Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which is better?

Which is better?

Old May 8th 2009, 12:14 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which is better?

Since we are moving to Montana, should we wait to get James a drivers license in THAT state or just do it now in New York? If we opt to wait til we get to Montana, is there any harm in getting a New York State ID?
Old May 8th 2009, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which is better?

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint
Since we are moving to Montana, should we wait to get James a drivers license in THAT state or just do it now in New York?
If, in Montana, he'd need to do a written/driving test over again anyway, I'd say wait. If he can just turn in his NY license and get a MT one, then I suggest getting one now in NY.

If we opt to wait til we get to Montana, is there any harm in getting a New York State ID?
None at all.

Ian
Old May 8th 2009, 1:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

IMPOV, the issue is not the driver's test, both written and practical, but whether he will qualify for a license in either state. NYS [B][I]might[B][I] give him one with the K-1 but it would only be good for 90 days, the validity period of the K-1. He really won't have proof of status until he gets his EAD from the USCIS after filing for AOS.

He should go now to the social security office and get his social security number. He should not wait much longer to do so.
Old May 8th 2009, 2:20 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice! In ny I believe he has to sit a 5 hour class.. I'm not sure because its not very clear... Out in mt I think he just has to do the written and driving parts.

Anyone with experience about NY licensing?
Old May 8th 2009, 2:22 pm
Questy Questionson

About SS... We went tuesday this week, she did her thing in the system and gave us a letter stating they had to verifý documents with the dept of homeland security and that he should see his SS card in 6 to 8 weeks
Old May 8th 2009, 3:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

About SS... We went tuesday this week, she did her thing in the system and gave us a letter stating they had to verifý documents with the dept of homeland security and that he should see his SS card in 6 to 8 weeks
Oh no....that means you might have gone in TOO early, and his name wasn't in their system yet. If they had to do this verification, then he went in TOO early. You should go to the SS office about 10 - 14 days after arrival on a K-1.

You can go back to the office after a while and ask them to recheck whether his information is in their system yet, and get the card sooner, or you can just wait out the 8 weeks.

This happened to my husband as well, but it was because he was from Iran...we had no choice but to wait...it took 8 weeks to verify, then 2 weeks more to get the card in the mail.

Rene
Old May 8th 2009, 3:53 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

ap,

Moving when?

Regards, JEff

Since we are moving to Montana, should we wait to get James a drivers license in THAT state or just do it now in New York?
Old May 8th 2009, 4:08 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice! In ny I believe he has to sit a 5 hour class.. I'm not sure because its not very clear... Out in mt I think he just has to do the written and driving parts.

Anyone with experience about NY licensing?
In NYS you have to take a 5 hr class. They also expct you to turn in your UK licence. My friend from Ireland did not want to turn in her Irish licence so she just sadi she never had one and started from scratch.
Old May 8th 2009, 4:28 pm
Questy Questionson

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Oh no....that means you might have gone in TOO early, and his name wasn't in their system yet. If they had to do this verification, then he went in TOO early. You should go to the SS office about 10 - 14 days after arrival on a K-1.

You can go back to the office after a while and ask them to recheck whether his information is in their system yet, and get the card sooner, or you can just wait out the 8 weeks.

This happened to my husband as well, but it was because he was from Iran...we had no choice but to wait...it took 8 weeks to verify, then 2 weeks more to get the card in the mail.

Rene
it was 14 days on the spot.
Old May 8th 2009, 4:28 pm
Questy Questionson

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
ap,

Moving when?

Regards, JEff
1st or 2nd week of july
Old May 8th 2009, 5:03 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

ap,

Barely 2 months. I'd wait.

Regards, JEff

ap,

Moving when?

Regards, JEff
1st or 2nd week of july
Old May 8th 2009, 5:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

ap,

Barely 2 months. I'd wait.

Regards, JEff
He might even need his SSN in order to get a driver's license or state ID, so they might be forced to wait anyway. In another thread, agent has mentioned they are doing a manual verification on it, and he might not get it for another 8 weeks or so.

Rene