Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you find Americans have a condecending attitude towards the UK?

Do you find Americans have a condecending attitude towards the UK?

Old Jan 14th 2012, 9:51 pm
COF
Banned

COF is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Do you find Americans have a condecending attitude towards the UK?

I've never lived in the US, but from my visits there I have found that many Americans attitudes towards the UK is rather condesending, and somewhat simplistic.

I wouldn't say they dislike us, but they seem to view us as a very qaint country that needs US protection. They like to claim they they saved us in WW2, and I think many genuinely believe that to be 100% the case.

Generally speaking they don't hold the British military in very high regard, and see their forces as being tougher, better trained and superior. But then again, they see their military training and rigour as superior to every country, so that's not really suprising.

They also seem to think we're all obsessed with the Queen and Royal Family, and if you start talking to an American, quite often the first thing they'll mention when they find out you're British is the Royal Family. It's amazing how many of them are Royal fanatics.

They all seem to think British national identity has its foundations in worshipping the Queen and they seem suprised that I don't know as much about the Royal Family as they do.

They all seem to think we have bad teeth too. The idea that all British people have bad teeth seems to be ingrained in their society. I don't think it's just jokes and humour either, I think a lot of them genuinely think that is true.

Hollywood seems to constantly back-up these stereotypes too. In Hollywood films the Brit is always some top-hat wearing, posh talking butler-type, a criminal mastermind or some upper-class, effete pansy (ie Hugh Grant).

On the whole, I think Americans genuinely like the UK as a country. However, I don't think they regard us as their equals. I think in many respects they see the UK as a quirky curiosity and as a consequence their attitudes towards us are ignorant, condesending, highly misinformed and somewhat arrogant.

No doubt as many people on this forum have chosen to make America their home they will disagree wholeheartedly with my opinions. However, there you have it.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you find Americans have a condecending attitude towards the UK?

You're back then.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 10:04 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 14th 2012, 10:34 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by COF
I've never lived in the US, but from my visits there I have found that many Americans attitudes towards the UK is rather condesending, and somewhat simplistic.
You'll find plenty of Americans who also believe the world is only a few thousand years old and Jesus rode a dinosaur.

On the other hand, the stereotypical British view of America is quite uninformed, too.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 10:35 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by COF

I wouldn't say they dislike us, but they seem to view us as a very qaint country that needs US protection. They like to claim they they saved us in WW2, and I think many genuinely believe that to be 100% the case.

Generally speaking they don't hold the British military in very high regard, and see their forces as being tougher, better trained and superior. But then again, they see their military training and rigour as superior to every country, so that's not really suprising.

They also seem to think we're all obsessed with the Queen and Royal Family, and if you start talking to an American, quite often the first thing they'll mention when they find out you're British is the Royal Family. It's amazing how many of them are Royal fanatics.

They all seem to think British national identity has its foundations in worshipping the Queen and they seem suprised that I don't know as much about the Royal Family as they do.

They all seem to think we have bad teeth too. The idea that all British people have bad teeth seems to be ingrained in their society. I don't think it's just jokes and humour either, I think a lot of them genuinely think that is true.

Hollywood seems to constantly back-up these stereotypes too. In Hollywood films the Brit is always some top-hat wearing, posh talking butler-type, a criminal mastermind or some upper-class, effete pansy (ie Hugh Grant).

On the whole, I think Americans genuinely like the UK as a country. However, I don't think they regard us as their equals. I think in many respects they see the UK as a quirky curiosity and as a consequence their attitudes towards us are ignorant, condesending, highly misinformed and somewhat arrogant.

No doubt as many people on this forum have chosen to make America their home they will disagree wholeheartedly with my opinions. However, there you have it.
So....you don't live in USA but you've visited on occasion and on this you've made an assumption about the whlole nation and its people that they all generalise about the British in the way you think they do

......guess I won't be looking out for many of your posts then mate
Old Jan 14th 2012, 10:48 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

There is a sub set of the population that fits your description, but they are are a minority. There is also another sub set that has no idea or impression of the UK at all. Yet another that is very educated and knowledgeable about the UK.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 11:12 pm
Hiding in the bushes

rustic charm abounds has a spectacular aura aboutrustic charm abounds has a spectacular aura aboutrustic charm abounds has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You'll find plenty of Americans who also believe the world is only a few thousand years old and Jesus rode a dinosaur.

On the other hand, the stereotypical British view of America is quite uninformed, too.
The Guardian website recently ran a story about the Grand Canyon - illustrated by a picture of Monument Valley. Oops.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Lord_GG_Byron will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by COF

Maybe the highly uninformed, Britain was very close to losing the Battle of Britain, but luckily Hitler had a slight case of ADHD and turned his attention onto Russia. And, without US intervention the Allies would of never been able to invade France successfully, and Russia would of folded against Germany without US supply shipments.

The US see's their military as being superior because of the intensity of their drilling and traditions. That and the sheer size of their military. Didn't the UK just decide to go halfsies with France for their lone aircraft carrier?
See Above
Old Jan 15th 2012, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute

Well, thank goodness that British people are never condescending and always have nuanced views of the people of other cultures. Furthermore, all British people can spell words like condescending and know how to use an apostrophe to indicate the the possessive form.

Normally, I don't feed trolls. But it's cold out.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 12:33 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit

+1
Old Jan 15th 2012, 12:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Different view with different people...some are like that, but then you get the same dickheads in the UK too.

You should be happy the folks you're talking to know there's a UK and it's not just London
Old Jan 15th 2012, 12:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BellaE
Well, thank goodness that British people are never condescending and always have nuanced views of the people of other cultures. Furthermore, all British people can spell words like condescending and know how to use an apostrophe to indicate the the possessive form.
Sorry, but I snickered
Old Jan 15th 2012, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Sorry, but I snickered
dang! I was really trying to be clever!
Old Jan 15th 2012, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Well of course that is what we all think. I also am sure that everyone in the south US is a racist and is lucky to have more than one tooth.

Last edited by Michael; Jan 15th 2012 at 1:29 am.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

Lord_GG_Byron will become famous soon enough

I don't know if this hurts or helps his argument, but on a US television show "Worlds Dumbest..." They just showed a Brit trying to break the world record for taking kicks the the groin. He lasted 23 kicks until he quit. I'll just that thought sit for a bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.