Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Providence, RI - Worth a trip and kid friendly?

Providence, RI - Worth a trip and kid friendly?

Old Oct 23rd 2011, 11:05 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Providence, RI - Worth a trip and kid friendly?

Originally Posted by hobbes79
The universe decided it for me... Mystic, CT it is.
Stonington (5 minutes' or so drive away) is worth a look. Not much happening but it's a nice historic, atmospheric little town on a small peninsula. Basically park up near the green upon arrival and stroll down the main street to the great water views towards the end. There's a little lighthouse museum and a small beach, and also a couple of places to eat. I prefer Stonington to Mystic, tbh.

Originally Posted by Rete
Great choice. There is a large seafood rest not far from the aquarium. Loved their lobsters.
It's called Go Fish, been there a few times. Slightly pricey but not eyewateringly so. There's a much more downmarket but serviceable place called Ten Clams in the neighbouring Old Mystick Village development that we tried a few weeks ago that wasn't bad either - a cheap fried seafood place that also does home-made ice cream.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=167592

I want to visit at some stage (I've only been through the center very briefly) but whenever I suggest it I usually get exclamations of horror from the rellies. People in the Boston area generally look down on Providence for 2 reasons - firstly the city used to be (and probably still is) seriously corrupt from the politicians to the police; secondly a large chunk of the city is post industrial and run down, in particular the south and the west. It has one of the higher poverty rates on the east coast. Unemployment is stubbornly high.

On the plus side - benefit street on the east side is an architectural showpiece. The 19th century downtown is largely intact and is steadily being revitalized. Apparently the restaurant scene is really good. Yeah - give it 5 years and it'll be a decent city break destination with the jewelry district re-connected to the city and the streetcar system which is going in.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Stonington (5 minutes' or so drive away) is worth a look.

There's a much more downmarket but serviceable place called Ten Clams in the neighbouring Old Mystick Village development that we tried a few weeks ago that wasn't bad either - a cheap fried seafood place that also does home-made ice cream.
Thank you to both you and Rete for the restaurant tips. Will post photos of the mini vacation when I get back