Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Potential move to East Coast US

Potential move to East Coast US

Old Jul 1st 2013, 5:58 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential move to East Coast US

No one ever mentions Anderson SC on here, happens to be the wife's hometown
Old Jul 1st 2013, 1:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

As you are unmarried, you will not be able to get any type of visa based on your common law relationship. The best you can hope for is a B-2 visa which will allow you to stay in the US for 6 or more months at a time. Unfortunately, you will not be covered under his healthcare insurance as a significant other and thus you will either have to secure private healthcare if that is even possible as just a visitor to the US.

You will not be eligible for a social security card/number and thus you will not have the ability to work and can only stay here on a tourist status.

As for you UK benefits, depends on what and how the UK authorities wish to see you ... resident or non-resident of the UK. Since you won't have a visat it can go either way.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 4:45 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
And with all respect, while $60,000 is good for a single person in many parts of the country for two people it's quite low, especially for major cities or popular areas.
Again it all depends on the area as it can be related to housing costs and local taxes.
I wouldn't have moved to MA on $60k. I wouldn't have been able to survive on my own (rent, car lease, medical deductions, etc etc) with that salary, let alone support two people. You should be looking at a minimum income of $100k for two people imo.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I guess that's what I was hinting at....a transatlantic relocation for a $60k salary is impractical. It's quite surprising that a company willing to process the visa is offering such a small amount.

(Apologies to any couples living quite happily on that amount.)
Old Jul 1st 2013, 9:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I wouldn't have moved to MA on $60k. I wouldn't have been able to survive on my own (rent, car lease, medical deductions, etc etc) with that salary, let alone support two people. You should be looking at a minimum income of $100k for two people imo.
Originally Posted by hotscot
I guess that's what I was hinting at....a transatlantic relocation for a $60k salary is impractical. It's quite surprising that a company willing to process the visa is offering such a small amount.

(Apologies to any couples living quite happily on that amount.)
I agree too. While I have no doubt $60k is quite survivable for some, in some locations, given the costs the OP faces of setting up a new home, the loss of UK benefits, free health care, and all state provided and informal social support (friends and family), IMO $60k is barely adequate for two people, even in the cheapest east coast locations, and is hopelessly inadequate for anywhere between Richmond, VA and Boston, MA.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 1st 2013 at 9:23 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold

Before we start debating the subjective merits of 60K, I think the OP needs to consider two points:

1. If you want to the move to the U.S. with your partner, the easiest way is to get married
2. Married or not, your public benefits in the U.S. will be ~zero, so make sure the £40K salary also comes with company health insurance. You can also ask the company to provide a relocation package and estimate costs, if they've done this before ask to speak to other employees about living costs.

Also, as a side note, you should just google the company that's offering the position and see where their offices/operations on the east coast are, at least then you'll have some idea of where you'll be living.

If you can't do any of that, I'd recommend sticking to the safe bet in the UK rather than a position which may or may not be above board/sustainable.

Last edited by agentred; Jul 2nd 2013 at 7:40 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

You can live in Maine pretty easily on $60k for a couple as long as you get a good health insurance deal.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 9:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
You can live in Maine pretty easily on $60k for a couple as long as you get a good health insurance deal.
I'm sure you can, which is why I flagged the "no go zone" as Richmond, VA to Boston, MA.