Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Baggage Allowances and Items.

Baggage Allowances and Items.

Old Jan 25th 2009, 1:40 am
Mr.

MRNasher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Baggage Allowances and Items.

Hi all... i did a search already but didnt find a thread on this topic (if there is one and i missed it i'm sorry to be a pain) but...

I am currently 3 months+ down the I129F path to my new life and bride in America and am hoping for the call for the interview and medical in London and i have some questions about getting ready.

I was wondering how i find out whats allowable for checked luggage (i guess that the normal rules of the airport and airline apply)... but more importantly anything i should be thinking about or avoiding to help customs go smoothly at the other end, the last thing i want to do is screw up at that final hurdle.

Its just I have started my packing already and i want to take several hundred CDs, DVDs (all originals of course) harddrives, computer chips and components, electronic equipment, books as well as loads of those lil things that make up our lives.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice from experience I and we could learn from.

Thank you for your time,

Mark.

Last edited by MRNasher; Jan 25th 2009 at 2:01 am.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 2:15 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baggage Allowances and Items.

Hi,

Its been ages and ages since we moved over to the US and I'm sure lots of things have changed with regard to moving stuff out here so I can't really help with any advice. But I wanted to welcome you to the site. We've got a great bunch of members here and I'm sure someone will be along shortly to share their tips.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 3:34 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

We entered in December, and flew with Delta.

We had two bags each (6 of us traveling) and we fit all our CD's, DVD's etc in the cases. Don't forget you'll need a region free DVD player for your DVD's.

As far as the computer stuff goes, we didn't want to chance putting it in the baggage, so we packed it all up and shipped it the day before we left with DHL. It arrived 2 days after us in perfect condition. It cost about 100 quid to do it but it was worth not worrying about it. If you are going to do that, when you go to your DHL servicepoint they have a list of allowed Items and they do check everything as you pack it so they know what is going in. To be on the safe side we emailed DHL customer service before we went down to verify they could take it and took the confirmation email along with us to the service point, but there were no problems that meant we had to produce it.

If you look on the terms of carriage for the airline you are traveling with, it will tell you what they will and won't allow - its all in the small print so you may have to look closely at it.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 10:53 am
Mr.

Yeah thanks for that.. I guess i worried myself after watching one of those airport security shows last night and saw all the stupid stuff that people get caught with as they try to enter a country and get fined for or deported.

I was thinking i dont want to be caught for import duty by bringing in too much of something or doing anything silly with packing stuff thats gonna cause trouble with customs.

I'll check with the airline when i know when i'm going and as you say look at shipping privately at the same time. As it is I'm selling off most of what i own and buying new in the states.. but a lot of my music and dvds and gadgets are kinda dear to me still.

Cheers,

Mark.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

harddrives, computer chips and components,

Do urself a favor dont put this in ur luggage for the plane. The last one i was on got held up and eveyone had to be taken off FBI arrived and questioned somepeople because their luggage was scanned and computer parts were found in the luggage. Held us up for many hours!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

zarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nicezarya is just really nice

Dammit so what about my computerrzz? I have 1 laptop 1 workstation and a lcd screen and a xbox. i need those things. :P
Old Jan 25th 2009, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zarya
Dammit so what about my computerrzz? I have 1 laptop 1 workstation and a lcd screen and a xbox. i need those things. :P
it does help if its assembled and not in bits..
Old Jan 25th 2009, 4:09 pm
Mr.

This is what i was thinking about.. i have a lot of useful pc bits and bobs.. several powerful graphics cards, processors, ram and good harddrives that i wanted to take with me and was thinking about stripping them out and packaging them separately.. without cables running everywhere.

I only want to take what i know is worth more to me than trying to sell of brand new parts making a horrid loss on what they cost me... but at the same time i dont want to do anything that would hinder my immigration.

I know you can have your laptop in the cabin with you these days. These things arent singled out by BAA Heathrow in their list of what you cannot take on board.. but all the same i can imagine the situation if i didnt take care to do things as right as possible.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 4:53 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MRNasher
This is what i was thinking about.. i have a lot of useful pc bits and bobs.. several powerful graphics cards, processors, ram and good harddrives that i wanted to take with me and was thinking about stripping them out and packaging them separately.. without cables running everywhere.

I only want to take what i know is worth more to me than trying to sell of brand new parts making a horrid loss on what they cost me... but at the same time i dont want to do anything that would hinder my immigration.

I know you can have your laptop in the cabin with you these days. These things arent singled out by BAA Heathrow in their list of what you cannot take on board.. but all the same i can imagine the situation if i didnt take care to do things as right as possible.
OK, some of the details of this article don't apply to K visas, but it might help you anyway.
Arriving In America: Navigating the POE

This page has several articles, including the one that will answer your Qs from this thread:
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/...ations/travel/

Moving Household Goods to the U.S.
Publication # 0000-0518
Covers importing household goods and personal effects for returning U.S. Residents, government and military employees, part-time residents, and first-time immigrants

You need to know this stuff from the TSA about what you can carry on and can't. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/index.shtm

PS: I carried computer parts back and forth many times.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 12:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Allowance depends on class and airline you fly, so ask the airline...

As for bringing puter stuff over, unless it's top end stuff, either ebay or chuck it, be cheaper and less hassle buying new over here....or if your really attached to the stuff, stick it in a box and ship it over, royal mail still does sea I think? US doesn't which is a chore....takes a while if you can do it, but it'll be cheaper than paying excess baggage. Don't carry it hand luggage, well the laptop would be alright.