Reload this Page >

Potential US Intra Company Transfer

Potential US Intra Company Transfer

Old Jul 26th 2014, 8:23 am
Just Joined

jtj1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Potential US Intra Company Transfer

Hi All,

So we are well on our way with a potential move from the UK to the US, my wife is currently in the process of being interviewed by the US offices of a well known supermarket based in the UK.

For information, we are both 27, and have just recently married after several years.

We are yet to discuss anything in relation to visas with the interviewees, but have held several discussions with senior management outside the process and other colleagues that have completed the process. (she has built up quite a knowledge sharing network)

So we are under the impression if she is successful she will be able to enter the US on a L1A visa, which will also entitle me to work whilst in the US, if I can find employment, I am a qualified business analyst with plenty of experience.

We would be based in bentonville, Arkansas.

After doing plenty of research online, I thought I would reach out to all you helpful guys for some pointers in the right direction.

So here are my questions:

We currently own a property in the UK and are not looking to sell this but hopefully plan to move on a BTL mortgage and will let the property out, if circumstances allow this, does anyone have any advice on the tax implications of this, benefits / drawbacks, etc?

As we are recently married, and plan to start a family in the near future, what are the implications of this and health care in the US?

How expensive is tornado insurance in the US?

What is the best process for transferring money from the UK and US in the future?

Does anyone have any experience of the Arkansas area?

What are the implications on our UK based pensions?

What is the best thing to do in relation to not paying UK NI contributions and the impact on the state pension, I understand the UK does not freeze the state pension when moving to the US, so is it worth making contributions?

If anyone has negotiated a relocation package with an employer any pointers would be beneficial

Another concern of ours, is hopefully I will be able to find work :-)

As some of you have been through this process any questions I am missing or information you may think is beneficial, please feel to give me pointers so I can ensure all bases have been covered.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 9:21 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Potential US Intra Company Transfer

I don't have time right now to answer many of your questions in detail, but for negotiating an expat relocation here are some tips taken from the 'Wiki' at the top of this board...plenty more things in the Wiki for you to peruse too:

Company Relocation Packages US : British Expat Wiki
Old Jul 26th 2014, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Potential US Intra Company Transfer

Who could it be?
Old Jul 26th 2014, 1:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Who could it be?
I used to think you lived on top of a mountain, but apparently you live under a rock.

On a more serious note, if you keep the house more than 3 years and then sell it you could be liable for CGT. If you intend to return to the UK one day it could make sense to keep it, but you might have to return to live in it to avoid the CGT. In short, renting it out can be messy from a tax perspective.

The cost of health insurance really depends on the scheme(s) offered by your employer. If you're young and healthy, or even if you're not so young, a "high deductible" plan linked to a "health savings account" can be advantageous giving you low premiums, and tax deductible contributions to a rainy day savings fund for medical expenses.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 26th 2014 at 1:26 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 1:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I used to think you lived on top of a mountain, but apparently you live under a rock.
OP was so careful not to give us any clues.

Maternity leave might be another thing to check.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 1:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Maternity leave might be another thing to check.
"PAID ..... " and I what happens to your job?

It's often 12 months, but mostly unpaid, and with no obligation to give you the same job back. Anything more than six weeks paid is unusual.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 2:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jtj1
So we are well on our way with a potential move from the UK to the US, my wife is currently in the process of being interviewed by the US offices of a well known supermarket based in the UK.
Is this intended to be a permanent move, or a temporary secondment?
The answer will influence many of the issues you mention below.

So we are under the impression if she is successful she will be able to enter the US on a L1A visa, which will also entitle me to work whilst in the US, if I can find employment, I am a qualified business analyst with plenty of experience.
You should be prepared to have your qualifications evaluated against U.S. benchmarks. There are a number of reputable evaluation services: NACES Home

We currently own a property in the UK and are not looking to sell this but hopefully plan to move on a BTL mortgage and will let the property out, if circumstances allow this, does anyone have any advice on the tax implications of this, benefits / drawbacks, etc?
Some discussion here:
House in UK-Keep or Sell : British Expat Wiki

As we are recently married, and plan to start a family in the near future, what are the implications of this and health care in the US?
In general, maternity leave is less in the United States. Your relocation/expatriation agreement should make clear which set of provisions apply.

