Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Price of gas update...

Price of gas update...

Old Nov 30th 2014, 3:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price of gas update...

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
Also while I was in Phoenix last week I saw a advert for VW TDIs on the television. It was a group of men at a bar that wanted to go 'somewhere different to their local' so they took a trip to Flagstaff because the VW TDI has such good MPG it was no big deal. It will be interesting to see if it all kicks off.
I wouldn't get a VW at the moment because they are all ugly, some very ugly. I aspire to a BMW, but we still have life in our Accord: the dämn thing just won't die, but you can't beat depreciation-free car ownership.
Old Nov 30th 2014, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You're talking about a diesel engine that Buick/GM developed in the US? I think I heard about that. ..... No this was a Vauxhall (GM), which I believe was designed in Germany by Opel (GM), and fitted with a diesel engine that originated in a joint venture between GM and Fiat.
This was the one. I guess they were designed in Detroit since they were 4.3L or 5.7L.

Oldsmobile produced various Diesel engines from 1978 to 1985. Sales peaked in 1981 at approximately 310,000 units, which represented 60% of the total U.S. passenger vehicle Diesel market, but this success was short lived. Sales quickly declined over the next several years as gasoline prices dropped. Additionally, the Oldsmobile Diesel had gained a reputation for unreliability and anemic performance that damaged the North American passenger Diesel market for the next 20 years. Nonetheless, the strong blocks continue to see use in petrol-powered race engines.

Large volumes of diesel fuel containing water or foreign particles were sold around the time of the introduction of the Oldsmobile diesel engines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Diesel_engine
Old Nov 30th 2014, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I do need to get a new vehicle but for the first time I am at a loss.

Most of my trips are either 25 or 100 miles not a lot of traffic but usually 65 or so limit.

The complicating factor is Muppet on the left.my luggage needs are otherwise limited. He like the F150, Ranger is too small but both have seen better days. A turbo diesel something with a bit of space for him.
According to the article, you'll pay as much as a $5,000 premium for pickup trucks with heavy duty diesels. If it is primarily used for highway miles and an alternate gasoline truck used regular gasoline, the pay back will be quicker but if the alternate used premium gas, the payback may take significantly longer.

Also check that there is a discount gas station that has diesel pumps near you since you don't want to have to fill up at the more expensive gas stations or travel significantly out of the way to fill up.

Gas vs. diesel vs. hybrid: Which car engine is best for you and the environment? | ExtremeTech
Old Nov 30th 2014, 6:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Jeep is the only one that makes much sense.

But I would be basically choosing a dog transporter.
Old Nov 30th 2014, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler
The Jeep is the only one that makes much sense.

But I would be basically choosing a dog transporter.
The turbo diesel appears to have less than a 20% better fuel economy overall than the gasoline engine but according to Gas Buddy, currently there appears to be over a 25% difference (about $0.75 per gallon) in price between diesel and regular gasoline and over 15% (about $0.50 per gallon) between diesel and premium gasoline. Use the tabs to change between diesel, regular, and premium prices. It appears the refiners are currently making a killing on diesel fuel.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel review - CNET

However what is reported by EIA is not quit as big of a difference. That's probably because the cheapest gas stations don't have diesel fuel pumps (Costco and ARCO for San Jose) .

U.S. Gasoline and Diesel Retail Prices

Last edited by Michael; Nov 30th 2014 at 8:13 am.
Old Nov 30th 2014, 1:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
The turbo diesel appears to have less than a 20% better fuel economy overall than the gasoline engine but according to .....
It's hard to make such a sweeping statement without knowing what is being compared to what. BMW is currently advertising a 5 Series turbo-diesel in the UK that is capable of 72 mpg on highways, 55mpg urban, and an over all average of 65.7mpg, which is rather more than 20% better than any petrol powered 5 Series BMW sold in the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 30th 2014 at 2:32 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2014, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to make such a sweeping statement without knowing what is being compared to what. BMW is currently advertising a 5 Series turbo-diesel in the UK that is capable of 72 mpg on highways, 55mpg urban, and an over all average of 65.7mpg, which is rather more than 20% better than any 5 Series BMW sold in the US.
That's easily right, my BMW was the higher spec model, the one you are talking about would be the 2 litre version, which still packs a lot of kick! BMWs may be expensive but when you are in one and driving one you understand why.
Old Nov 30th 2014, 4:08 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to make such a sweeping statement without knowing what is being compared to what. BMW is currently advertising a 5 Series turbo-diesel in the UK that is capable of 72 mpg on highways, 55mpg urban, and an over all average of 65.7mpg, which is rather more than 20% better than any petrol powered 5 Series BMW sold in the US.
You are aware that UK mpg is using a rather bigger gallon, correct? Around 20% different, FWIW
Old Nov 30th 2014, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
You are aware that UK mpg is using a rather bigger gallon, correct? Around 20% different, FWIW
16.85% different.

To get from say 30mpg (US gal, gas) to 65mpg (Imp gal, diesel) requires rather more than adjustment by 1.2².

Taking 30mpg (US) as the base would get to get to less than 45mpg, in fact using the actual US gal/Imp gal conversion, and the notional 20% economy difference would only get you to 43.3mpg (imperial)
Old Nov 30th 2014, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was referring to the Jeep turbo diesel compared to the Jeep gasoline engine of the same size in the article which is 21-28 instead of 17-24. He said the Jeep is the only one that makes sense so unless you can find something of a similar size, referring to the BMW 5 series doesn't solve his problem.
Old Nov 30th 2014, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Land Rover LR3 TDV6 27mpg, Land Rover LR3 V8 gas 14mpg. I only know that because that is the vehicle I will be buying in AZ.
Old Nov 30th 2014, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Michael
I was referring to the Jeep turbo diesel compared to the Jeep gasoline engine of the same size in the article which is 21-28 instead of 17-24. He said the Jeep is the only one that makes sense so unless you can find something of a similar size, referring to the BMW 5 series doesn't solve his problem.
You realise this is the "price of gas" thread, not the "lets discuss buying a diesel Jeep" thread, don't you?
Old Nov 30th 2014, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Kum & Go wanted 3.09

I came and went.
Old Nov 30th 2014, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought my first gallon of gas for less than $3 yesterday. I love America!!
Old Nov 30th 2014, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by markonline1
I bought my first gallon of gas for less than $3 yesterday. I love America!!
I remember paying less than $1, no special discounts, no loyalty card, no members' club, just drive up and pay less than a dollar. $0.969 IIRC, and I think it was in 1999. Unfortunately it is going to remain a memory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.