Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Property Taxes?

Wikiposts

Property Taxes?

Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property Taxes?

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Yeah, even the "common" one is labelled "oriental."

We have cicadas every year and we used to climb trees to catch them when I was a girl. They are "dog-day" cicadas since they emerge as adults in the late summer.
I'm planing to spend the summer of 2013 overseas.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm planing to spend the summer of 2013 overseas.
Lol - I got desensitized pretty quickly - but did freak out when I found one sitting on my skirt staring up at me.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:40 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007

Oh my gosh JG - do they have striped legs? We have a scary bug I've seen in the basement - and I have no idea what it is - but it will jump at you - and has tiger striped long legs.
Sounds like it... the downside to having a basement, especially if it can't be kept very very dry.

Read an interesting tip for controlling them.... a guinea hen!
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like it... the downside to having a basement, especially if it can't be kept very very dry.

Read an interesting tip for controlling them.... a guinea hen!
I'm kind of excited. A co-worker and I both have them in our basements, and are scared of them, but never knew what they were! The legs on these are distinctive, and the jumping is scary. The few times I've seen one it's jumped at me in the laundry room.

Now I just need a guinea hen eh? Lol.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my gosh JG - do they have striped legs? We have a scary bug I've seen in the basement - and I have no idea what it is - but it will jump at you - and has tiger striped long legs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicada

As far as Palmetto bugs are concerned...they are huge flying roaches...they generally live in palm trees. The only one I've ever seen was in our hotel room in Ft Lauderdale...we checked out the next day.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicada

As far as Palmetto bugs are concerned...they are huge flying roaches...they generally live in palm trees. The only one I've ever seen was in our hotel room in Ft Lauderdale...we checked out the next day.
Oh - I meant the cave crickets you talked about that I'm not familiar with. Did they have striped legs?
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:53 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

http://flickr.com/photos/mkullen/237129803/

This guy?
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 4:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Oh - I meant the cave crickets you talked about that I'm not familiar with. Did they have striped legs?
I think some do:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

The first time I saw one I said...oh that's a strange spider. It was about 1 1/2" in size but somehow at first glance didn't look exactly like a spider. They appear to jump backwards.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:12 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

I think some do:

The first time I saw one I said...oh that's a strange spider. It was about 1 1/2" in size but somehow at first glance didn't look exactly like a spider. They appear to jump backwards.
I have just read the last few posts about bugs........my skin is crawling.

We have lots of cicadas in the trees and they drop down onto you if you sit underneath...so I never do.

Last summer I found an assasin bug in the front garden and that diminished my ability to go outside for a while.

We also get nasty things called house centipedes. They can be quite long and move very quickly.

Our house has a balcony at the front and on our first morning here, I stepped out onto it, full of anticipation of life in a new land, only to find a praying mantis the size of a small car looking at me from the balcony rail.
I don't go out there much any more.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think some do:

Okay - my skin is crawling now. That's exactly what it is. I'd recognize those legs anywhere.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jumping doris
I have just read the last few posts about bugs........my skin is crawling.

We have lots of cicadas in the trees and they drop down onto you if you sit underneath...so I never do.

Last summer I found an assasin bug in the front garden and that diminished my ability to go outside for a while.

We also get nasty things called house centipedes. They can be quite long and move very quickly.

Our house has a balcony at the front and on our first morning here, I stepped out onto it, full of anticipation of life in a new land, only to find a praying mantis the size of a small car looking at me from the balcony rail.
I don't go out there much any more.
At least your praying mantis eats other nasties, but I agree - I'd rather not have to look at them up close.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:03 am
Lapine Member

At least your praying mantis eats other nasties, but I agree - I'd rather not have to look at them up close.
Nah, they are cool to look at and unlike cave crickets they don't jump at you.

BOO!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Nah, they are cool to look at and unlike cave crickets they don't jump at you.

BOO!
One landed on my head whilst I was sunbathing...I shook my hair and it fell on the floor and slowly walked away. It was too bloomin' big for me to stand on...I've only got small feet.