One thing you need to check is, unless you have green cards, whether your wife's visa allows her to take a significant amount of time off work.

Normally included in standard home policies, as far as I am aware. Despite what you see in the media, the risk of tornado damage is quite low compared to all the other possible risks of damage to property. You may want to ask more specific questions about flood exposure and earthquake coverage.

Depends on what kind of pensions, etc. If you have employer pensions, and are on a temporary secondment, often they will continue to contribute to the U.K. plan. If you move permanently, usually you stop contributing to the U.K. plans and start afresh in the United States.

Your relocation agreement should explain all of this.

What is the best thing to do in relation to not paying UK NI contributions and the impact on the state pension, I understand the UK does not freeze the state pension when moving to the US, so is it worth making contributions?
The U.S. and United Kingdom have a Social Security Agreement. It would be expected that if you are transferred temporarily, up to 5 years, you will continue to pay U.K. National Insurance and get an exemption certificate from U.S. Social Security. That's an option available, of course, will depend on your employer policy whether or not it's used. If you do pay Social Security, you should normally be able to use the credits against your U.K. National Insurance record.

If anyone has negotiated a relocation package with an employer any pointers would be beneficial
Some discussion at:
Company Relocation Packages US : British Expat Wiki
Old Jul 26th 2014, 4:15 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Is she is already an employee of the well-known supermarket? I find your post a little ambiguous in that respect.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

For information, we are both 27, and have just recently married after several years.

We are yet to discuss anything in relation to visas with the interviewees, but have held several discussions with senior management outside the process and other colleagues that have completed the process. (she has built up quite a knowledge sharing network)

We would be based in bentonville, Arkansas.

After doing plenty of research online, I thought I would reach out to all you helpful guys for some pointers in the right direction.

So here are my questions:

What is the best process for transferring money from the UK and US in the future?

Does anyone have any experience of the Arkansas area?

Another concern of ours, is hopefully I will be able to find work :-)

As some of you have been through this process any questions I am missing or information you may think is beneficial, please feel to give me pointers so I can ensure all bases have been covered.
Tornado insurance is a must have. First question they ask you at immigration, so be careful what you so are you could end up inside for 90 days.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Is it an upper management position at HQ?

So the actual interviewers don't know you'll require a visa? Why hasn't this crucial step been brought up?
How can you be well on your way then?

Has she even had a job offer?
Old Jul 27th 2014, 1:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's often 12 months, but mostly unpaid, and with no obligation to give you the same job back. Anything more than six weeks paid is unusual.
It's often zero, with the 3 weeks coming from short term disability if you have it available.

This company isn't exactly known for being welfare concious either....

Definitely needs to get sorted before moving over, but then the link up top to the relocation packages is a good start.

Transferring money is easy, xe.com or similar.

NIC's, voluntary contributions are sensible, they're cheap as chips.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Bob
.... This company isn't exactly known for being welfare conscious either.....
It's different for HO mgnt.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Is it an upper management position at HQ?

So the actual interviewers don't know you'll require a visa? ....
Post #1 is confusing and contains apparent contradictions, but use of the word "colleagues" makes it look, to me, like the OP's wife is already an employee of the UK operation and is interviewing internally for a transfer, with the OP being aware than an L-1 is the likely visa type.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 1:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's different for HO mgnt.
Still depends on seniority....not all management are created equal...especially female, or they wouldn't be getting into so much trouble about it... :/
Old Jul 28th 2014, 7:43 am
Just Joined

jtj1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all the sensible replies from those trying to help, in response to a few questions raised:

1. I have looked through the wikis in relation to relocation packages, but was hoping for additional advice in relation to individuals that may have gone through the process

2. Yes, she currently works for the UK subsidiary of the US company

3. I think I will contact a tax accountant whilst in the UK to discuss the possible options for me in relation to our current home and pensions options.

4. This is foreseen as a permanent move at present, but who knows the future, ideally we would like to keep our current house as a potential investment opportunity

5. There are many reasons as to why the details of the relocation package has not yet been discussed, the first being that she hasn't actually been offered the role as of yet, until the role is offered the relocation package can not be negotiated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.