Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

problem with DMV california because no SSN

problem with DMV california because no SSN

Old Oct 11th 2011, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: problem with DMV california because no SSN

Originally Posted by N1cky
Kept having to get a temporary 3 month paper license.
what a phucing nightmare. Did your auto insurance take a hit?
Old Oct 12th 2011, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Oh I have this all to come....but with Florida DMW....oh what joy!
Old Oct 12th 2011, 2:00 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I don't know where you are in California but all offices in the Silicon Valley know that you are eligible for a drivers license since they process so many every year. If you are still having a problem after talking to the supervisor, go to an office in a nearby larger city.
I was not on a H4 but had no SSN and got a licence at the Modesto DMV.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 8:32 pm
N-B
Just Joined

N-B is an unknown quantity at this point

In response to the original post -
Why are you trying to apply for a Commercial Driving Licence if you aren't even eligible for an SSN (and presumably not eligible to work)?
Surely you can just apply for the basic Non-Commercial Class C licence?
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N-B
... if you aren't even eligible for an SSN (and presumably not eligible to work)?
You don't need a SSN in order to be eligible to work.

Ian
Old Jan 5th 2012, 11:55 pm
N-B
Just Joined

N-B is an unknown quantity at this point

My apologies, I wasn't aware that was possible - under what circumstance?
Old Jan 6th 2012, 12:15 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N-B
My apologies, I wasn't aware that was possible - under what circumstance?
The SSN is not an work authorization document of any sort, so you don't ever need a SSN to be eligible to work. It very handy when it comes time to get paid, but that's an entirely separate issue!

Ian
Old Jan 6th 2012, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

When I got my license in Indiana, I was still on the K-3 visa, and had a Taxpayer Identification Number.