British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Providence, RI - Worth a trip and kid friendly? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/providence-ri-worth-trip-kid-friendly-736380/)

hobbes79 Oct 21st 2011 1:54 am

Providence, RI - Worth a trip and kid friendly?

Figuring out a weekend trip with the wife and 2 kids while we still cling on to a little more decent weather.

Figured on something not too far away. Never been to Providence and it's only about 90-mins from where we are. Could get there and back in a day, but thought we'd make a weekend break of it and spend a Sat night there in a hotel.

But I'm struggling to judge it... is it kid friendly? Only thing people seem to know it for at my office is strip clubs and legal prostitution - I appear to hang out with the wrong crowd :blink:

I'm not looking for vacation of a life time in 48 hours, but is it safe and with a few family friendly things to do? Museums? Sights? Does it have a downtown of significance?

Thanks!

tonrob Oct 21st 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Providence, RI - Worth a trip and kid friendly?

Originally Posted by hobbes79 (Post 9686994)
Figuring out a weekend trip with the wife and 2 kids while we still cling on to a little more decent weather.

Figured on something not too far away. Never been to Providence and it's only about 90-mins from where we are. Could get there and back in a day, but thought we'd make a weekend break of it and spend a Sat night there in a hotel.

But I'm struggling to judge it... is it kid friendly? Only thing people seem to know it for at my office is strip clubs and legal prostitution - I appear to hang out with the wrong crowd :blink:

I'm not looking for vacation of a life time in 48 hours, but is it safe and with a few family friendly things to do? Museums? Sights? Does it have a downtown of significance?

Thanks!

My perception is that Providence is a bit of a crime-ridden dump with a few nice bits slipped in. There's a big, modern shopping mall in the heart of downtown, and just adjacent to it is the Riverwalk which is nice for a stroll on a sunny day. There's some nice architecture around (State Capitol and around) which I like to photograph. There's also a great (kid-friendly) brewpub around the corner, and a kind of (little) Little Italy beyond that. If you've not been before I reckon you could cobble the best part of a day together out of these. I'd be tempted to grab a hotel downtown as the outlying areas are the bits that really are not nice. There used to be a ferry trip you could do to Newport but they axed that a couple of years ago.

Aside from these I think there's not too much else. I've stayed overnight in Providence a number of times but always as a stopping-off point to somewhere else (e.g. en route to the Cape, or to New Bedford for the ferry).

Rete Oct 21st 2011 12:54 pm

Why not a little further and try Mystic, Connecticut. Definitely a kid's place.

rpjs Oct 21st 2011 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9687764)

Or my wife's home town, Narragansett, RI. OH thinks it's the best beach in the world and I have to admit I've been to the Bahamas and the south of France and Gansett has better sand than either.

Some great seafood restaurants down at Point Judith; George's and Champlains and it's easy to get to Newport for a tour round the mansions.

Bob Oct 21st 2011 6:54 pm

It's a okay day trip, if you catch a Pawsox game for cheap....but it's a smaller, shitter version version of Boston, without the things to do after you've walked the main road kind of thing.

Hasbro isn't far away and they have a okay shop for stuff, but not much to see there either.

I'd do a weekend away to some seaport town in CT if I were you, this time of year a B&B will be cheap as chips and there'll be a lot more to browse around and see.

Rete Oct 21st 2011 6:55 pm

If you're going down to Point Judith take the ferry across to Block Island. I love BI

GeoffM Oct 21st 2011 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9687764)

+1

hobbes79 Oct 21st 2011 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9688361)
it's a smaller, shitter version version of Boston

Do you work for the Providence tourist board? :)

Thanks everyone for all the info! Sounds like it's possible and probably could scrape together a couple of days, but I'll check out Mystic, CT. Looks like another 30-mins in car, so very do-able.

Will let you (all of BE waits with baited breath)!

njmackem Oct 21st 2011 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by hobbes79 (Post 9686994)

Thanks!

I just spent last weekend in Providence helping with the University Choices. In the weekend i was there with Mrs njmackem there were 2 drive by shootings and a stabbing. There is a problem with homelessness as well. Its a big old sh*t hole to be honest and I would not recommend it to anyone.

Jerseygirl Oct 21st 2011 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by njmackem (Post 9688542)
I just spent last weekend in Providence helping with the University Choices. In the weekend i was there with Mrs njmackem there were 2 drive by shootings and a stabbing. There is a problem with homelessness as well. Its a big old sh*t hole to be honest and I would not recommend it to anyone.

That's the impression we got when we went to look round Brown Uni.

Bob Oct 22nd 2011 12:18 am

Originally Posted by hobbes79 (Post 9688406)
Do you work for the Providence tourist board? :)

:lol: indeed :D

Whizzed through the area a couple of times and yeah, really not up to much, though it is trying to improve and revitalise the downtown, so in a couple of years it might be worth it.

As it is, only decent stuff RI offers, toll free motorways, Pawsox as a cheap alternative to the Redsox and the airport is a pretty cheap and decent internal hub.

That and apparently some of the most corrupt government in the country, though what the dodgy geezers are getting for their corruption is anyone's guess :D

hobbes79 Oct 22nd 2011 12:57 am

Yeah, I'm swaying way toward Mystic, CT at this point - looks like lots to offer even if we're a little late in the season.

I'll check out hotels and see how they hit the wallet as the deciding factor!

hobbes79 Oct 22nd 2011 1:09 pm

The universe decided it for me... Mystic, CT it is.

Was planning everything for next weekend. Looked at things to do in Mystic and the aquarium seemed a winner, but was expensive. Then checked groupon on a whim, and turns out they have half price tickets for next weekend!

http://www.groupon.com/deals/mystic-...ford?c=all&p=6

Looks like they have a few halloween in town themed things going on, so should be some fun.

Hotel booked. Groupons purchased. Job's a good 'un :thumbsup:

Thanks again everyone for the advice. We may pop into Providence on the way to at least take a photo, while avoiding drive bys, homeless prostitutes, etc, etc :)

rpjs Oct 22nd 2011 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by hobbes79 (Post 9689559)
Thanks again everyone for the advice. We may pop into Providence on the way to at least take a photo, while avoiding drive bys, homeless prostitutes, etc, etc :)

If you should be heading between Mystic and Providence in the morning, stop for breakfast at Phil's on Main Street, Wakefield, RI. Best home fries in the north-east and insanely cheap.

Rete Oct 22nd 2011 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by hobbes79 (Post 9689559)
The universe decided it for me... Mystic, CT it is.

:)

Great choice. There is a large seafood rest not far from the aquarium. Loved their lobsters.

Also if you are into submarines, you can hop down to Gorton, CT .. about 20 minutes south of Mystic on I-95 and tour one of the subs.

Or on Sunday look into taking a clipper ship ride from the Mystic. I did the weekend trip years back and it was fantastic. Or you can go just for the day. They cook lunch onboard and you should be back in port by 4 in the afternoon.