Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Qualifications

Qualifications

Old Jul 28th 2002, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

Ptarmigan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qualifications

Does anybody have any idea what the equivalent qualifications are in the US compared to UK ones. Also, how UK military service is looked upon by employers. I have 10 GCSEs, 2 A levels and have previously been an Officer in the British forces, what will US employers consider this to be worth?
Old Jul 28th 2002, 10:20 am
Blue Jjjj312412

Default Re: Qualifications

Hello there, If you go to the link below , then on the site page menu ' International
Home', EDEXCEL is one of the UK and also international examination boards. They may
have information about how to have your qualifications transferred or re
accredited...as I think they term it in the USA, through AACRAO, or the equivalent.
aol://4344:1805.edexcel.15111157.650130078 hope maybe this helps , best regards,
Jacqueline W

Old Jul 28th 2002, 4:25 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ptarmigan,

Have you looked at this

http://britishexpats.com/usa/article34.html

it compares and contrasts but does little else. The being an Army Officer (although it is important) does not have the same "old boys club" pull that it does in the UK. Saying that being ex-forces his held in higher esteem in America by employers than in the UK where sometimes it can hold you back.

I take it by your user name you where either an Signals officer or had some affiliation with signals when you where in the mob!

Someone posted a thread simular to this a while back and someone gave a list of Universities that would convert your Qualifications but I can't find it now.

Good luck
Old Jul 28th 2002, 8:06 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Found it....

For evaluation and assessment of education equivalency to degrees earned at an accredited institution in the US you will need assessment by:
Education International, 29 Denton Road, Wellesley, Massachusetts 02181.
Old Jul 28th 2002, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Ptarmigan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, I will get in touch with then.
Old Jul 29th 2002, 3:21 am
Robert

Ptarmigan <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Does anybody have any idea what the equivalent qualifications are in the US
    > compared to UK ones. Also, how UK military service is looked upon by employers. I
    > have 10 GCSEs, 2 A levels and have previously been an Officer in the British
    > forces, what will US employers consider this to be worth?
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Each college or university in the US has its own (I want to emphasize it one more
time, ITS OWN) criteria of evaluating foreign degrees and certificates. My suggestion
would be to contact the prospective school's admission's or registar's office and
they'll direct you to an appropriate agency or person or even may do it by themselves
to do the evaluation. There are some foreign degree evaluation agencies in the US,
but not all schools recognize them. So, the best way to go about this is: go to the
source, i.e. to your prospective school.

Robert