Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

POSTAL CODE ISSUES FOR PENSION APPLICATION OFFICE IN WOLVERHAMPTON, UK

POSTAL CODE ISSUES FOR PENSION APPLICATION OFFICE IN WOLVERHAMPTON, UK

Old Feb 22nd 2015, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Sailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond repute
Angry POSTAL CODE ISSUES FOR PENSION APPLICATION OFFICE IN WOLVERHAMPTON, UK

If you are in the process of applying for a State pension using form IPC BR1 GOV - the postal code on the form (WV98 1LW) is not recognized by FedEx, USPS or UPS. I found that out when I tried to send my application last week. The USPS were willing to send it without a postal code, which I declined, as the application contained original birth marriage and divorce papers. I called the # on the IPC BR1 GOV form - 44 191 218 7777, and was given an alternative WV1 1AA. This was recognized by FedEx. Using the tracking system I was happy to see it only took one day to arrive in the UK - only to be returned to the holding depot because the address was incorrect. I called the UK # to let them know what had happened, and how were they going to take care of it. The problem was handed to customer care on Friday 20 Feb. I checked again today and the package is now in Gateshead - I can only hope and assume that it has been redirected to the Newcastle office - but can't check on that until tomorrow, to see if has been delivered. I have received no call from the UK customer service.

I can't comment on how I feel as I might lose it completely.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 3:27 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POSTAL CODE ISSUES FOR PENSION APPLICATION OFFICE IN WOLVERHAMPTON, UK

WV98 1LW is a post box for the International Pension Centre, not a physical address, hence your difficulties trying to send something there by courier. WV1 1AA refers to the North West Midlands Mail Centre, presumably where the post box is, but not where the International Pension Centre is located, which is Tyneview Park in Newcastle. If your application is in Gateshead then hopefully it is on its way there.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Sailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond reputeSailortobe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POSTAL CODE ISSUES FOR PENSION APPLICATION OFFICE IN WOLVERHAMPTON, UK

Ergo - my frustration that a government department does not have the foresight to see what complications that fact might create. They are, after all, requesting original documents - and I would never send such documents without a tracking number. Totally shortsighted and inept is my opinion.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 4:58 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Do the SS offices in the US still handle UK pension claims. They did when I claimed mine.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Peter124 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
WV98 1LW is a post box for the International Pension Centre, not a physical address, hence your difficulties trying to send something there by courier.
Presumably this post code would work if you were sending something by regular mail?
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 5:28 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter124
Presumably this post code would work if you were sending something by regular mail?
Exactly. Anything requiring a signature is unlikely to be accepted.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

I have only dealt with the UK and followed their instructions.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

I'm sure it would, and if you are a trusting soul and happy to send original documents via regular mail - not a problem. I'd rather pay the $65 and be able to track it and have proof of delivery. This is, after all, an international service for overseas claimants. Just putting this out there so others don't get sideswiped the way I've been.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 1:30 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

fedex here wont Accept post box addresses - so maybe thats the issue too
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 1:43 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
That is no longer true, so long as you put the "street address" of the USPS building where the PO Box is located. I believe that USPS realised that their business was slipping away to the UPS Store that does (has always) accepted courier deliveries to their "PO Box" addresses. So now, as a change in policy, USPS accepts courier deliveries to USPS PO Boxes.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 1:52 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If you send something by "regular mail" it will only be discovered to be "undeliverable" when it gets to the sorting office that sends it out for delivery. In other words the USPS would send it to the UK regardless of whether the postal code is accurate, or even if the letter/ parcel has a postal code on it. The sorting office in the UK that first receives it would send it to Wolverhampton, if that is the city on the address, again regardless of whether there is a post code on it. The sorting office in Wolverhampton makes the final determination on where to deliver the item, or to return it as undeliverable.

A courier on the other hand needs to know from the outset, accepting the letter/ parcel, that there is a physical address for their van to drive up to and that their employee can deliver the item to.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

I know they won't deliver to a PO Box - but WV98 1LW gives no indication that this is in fact a PO Box - so anyone sending to this address wouldn't know.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 3:51 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sailortobe
I know they won't deliver to a PO Box - but WV98 1LW gives no indication that this is in fact a PO Box - so anyone sending to this address wouldn't know.
yes but they wont be able to deliver it at the other end - which is what your experiencing isnt it?
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you send something by "regular mail" it will only be discovered to be "undeliverable" when it gets to the sorting office that sends it out for delivery. In other words the USPS would send it to the UK regardless of whether the postal code is accurate, or even if the letter/ parcel has a postal code on it. The sorting office in the UK that first receives it would send it to Wolverhampton, if that is the city on the address, again regardless of whether there is a post code on it. The sorting office in Wolverhampton makes the final determination on where to deliver the item, or to return it as undeliverable.

A courier on the other hand needs to know from the outset, accepting the letter/ parcel, that there is a physical address for their van to drive up to and that their employee can deliver the item to.
To address your last point - there is no indication in the address given by the Pensions and Works department that this is in fact a PO Box. Not good admin. When I spoke to a representative there, he was aware that there had been issues and thought it had been resolved. Apparently not. Thanks for the input though.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

yes but they wont be able to deliver it at the other end - which is what your experiencing isnt it?
Exactly my point. Why give the general public a PO Box address - but don't tell them it's a PO Box. WV98 1LW is not an indicator that this is a PO Box. However, it's all over - I just received a call from FedEx. My package was redirected to Newcastle and has been delivered. Now I have to find out if it's been delivered to Pensions and Works and not
Dunkin Donuts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.