British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Potential US Intra Company Transfer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/potential-us-intra-company-transfer-839528/)

Chapmandan Jul 28th 2014 8:38 am

Re: Potential US Intra Company Transfer

Hiya,
I'm just going through this currently so i haven't made the move yet but i can tell you what sort of deal my company has made me for relo.
It's a new role so it's not like for like but it's still a 45% rise in real terms in base salary for starters.
They will pay all relocation costs including shipping of our life by boat plus 700lbs by air freight (faster). They have partnered with a local real estate agent that handles relocation and they will help with house hunting including a house hunting visit and an orientation visit. The house hunting trip travel is also being paid for with a 5 day trip including car hire. Once we land we have a month in temporary accommodation and 30 days rental car hire. All visa costs are being covered. If we need storage then we get a month thrown in too on whichever side of the pond we need it. They're also stumping up support for the first years taxes as the relo stuff get complicated on what's taxable and what's not. On top of that there's a $5k payment for incidentals and if we pay a penalty to move out they'll cover that.
That's the good stuff... The not so good stuff is that i lose my company car (but i get a parachute payment), I lose my bonus scheme for about a year and i lose 5 days holiday. I'll still have 20 days though plus 3 personal days and BH so it's not that bad.
Hope that helps?
Dan

Bob Jul 28th 2014 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Chapmandan (Post 11349969)
Hiya,
I'm just going through this currently so i haven't made the move yet but i can tell you what sort of deal my company has made me for relo.
It's a new role so it's not like for like but it's still a 45% rise in real terms in base salary for starters.
They will pay all relocation costs including shipping of our life by boat plus 700lbs by air freight (faster). They have partnered with a local real estate agent that handles relocation and they will help with house hunting including a house hunting visit and an orientation visit. The house hunting trip travel is also being paid for with a 5 day trip including car hire. Once we land we have a month in temporary accommodation and 30 days rental car hire. All visa costs are being covered. If we need storage then we get a month thrown in too on whichever side of the pond we need it. They're also stumping up support for the first years taxes as the relo stuff get complicated on what's taxable and what's not. On top of that there's a $5k payment for incidentals and if we pay a penalty to move out they'll cover that.
That's the good stuff... The not so good stuff is that i lose my company car (but i get a parachute payment), I lose my bonus scheme for about a year and i lose 5 days holiday. I'll still have 20 days though plus 3 personal days and BH so it's not that bad.
Hope that helps?
Dan

Did you get final year tax help, if you decide not to stay?

Are they grossing up the relocation costs?

CoL is also massively different from MA to where the OP will be going. Salary.com and Glassdoor will help in that regards as well as city-data.com

Chapmandan Jul 28th 2014 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11350331)
Did you get final year tax help, if you decide not to stay?

Are they grossing up the relocation costs?

The plan is to enter on an L1B with dual intent for Green card application 6 months or so later. So not staying hasn't really factored in. If i walk within 2 years then I have to pay a proportion back depending how far i get.

In terms of tax consequences...

Originally Posted by The Policy
Most reimbursements made to you or that are made on your behalf that are directly related to relocation are considered taxable income. The Internal Revenue Service has taken the position that all reimbursements made by the Company are considered “compensation” except for shipment of household goods, storage-in-transit for up to thirty (30) days, and final travel to the new location (excluding meals) provided the IRS “tests” have been met.
The Company will assist with the estimated federal, state, local and FICA tax liability (gross up) that arises from taxable Company reimbursed expenses associated with your relocation.
The amount of tax gross up will be remitted by the Company directly to the appropriate revenue agency and reported as withheld taxes on your W-2 Wage and Tax Statement.
The tax assistance the Company pays on your behalf is intended to assist you with a majority of the increased tax liability that results from you receiving taxable relocation benefits. Because every individual has many factors that contribute to their overall tax liability, it is possible the assistance will not cover your entire liability.
At year-end, a final “true-up” calculation will be made comparing the supplemental Federal tax rate with your anticipated individual Federal tax rate. When determining your anticipated individual tax rate, the Company will consider your annual Waters salary and applicable bonus as well as your filing status and the number of exemptions you claim. After your anticipated Federal rate has been determined, an adjustment will be made to align the amounts that have been paid into the tax authorities during the year with your anticipated Federal tax rate.
During the month of January, you will receive a year-end relocation tax report that summarizes your reimbursed relocation activity and corresponding gross-up for the previous tax year. This document will provide the information necessary to complete IRS Form 3903. Our relocation provider is also available to answer your questions regarding the reporting of relocation expenses.

Bob Jul 28th 2014 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Chapmandan (Post 11350345)
The plan is to enter on an L1B with dual intent for Green card application 6 months or so later. So not staying hasn't really factored in. If i walk within 2 years then I have to pay a proportion back depending how far i get.

They axe you for whatever reason, or are unsuccessful in getting you greencards (it has happened plenty on BE), then heading home in a rush and leaving you to figure out duel tax issues can/is a nightmare.

Whether you plan to need it or not, you should see if you can get it. It's not going to cost them anything if they're successful on getting greencards or you quit, so nothing to lose.

Chapmandan Jul 29th 2014 8:31 am

We have a nearly perfect track record with such things but you do make a good point Bob.

Will look in to it for sure - thanks for the tip!