Power cuts

Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Power cuts

Just ended another 24 hours with no leccy. I have had nore power cuts here than i ever had in the UK. I am going to buy a mini generator to run the fridge on for the next one so i don't end up chucking out all my food.

What have your experiences been, with power cuts, not throwing food out?
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Power cuts

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
Just ended another 24 hours with no leccy. I have had nore power cuts here than i ever had in the UK. I am going to buy a mini generator to run the fridge on for the next one so i don't end up chucking out all my food.

Sure we have them here but to be honest we had more power cuts in the UK. Our road was the only one in the village with overhead cables. One weekend just before Christmas we were without power for 3 days.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:12 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill

Hiya from the Piedmont. I lost power in my home for nearly 6 hours yesterday. Fortunately, I have a dual fuel range (hobs are gas, oven is gas) so I was able to rustle up dinner.

On the other hand, a coworker who lives elsewhere in my city is still without electricity for more than 24 hours. She's been told by Duke Energy that her electricity will be restored by 5.00pm Thursday!

PS: if you live in the west of the state, you might want to invest in a powerful enough generator to provide heat. I was without power for 7.5 days in the winter of 2002. If you loose power in the winter in the west of the state, it'll be far more grim than where I live...

NC Penguin
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sure we have them here but to be honest we had more power cuts in the UK. Our road was the only one in the village with overhead cables. One weekend just before Christmas we were without power for 3 days.
Really? I never had a power cut in my whole life in UK, even living in the country.

I've had 10 or 12 here, in the city mostly but also in the country. Damn power lines above ground so every time the wind blows or an idiot driver crashes into a pole, they fall down.

Worst one for me - we lost power for 13 days once after a hurricane. We did get power for a few hours on day 5 but then it was out again. Horrific humidity those weeks too, we all stank to high heaven and lost all our food, obviously. We were going to DH's work to have showers, freezing ones as that, whenever we could & had to go out of the area to eat in fast food restaurants all the time. It was horrible.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by danfan
Really? I never had a power cut in my whole life in UK, even living in the country.

I've had 10 or 12 here, in the city mostly but also in the country. Damn power lines above ground so every time the wind blows or an idiot driver crashes into a pole, they fall down.

same here, never had a power cut in the uk but here at least once a week, bless it's all their overhead cables
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan

Worst one for me - we lost power for 13 days once after a hurricane. We did get power for a few hours on day 5 but then it was out again. Horrific humidity those weeks too, we all stank to high heaven and lost all our food, obviously. We were going to DH's work to have showers, freezing ones as that, whenever we could & had to go out of the area to eat in fast food restaurants all the time. It was horrible.
Like I said...where we lived in the UK we had overhead power cables. Every time we had a storm we would always boil the kettle for a cuppa before the power went off.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Like I said...where we lived in the UK we had overhead power cables. Every time we had a storm we would always boil the kettle for a cuppa before the power went off.

nope never had any probs with the leccy in the uk, guess we put enough money in our meter
Old Apr 18th 2007, 12:15 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I feel for all of y'all. Was without for 24 or so hours around the time Charley came around and it was not fun.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 12:44 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
I feel for all of y'all. Was without for 24 or so hours around the time Charley came around and it was not fun.
The first thing we bought after our house was a standby generator that runs off LPG. Power was off the other day if fired up we managed to plod on.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 12:46 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Thydney
The first thing we bought after our house was a standby generator that runs off LPG. Power was off the other day if fired up we managed to plod on.
I keep forgetting to buy one....hopefully we won't experience any this year, with the cold we've been having.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 1:02 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
I keep forgetting to buy one....hopefully we won't experience any this year, with the cold we've been having.
Worth every penny our power goes all the time
Old Apr 18th 2007, 1:05 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

My apartment in DC hasn't had a power cut for about 15 years, but all the lines are buried. My house out in the country, however, has several a year. We have overhead lines and trees trees trees.

It sucks all the worse because we are on an electric well for our water, so a loss of power also means no h20.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 3:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's a shower of shite this ain't it...power companies really need to pull their fingers out.

But amusingly enough, most of the power outages around here and up in Maine occur in the summer, not because of crap weather, but because a sub station blows up when everyone switches the AC on etc.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 3:54 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I worked damned hard to cut him off from the internet. Which one of you went and restored his power?
Old Apr 18th 2007, 12:00 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Critters. I forgot to mention critters. The second leading cause of outages here are opossums, racoons and birds flying into substations and taking out part of the grid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.