Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Prem baby to be born in Phily - advice please!!

Prem baby to be born in Phily - advice please!!

Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prem baby to be born in Phily - advice please!!

OP - I hope that everything is OK? We are here for you if you need us.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Southsearocks is a name known to allSouthsearocks is a name known to allSouthsearocks is a name known to allSouthsearocks is a name known to allSouthsearocks is a name known to allSouthsearocks is a name known to allSouthsearocks is a name known to allSouthsearocks is a name known to allSouthsearocks is a name known to allSouthsearocks is a name known to allSouthsearocks is a name known to all

Hi Ozzidoc,

Thank you. We are still here three weeks later and no sign the baby is ready to show yet. Still on bedrest in the hospital. It's getting harder but every day is a bonus.

I posted separately about our VWP and got some advice there so we need to sort that out. Still haven't been able to get through to the British Consulate in Philly - I've been ringing but there's been no answer and I can't find an email address. We'll keep trying....

Old Jan 16th 2011, 5:47 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

The Consul from Florida & parts south posts here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=93085
I think it would be alright to contact him to ask for some help reaching his colleague in Philly. You might link your 2 threads to him in a message for reference.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:41 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to add a best of luck from us Weeze's as well. Try to not get too bored on the bed rest and if you are not already a member, babycentre.co.uk will try and keep you sane as well.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 11:31 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

As far as the insurance goes, I was diagnosed with a serious illness while I was in the US some years and my travel insurance covered everything - however I've never been able to get travel insurance since. Or rather, I could get it but it's not worth the paper it's printed on. There are sorts of obscure clauses in travel insurance to the US that basically any sort of pre-existing condition makes you ineligible.

Don't worry about the VWP, there is an exception for medical emergencies, have proof of it if you ever come back to the US and you've overstayed the I-94W date.

The child will need a passport, but I wouldn't worry too much about the US end of it, just get the birth certificate. You or the child can apply for a US passport at a later date, it's not important now.

I won't bother with what you need to do with the UK end of it (registration/passport) as the Consul General has covered it.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 12:11 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_

Don't worry about the VWP, there is an exception for medical emergencies, have proof of it if you ever come back to the US and you've overstayed the I-94W date.

The child will need a passport, but I wouldn't worry too much about the US end of it, just get the birth certificate. You or the child can apply for a US passport at a later date, it's not important now.
Since this is an important detail concerning the OP's future travel to the US, can you offer a citation to the law that covers her for this medical emergency? Because several looked and could not find it. Other than the 30 days discussed in her other thread.

It is US law that US citizens enter AND exit the US on their US passports. Why would you induce another problem into this family's life, no matter how small you think the risk is?
Old Jan 19th 2011, 12:49 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Reports on these boards suggest that those who apply for their very first social security card and number as a teenager or older are subject to more stringent checks, thus delaying issue. As they have to hang about here until the baby's old enough to fly, would seem sensible to get the social security aspect out the way.

Mo's already done the passport bit.