Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pregnant and confused!

Pregnant and confused!

Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:52 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pregnant and confused!

I know baby travel things come up all the time and I have been wading through the many, many threads.
Please bare with me and make sure I'm not being too much affected by baby brain!
-So, I am due at the end of March and we need to travel to the UK at the beginning of June for a wedding.
-I can apply for a US passport for my baby when we get the birth certificate. Baby uses this passport to travel to the UK and back.
-When we are in the UK, we can register the birth as an overseas birth while we are there, and apply for a UK passport for them as well if we want to.
Do I need to file any paperwork for them to travel to the UK? Is there a UK equivalent of the VWP or anything, or do I not need to worry?
-I should be able to book flights before the birth, calling them baby and then adding their name and date of birth later for a fee.

Now for the really stupid question! When we go to the UK, we would always go to the UK desk for immigration as we all have British passports. As baby won't have a British passport, is this still what we do? I have images of trying to stand with her in one queue while the husband and mini me stand in another queue!
Old Jan 16th 2012, 5:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant and confused!

Can travel visa free to the UK for 6 months, unless the baby picks up a criminal record in those couple of months

Might want to register the birth with the UK consulate first and then getting the registered birth cert in the UK as it'll be better proof of citizenship than the passport alone and then just get the passport in the UK as you planned.

Booking flights, no idea, possibly not as the ticket needs to be in the passport name for the flight manifest, but won't hurt to ask the airlines.

As for the UK, go to whatever line is shortest, it won't be a hassle, they certainly won't split you up if you went into the UK line
Old Jan 16th 2012, 6:48 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bob! I looked through so many threads I was starting to get myself in a tangle.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't have a clue about this Weeze, but just wanted to say many congratulations on the pregnancy and take it easy these last few months, I remember how tired and irritable I was....... oh wait......... that's just normal
Old Jan 16th 2012, 9:44 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We just got our little one a US passport and took him to UK for his first visit on that when he was 3 months old, then when we got back we did the Registration of birth and the UK passport when we had more time for it.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 9:46 pm

Thanks Brat! I am starting to get a bit tired now, but it's different when you already have one to look after isn't it. Last time I could go to bed if I was tired. This time I still have to sit on the floor and play candy land!
It's been a shock experiencing it in the US. It's like it's my first baby again, everything is different. The doctor looked at me like I was mad when I said I had gas and air last time round.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
Thanks Brat! I am starting to get a bit tired now, but it's different when you already have one to look after isn't it. Last time I could go to bed if I was tired. This time I still have to sit on the floor and play candy land!
It's been a shock experiencing it in the US. It's like it's my first baby again, everything is different. The doctor looked at me like I was mad when I said I had gas and air last time round.
Sorry, not trying to get off topic, but that is sooooo funny. I suppose it is a lot different over here and yes, it is different when you already have one. Just try to take it easy, see if the wee one will rest when you want to, although that's probably not going to be an option Keep us posted as to how it's going and can't wait to here your wee bambino has arrived

I'm getting broody now That is so not a good sign
Old Jan 16th 2012, 11:09 pm

Oh dear Brat, sorry about that! I'll look out for the pregnancy announcement

Oh and on the plus side, I am allowed an underwired bra in this country
Old Jan 17th 2012, 2:12 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

oooh congrats!