Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Processing time for US citizenship.

Processing time for US citizenship.

Old Aug 7th 2009, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of
Default Processing time for US citizenship.

I sent my application form for applying for US citizenship on July 20. I am wondering how to find out the status as I haven't had a receipt yet. On the USCIS site there is supposed to be a table showing processing times at each center but I can't find one for where I sent mine - lockbox facility at Lewisville, TX. I live in SC and I am sure I sent it to the right place. Anyone have any ideas where I can access this information, I just want to know they have received my form and check. Also, can anyone tell me what the steps are leading to the interview, and how much notice you get of the interview date?
Old Aug 7th 2009, 3:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Processing time for US citizenship.

Originally Posted by aes1
I sent my application form for applying for US citizenship on July 20. I am wondering how to find out the status as I haven't had a receipt yet. On the USCIS site there is supposed to be a table showing processing times at each center but I can't find one for where I sent mine - lockbox facility at Lewisville, TX. I live in SC and I am sure I sent it to the right place. Anyone have any ideas where I can access this information, I just want to know they have received my form and check. Also, can anyone tell me what the steps are leading to the interview, and how much notice you get of the interview date?
For the processing times, look up your field office rather than the service center, here: https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processT...RPyP2R7LcHy1ls

When you get your receipt from USCIS with a case number, you can track your own progress online using your case number (which may or may not be updated online...it's not highly reliable).

After you receive the USCIS notice which says they've received your N-400, you'll receive a biometrics appointment letter. After that, nothing until you receive your interview appointment letter.

We got about a month notice before the interview. If you recommended for approval, your oath ceremony could be the same day of your interview, or a month or more later.

Here in Phoenix, the overall process, from filing N-400 to the Oath ceremony took only 5 months.

Rene
Old Aug 7th 2009, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Noorah101
For the processing times, look up your field office rather than the service center, here: https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processT...RPyP2R7LcHy1ls

When you get your receipt from USCIS with a case number, you can track your own progress online using your case number (which may or may not be updated online...it's not highly reliable).

After you receive the USCIS notice which says they've received your N-400, you'll receive a biometrics appointment letter. After that, nothing until you receive your interview appointment letter.

We got about a month notice before the interview. If you recommended for approval, your oath ceremony could be the same day of your interview, or a month or more later.

Here in Phoenix, the overall process, from filing N-400 to the Oath ceremony took only 5 months.

Rene
Thanks, still haven't received my receipt though, as far as I can tell they have done nothing since 7/15 and I sent mine 7/20. Guess it will come when it is supposed to!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 7:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, still haven't received my receipt though, as far as I can tell they have done nothing since 7/15 and I sent mine 7/20. Guess it will come when it is supposed to!
Should be anytime now...it can take several weeks for them to generate the notice.

Rene
Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

RJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really niceRJHayes000 is just really nice

I also live in Charleston, SC. Specifically North Charleston, where the police helicopters fly.

Apparently there is a British Club and a lot of football (aka Soccer) activity down here if you like that sort of thing.

When I had to go to see the Immigration people (eg Green card) it is at their building in West Ashley near the A.F.T. offices. I'm not any good with street names (despite living here for 6 years now) but it's in Parkshore Center near a Bridge and there's a fountain outside the complex. So, good luck with those directions !

Where did you take the Citizenship test / classes ? Since that is what I'll probably end up doing at some point as they keep putting up the fees for the Green card renewal.

1492 !
Thirteen Colonies = stripes !
The President !

As you can see, I'm feeling pretty confident about that one.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by RJHayes000
Where did you take the Citizenship test / classes ?
The OP hasn't taken the test yet. He just submitted the N-400 a few weeks ago.

Rene
Old Aug 8th 2009, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

John Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud of

It looks like you filed in the right town:
USCIS
P.O. Box 299026
Lewisville, TX 75029

That is the address I saw on the USCIS page for SC (I assume you mean South Carolina not Southern California).

About receipts, I have experienced a wide variety of processing times for when USCIS issues a receipt. Most times, I have received a receipt within two weeks of filing the petition. At the other end of the spectrum, I have waited 6-7 weeks to receive a receipt as well. USCIS staffing levels increase or decrease and the processing times fluctuate.

Also, if you have a deficient filing (forgot to enclose filing fee, incorrect fee amount, etc...), they will likely send you back the whole package and not issue a receipt.

Old Aug 8th 2009, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by John Manley
It looks like you filed in the right town:
USCIS
P.O. Box 299026
Lewisville, TX 75029

That is the address I saw on the USCIS page for SC (I assume you mean South Carolina not Southern California).

About receipts, I have experienced a wide variety of processing times for when USCIS issues a receipt. Most times, I have received a receipt within two weeks of filing the petition. At the other end of the spectrum, I have waited 6-7 weeks to receive a receipt as well. USCIS staffing levels increase or decrease and the processing times fluctuate.

Also, if you have a deficient filing (forgot to enclose filing fee, incorrect fee amount, etc...), they will likely send you back the whole package and not issue a receipt.

Thanks for everyone's advice/info. I am still patiently waiting for my receipt, it will be 3 weeks on Monday. Do they cash in the check before or after they send out the receipt? I keep checking my account for a debit but nothing so far. Yes, South Carolina, and this State is not known for doing anything fast! As to British Club, where is that? A friend and I tried to start one (James Island) but no one was really interested so we gave up.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Do they cash in the check before or after they send out the receipt?
There's no way to know... because *they* don't cash the check. It's sent to the Department of the Treasury for deposit.

Ian
Old Aug 10th 2009, 3:32 am
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

I submitted my papers for citizenship early April and have the ceremony on Wednesday... so it has been fast!
Old Aug 10th 2009, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

Liza is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello! I think you are right, it could be any day now! I noticed the check cleared the bank first, a few weeks after mailing app. The receipt notice followed within a week.

Good Luck!
Liza

I mailed my app April 10th and my ceremony is on August 21st. (Congrats Scotch03)
Old Aug 10th 2009, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Liza
Hello! I think you are right, it could be any day now! I noticed the check cleared the bank first, a few weeks after mailing app. The receipt notice followed within a week.

Good Luck!
Liza

I mailed my app April 10th and my ceremony is on August 21st. (Congrats Scotch03)
Thanks both, keep waiting with fingers and toes crossed for check to clear and receipt to arrive.