Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

problem with DMV california because no SSN

problem with DMV california because no SSN

Old Oct 11th 2011, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of
Default problem with DMV california because no SSN

Hi
I went to pass my writting test this morning and they told me I could not complete the process because I dont have a SSN number. I show them the letter from the SSA that I am not eligible but they did not want to hear anything...
their website do say
If you are legally present in the U.S., but ineligible for an SSN, you are exempt from the DMV SSN requirement. You may start an application for a noncommercial driver license or ID card, and once your eligibility status is verified, DMV will complete your application. You must still provide an acceptable Birth Date/Legal Presence document for any future DL/ID card application or provide a valid SSN. You may not start an original Commercial Class A, B, or C application until DMV visually verifies your SSN
so basically im stuck between the two agencies and not sure what to do
I know there have been threads on this before but does anyone with a H4 visa managed to have a drivers licence? and if so how?
thank you very much
a frustrated Laety
Old Oct 11th 2011, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: problem with DMV california because no SSN

Originally Posted by laety
Hi
I went to pass my writting test this morning and they told me I could not complete the process because I dont have a SSN number. I show them the letter from the SSA that I am not eligible but they did not want to hear anything...
their website do say
If you are legally present in the U.S., but ineligible for an SSN, you are exempt from the DMV SSN requirement. You may start an application for a noncommercial driver license or ID card, and once your eligibility status is verified, DMV will complete your application. You must still provide an acceptable Birth Date/Legal Presence document for any future DL/ID card application or provide a valid SSN. You may not start an original Commercial Class A, B, or C application until DMV visually verifies your SSN
so basically im stuck between the two agencies and not sure what to do
I know there have been threads on this before but does anyone with a H4 visa managed to have a drivers licence? and if so how?
thank you very much
a frustrated Laety
I had to do the exact same thing as I am on a H4 in Indiana. When I moved and wanted to change my address on my licence I had to get another letter from the SSA saying the same things as the first letter but it had to be more recent! The first person I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about so I had to speak to someone else. You will probably have to ask to speak to a supervisor or something. Maybe take a screen print of their website that says what they have to do with people without SSN just in case they don't know what they are supposed to!

If I move again before we get GC (that is if we even get GC) I will need to take a letter from the SSA, a copy of our lease for the new place we are moving to, my expired passport with my H4 in it and my new valid passport. The really annoying this is that I do have a SSN but it is in my maiden name and the SSA won't change it to my married name as I have 'no legal authorization to work and therefore no need to have it amended'!
Old Oct 11th 2011, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really nice

Don't give up. When being refused due to lack of SSN you should have asked for two things :
- Written explanation why you were refused
- To speak with the persons manager/supervisor.
This normally wakes them up, and makes them start thinking.

What you may do now, is to write the state DMV/transportation agency, and explain your situation, and why you were refused. Most likely they'll respond, and ask you to schedule a new meeting at the DMV, and bring the letter from them + supporting documents.

We went through something similar when trying to get a license for B2-cohab visa holder.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't bother writing to them, I'd just go back down to the DMV and ask to speak to someone who knows what they are supposed to!
Old Oct 11th 2011, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of

thats great! ill try to go back and speak to a manager, and if not ill write a letter like you said! i soo thought I was going to be ok.. at least ive done the written test, that was the most worrying thing for me!
Old Oct 11th 2011, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to America, where the index finger does not know what the little finger is doing.

