Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question about high school

Question about high school

Old May 6th 2009, 1:29 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about high school

Originally Posted by spiced-cider
No worries, the three things you mention are already in place along with more besides.

I am just taking care of / investigating stuff that I an "in charge of" and curious about (for want of a better expression). If it all looks a bit "back to front" it's because my husband is sorting / investigating stuff of a more "important" nature in his own way.
In other words, you don't know how you're going to get your family to the US.

If you don't know what visa you're eligible for, you're most likely not going to be emigrating to the US.
Old May 6th 2009, 2:55 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I'd put her in the local community college to get a GED and then start working towards the first half of a degree. Transfer to a full university should be relatively easy after she's proved herself at community college, besides saving a fortune in fees.
I concur, that's a great suggestion.
Old May 7th 2009, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I'd put her in the local community college to get a GED and then start working towards the first half of a degree. Transfer to a full university should be relatively easy after she's proved herself at community college, besides saving a fortune in fees.
While what you said is true, I've always thought people really miss out who don't spend their full four years at a traditional university. The college experience reaches beyond earning the credits - I loved playing in the marching band, my sorority, and other clubs I was involved in. If I had started as a junior my experience would have been entirely different, and IMO, not nearly as fulfilling.
Old May 7th 2009, 2:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
While what you said is true, I've always thought people really miss out who don't spend their full four years at a traditional university. The college experience reaches beyond earning the credits - I loved playing in the marching band, my sorority, and other clubs I was involved in. If I had started as a junior my experience would have been entirely different, and IMO, not nearly as fulfilling.
You can do a lot of that at local colleges though...and you can get shit faced just as easily at a local college than in a proper uni dorm....
Old May 7th 2009, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You can do a lot of that at local colleges though...and you can get shit faced just as easily at a local college than in a proper uni dorm....
Just my opinion, having experienced being a student at a traditional four year college. I'm also not convinced that all community colleges are of the same standard, though I certainly see the cost benefits.
Old May 7th 2009, 4:23 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

It's a comfortable midway point for someone of that age. If you throw them into high school, they might not easily fit in at that age and with the culture gap. A university is unlikely to take them until they've proved themselves. You've got to remember that you're a 'Mericun born and bred.
Old May 7th 2009, 1:37 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly true in my case. In fact, in my case the credits were pretty much irrelevent....
Old May 7th 2009, 1:44 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teira
I don't think GCSE's are enough to get into university. You need A levels. So she might need to do her GED anyway. She doesn't HAVE to enroll in a US school and I'm not sure if she should or not but she could if she wanted too and it would probably be a good experiance and she'd get the chance to get her HSD there.
Plus, guidance counselors can be a great help in negotiating the college apps and transcripts, and all the other hoops one must jump through.
Old May 7th 2009, 9:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Just my opinion, having experienced being a student at a traditional four year college. I'm also not convinced that all community colleges are of the same standard, though I certainly see the cost benefits.
Aye, for an American, used to living here, it's probably a better option to do, but as a Brit moving over and on the cusp, community might be pretty good, as your kind of in the middle ground from school and college other wise, plus hopefully it'll get you out of international fees...

And the community colleges around where I am are pretty good, well the art and design type ones at least.