Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Potential move to Florida/Orlando etc

Potential move to Florida/Orlando etc

Old Mar 23rd 2016, 12:05 am
Just Joined

Marvitodude is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potential move to Florida/Orlando etc

Yes, I bet this question has come up about a million times, However I enter with an open mind. I am just in love with the place, that I would love to move there, I am looking at all the possibilities and would just like some help knowing where to start, me and a few friends debated the idea of buying a place and renting it out, but a few Floridians warned me not to do that.

I would love to come over and work there, ideally this is what I personally would like to do, but Im guessing its not as simple as, turn up, get a job, stay for a certain amount of time, so I ask you what is possible in that sense?

I have a degree, that was in commercial Music, I have an fa coaching badge Level 1 (soccer coaching) and my most recent qualification, A Celta (tefl,ESL etc) I will have the Celta from May, I see that there are a few vacancies for those teaching jobs, but on the ad they want locals, I am guessing it is possible to go there and do that?

Sorry if the message appears a little jumbled, just been searching page after page for help and this forum seems to be the most popular.

Thank you
Marvin
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 12:28 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential move to Florida/Orlando etc

The first thing you need to do is to see if you qualify for a visa. Start here - http://britishexpats.com/forum/us-im...ork-us-585898/
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 2:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't Beckham starting a football team in Florida? His missus sort of is into music.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 2:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Like Wintersong said, read the wiki she linked to, and check in the US section of the wikis and read the two Pulaski wikis - they explain the ways to get a visa to live and work in the US, but I will warn you now, that they are highly restrictive, not because a few people at BE decided we want to pï$$ people off by telling them they aren't qualified to live and work in the US, but because that is the truth about the visa regulations and restrictions for the US.

Assuming you don't have family in the US, nor a couple of hundred thousand dollars to invest, there are only a few work visa options, and those depend on you finding an employer willing to stump up $5,000 in visa and legal fees to get you a visa instead of hiring someone locally in the US who has no visa or legal fees required to hire them.

Are you that good an employee that you're worth the extra $5,000 over a local hire? .... And how would you feel in the UK if a job that you wanted was taken by an American, who had cost an extra £3,000 in fees that the employer wouldn't have had to pay if they'd hired you?
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Like Wintersong said, read the wiki she linked to, and check in the US section of the wikis and read the two Pulaski wikis - they explain the ways to get a visa to live and work in the US, but I will warn you now, that they are highly restrictive, not because a few people at BE decided we want to pï$$ people off by telling them they aren't qualified to live and work in the US, but because that is the truth about the visa regulations and restrictions for the US.

Assuming you don't have family in the US, nor a couple of hundred thousand dollars to invest, there are only a few work visa options, and those depend on you finding an employer willing to stump up $5,000 in visa and legal fees to get you a visa instead of hiring someone locally in the US who has no visa or legal fees required to hire them.

Are you that good an employee that you're worth the extra $5,000 over a local hire? .... And how would you feel in the UK if a job that you wanted was taken by an American, who had cost an extra £3,000 in fees that the employer wouldn't have had to pay if they'd hired you?

If I was beaten out by an American for a job? so what, I am pro immigration and feel you should be able to live where you want, So if they were better for the job than me then ok, I would be annoyed the job didn't go to me, not that it went to an American, Id have been equally annoyed if it was taken by a fellow brit.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

You may feel that you should be able to live wherever you want, but that's not how it works. As others have said, your starting point should be on what basis you would qualify for a visa.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 3:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marvitodude
If I was beaten out by an American for a job? so what, I am pro immigration and feel you should be able to live where you want, So if they were better for the job than me then ok, I would be annoyed the job didn't go to me, not that it went to an American, Id have been equally annoyed if it was taken by a fellow brit.
I was only trying to give some context to the rules - they're designed to protect the interests of local people, especially the lower paid and low to moderate skill levels.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 3:42 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I bet this question has come up about a million times, However I enter with an open mind. I am just in love with the place, that I would love to move there, I am looking at all the possibilities and would just like some help knowing where to start, me and a few friends debated the idea of buying a place and renting it out, but a few Floridians warned me not to do that.

I would love to come over and work there, ideally this is what I personally would like to do, but Im guessing its not as simple as, turn up, get a job, stay for a certain amount of time, so I ask you what is possible in that sense?

I have a degree, that was in commercial Music, I have an fa coaching badge Level 1 (soccer coaching) and my most recent qualification, A Celta (tefl,ESL etc) I will have the Celta from May, I see that there are a few vacancies for those teaching jobs, but on the ad they want locals, I am guessing it is possible to go there and do that?

Sorry if the message appears a little jumbled, just been searching page after page for help and this forum seems to be the most popular.

Thank you
Marvin
Unfortunately not, The US is very strict as to who it lets in, well unless you have a shed load of money, but for all intents and purposes from your opening post it seems that your chances are the same as a snowball in a furnace.
You would do well to read some of the other posts from people like yourself, and see what they have been told (all good advice) and what they were hoping for, just scroll down the threads in the Immigration and visas section.

Last edited by mikelincs; Mar 23rd 2016 at 4:19 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Challenger Sports – International Youth Soccer might be your best chance for spending some time living in the US. It seems like quite a few Brits come to the US through this program. My kids have all done their soccer camps and enjoyed them.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

A lot of great posts here, is there a teacher based visa? for example I see there are a few types of them around, I read through the link given, which gives a lot of good advice. I saw there were teacher based Visa's but they seemed geared to school based teaching, whereas I am a language teacher, I have a guaranteed visa for Mexico if I decide to take it up with a company for this type of job, I wonder if in the US it is possible for a visa based upon that?

Also it says about the 5k or so that they must pay to sponsor you, is it possible for you yourself to spend said money to do it? it has probably been asked before but it seems a small price to pay if it gets the dream in motion?
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kins
Challenger Sports – International Youth Soccer might be your best chance for spending some time living in the US. It seems like quite a few Brits come to the US through this program. My kids have all done their soccer camps and enjoyed them.
This looks fantastic, Appreciate this
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 6:55 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I saw there were teacher based Visa's but they seemed geared to school based teaching, whereas I am a language teacher,

Ouch!
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 6:57 pm

A lot of great posts here, is there a teacher based visa? .....
No, not for state run (public) schools. If school districts started coughing up $5,000 for visas for teachers, there would be an uproar from the electorate.

Some private schools will sponsor teachers with extensive experience and an exemplary teaching record.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 7:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Some private schools will sponsor teachers with extensive experience and an exemplary teaching record.
They tend to pay a bit shit though, well the local ones at least.

Problem with teaching, is the state requirements to get registered. Also, loads of English language teachers here.

Also, no, person can't offer to pay for the visa, that's down on the sponsor as a requirement. You could offer to pay the $1K premium processing fee though, but all rather moot.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
They tend to pay a bit shit though, well the local ones at least.

Problem with teaching, is the state requirements to get registered. Also, loads of English language teachers here.

Also, no, person can't offer to pay for the visa, that's down on the sponsor as a requirement. You could offer to pay the $1K premium processing fee though, but all rather moot.
Yeah I guess so, I am assuming anyone that comes there just to work a normal job will only be allowed 6 months stay? Or does it often happen? Would love to talk to some people who have done it without being incredibly wealthy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.