Last edited by E3only; Oct 11th 2011 at 6:37 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

reading the ssa letter it says im not eligible but also say is not a proof of ineligibilty! a bit confusing I htink..
im on a line now with them to see what they advise... ahhh its going to be a fun day I think!
Old Oct 11th 2011, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know where you are in California but all offices in the Silicon Valley know that you are eligible for a drivers license since they process so many every year. If you are still having a problem after talking to the supervisor, go to an office in a nearby larger city.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

I've been through nine months of this type of nonsensical behaviour and am still without a driving licence. I contacted the SC senator's office 2 weeks ago and they are mediating on my behalf. I spent 6 months in Indiana and went to DMV 14 times and am now in SC for 3 months and have been 6 times. I am done with them...
Old Oct 11th 2011, 7:17 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I don't know where you are in California but all offices in the Silicon Valley know that you are eligible for a drivers license since they process so many every year. If you are still having a problem after talking to the supervisor, go to an office in a nearby larger city.
You'd think, but it has just taken me 10 months to get my renewal, and I have a SSN. They kept saying they were checking my legal presense, despite me going to the office twice with my visa and passport, faxing a copy and mailing 2 copies.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
You'd think, but it has just taken me 10 months to get my renewal, and I have a SSN. They kept saying they were checking my legal presense, despite me going to the office twice with my visa and passport, faxing a copy and mailing 2 copies.
So in the meanwhile, how does one drive?
Old Oct 11th 2011, 8:39 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
So in the meanwhile, how does one drive?
Kept having to get a temporary 3 month paper license.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

They are beyond stupid.

They even have a dedicated telephone line for problems, which puts you into another circle of Hell.

My daughter is about to start driving, so here we go again
Old Oct 11th 2011, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

so I just went back to the SSA and he printed another letter (same one but with a mention that Im an H4) and then I went back to the DMV and they agreed to let me pass the driving (so thats on monday). They however gave me the legal presence in sacramento contact details, and said to call them because their system insist I should get a SSN number!! I called this number and she said "they should know that you dont need a SSN if you are H4, I dont understand why they give you a hard time"... she also said not to worry about it because once i do my driving test, they send the details to them, they review, see that im a H4 and everything should be ok... so lets see
Ill keep you posted!
Old Oct 11th 2011, 9:33 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Kept having to get a temporary 3 month paper license.
Ugh, me too. When the 3-month paper license from my behind-the-wheel test expired, my license card still hadn't arrived. I ambled into the local California DMV to ask for a new 3-monther. I'd heard production on the CA license card was running slow -- apparently, whole faulty batches keep being sent back to the manufacturer -- but that the DMV could easily print me out another temporary.

Waited 2.5 hours, as had made no appointment (I should've known better, but it takes a few weeks to get an appointment at my DMV, and I wasn't sure if I could drive in the meantime).

Got to see very nice member of staff. Was then told whole spiel about non-timely verification of legal presence docs -- I'm on a J2, which is good for another year -- and that I had to restart my application. I'd brought my passport and stuff, but had failed to remember my SSN. Went home in rage.

Came back two days later with appropriate pile of paperwork. Waited a scant two hours. Filled out an application form, again, had my visa docs checked by multiple staff members, again, got fingerprinted and photographed, again.

At this point, they'd broken my spirit, and so I was just pathetically happy not to have to repay fees or retake my tests. The struggle was finished. I loved the DMV.

Now I have another 3-monther, and I bet I'll be back at the DMV by Christmas. My advice:

* if you're waiting for your license card, think ahead and make an appointment at your local DMV for around the time it expires. If the card does arrive before then, great. If it doesn't, at least you won't waste entire days in the DMV.

I was told that you can't legally drive if your CA temp license has expired and your license card hasn't arrived -- even though, of course, you've passed all the CA written and practical tests. I don't know if this is true, but I took the stinking bus to the DMV anyway, which was particularly galling considering what I pay for car insurance.

It's like a crazy little nation to itself, the DMV. The second time I was waiting, someone who'd arrived about an hour after me offered me hard cash for my counter ticket. I had something like G50, she had Gmillion and they were currently serving Gminus1.

(Also, for those in a similar situation: I began my license application with no SSN, as I'm a J2. The DMV accepted my not-eligible-for-a-SSN letter. Eventually I got my SSN, but I didn't realize you're supposed to tell the DMV when you do. I only noticed that on the application form the second time around.)

Last edited by MoshiMoshi; Oct 11th 2011 at 9:45 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.