Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pool Cleaning business

Pool Cleaning business

Old Jan 13th 2011, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

paul_lynda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pool Cleaning business

I've seen a few tongue in cheek mentions of pool cleaning businesses in various threads, but can't see any specific reasons for it. I'm looking at another business in Sarasota, Florida for my E2 visa application, but as a fallback I can't see anything wrong with pool cleaning, so I'd like to know why its not liked in the forums.

It wouldn't employ anyone else but me, so that part wouldn't validate the visa longterm, but our attorney informed us that marginality and income is what the Consulate would be looking at if there were no US employees. Even the cheapest pool business on sale seems to be making around $6k a month (obviously due diligence needed there), which seems to me like it would be ok.

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 7:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pool Cleaning business

Originally Posted by paul_lynda
What am I missing?
Thanks for that! Most amusing post I've seen in quite some time!

Ian
Old Jan 13th 2011, 8:18 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

You have to be qualified to clean Pools.
Hot, glistening muscles, young, good looking, usually smoldering and oozing with sex appeal. Do you fit all these requirements.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 8:22 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen a few tongue in cheek mentions of pool cleaning businesses in various threads, but can't see any specific reasons for it. I'm looking at another business in Sarasota, Florida for my E2 visa application, but as a fallback I can't see anything wrong with pool cleaning, so I'd like to know why its not liked in the forums.

It wouldn't employ anyone else but me, so that part wouldn't validate the visa longterm, but our attorney informed us that marginality and income is what the Consulate would be looking at if there were no US employees. Even the cheapest pool business on sale seems to be making around $6k a month (obviously due diligence needed there), which seems to me like it would be ok.

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help.
Because every Tom Dick and Harry are already doing it!!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 8:26 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Even the cheapest pool business on sale seems to be making around $6k a month
I'm obviously in the wrong business.
Or, I have more quesitons.

Moved you to the Immigration forum, where immigration questions should be.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 8:47 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

It wouldn't employ anyone else but me, so that part wouldn't validate the visa longterm, but our attorney informed us that marginality and income is what the Consulate would be looking at if there were no US employees.
But this makes no sense, as one of the main objects of an E2 visa is to employ Americans! You can't obtain an E2 visa when the business you are purchasing does nothing but give you a job. And do you really think you can stand up to the slog of cleaning pools day in and day out in the heat and humidity of a FLorida summer?!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

So the Lawyer says that all other issues being acceptable a single operator pool cleaning business is OK for an E2?
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
So the Lawyer says that ...
Wow, another business I should be in. The Good News business.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 11:02 am
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

its not even that I am surprised that USCIS are still approving these applications
(ok gone OTT there on the icons!) ha ha
But surely USCIS must look at these cases before adjudicating and say, it just doesnt warrant another pool cleaning biz and in Florida
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
You have to be qualified to clean Pools.
Hot, glistening muscles, young, good looking, usually smoldering and oozing with sex appeal. Do you fit all these requirements.
Weellll, I'd be hot, because it's Florida, but as for your other, very stringent qualifications............. my wife would probably say yes, god love her, but I think she'd be in the minority of one!
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
So the Lawyer says that all other issues being acceptable a single operator pool cleaning business is OK for an E2?
No, I've never discussed a pool business with her. However, my application will be for an owner operated business with no employees. Apparently she can use indirect employees to justify the application, but the income levels need to be higher than if you were employing people.

I guess its pretty clear that everyone says no to pool cleaning then!
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:57 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Well, yes, mainly because it goes against what an E2 is supposed to do. (See Boiler's post) Why you're taking that as a slight of some kind against a pool cleaning business, I dunno.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 2:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is not really any of my business.

But I am quite intrigued as to what sort of business this could be and reasonably meet the E2 requirements.

(I can not imagine a pool cleaning business would)
Old Jan 14th 2011, 2:25 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

A pool cleaning business is one thing ...

A pool repair business is another .. a pool cleaner cannot install new pumps, heaters etc ..
Old Jan 14th 2011, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TracyTN
Well, yes, mainly because it goes against what an E2 is supposed to do. (See Boiler's post) Why you're taking that as a slight of some kind against a pool cleaning business, I dunno.
Unfortunately, this is why I don't post very often. Text can be taken out of context so easily. I'm not taking it as a slight - I don't own a pool business, and my plan doesn't involve it, I was just curious why so many people were against a seemingly innocuous way to gain an E2 Visa. If people think it genuinely won't pass the Embassy in London for either the staffing reason or becasue there's a glut in the market of these businesses, that's fine (and appears to be the case). But if they don't actually know, and just don't like this type of business being used, then that's something different.

Having just re-read what I have said, I can see this one being taken as an incitement to argue, but it isn't meant that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.