Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Possible move to Houston, Texas - please help!

Possible move to Houston, Texas - please help!

Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:01 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Houston, Texas - please help!

Originally Posted by campermad
Just out of interest what made you choose Katy over Sugarland? It is just that Sugarland has been recommended to me by some friends that have lived there. All the threads I find on here appear to end in a fight between people living in each area and processing that theirs is best. It obviously has to be a nice environment for my our boys to grow up in first and foremost.
Pop over to the Meetup forum and theres a thread going there about Katy and Sugarland. Personally, I dont see a lot of difference between them, but we ended up in Katy because we had family here. If we hadn't, it would have been decided on a coin-toss...
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:01 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Wife used to commute 22 miles to Galleria - 30 mins when she could choose the time.
Now working 12 miels away in the Energy Corridor, and as she's not on flexible hours, its taking her almost 40 minutes some days! She's talking about going in an hour early to dodge the traffic and spend the time in the gym rather than in the car.
Won't help on the way home though it is a good solution.
I'm lucky in that I can pick my hours. I'm also circa 22 miles to my office (galleria) and can do it in as little as 25 mins like this morning (though that was at 4.15am, which even by my standards is a little early - needs must though!). If I leave at 7.45, it can easily take me over an hour. The same is true the for the return leg. Though it's nearly always at least 30 - 35 mins even if I get away early. Add a wreck into the equation and you start talking about 1.5 hours...
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:02 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Pop over to the Meetup forum and theres a thread going there about Katy and Sugarland. Personally, I dont see a lot of difference between them, but we ended up in Katy because we had family here. If we hadn't, it would have been decided on a coin-toss...
Should I get out my copper lakes flag?
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

campermad is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Bink, have you a link or address to that Forum?
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

campermad is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Bink, have you a link or address to that Forum?
Apologies... Bink thanks for the humour, Yorkie have you the link
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:25 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies... Bink thanks for the humour, Yorkie have you the link
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...3#post10168783
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Bink
Should I get out my copper lakes flag?
You sure you want to bring those boxing gloves to the fight....this is Texas you know.....
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:34 pm
Rootbeeraholic

You sure you want to bring those boxing gloves to the fight....this is Texas you know.....
Well I couldn't find a smiley with someone pulling out a gun and shooting it so the boxing gloves will have to do.
Actually, I'm not a gun person (I know, I'm in the wrong place!). I refuse to have one in the house, much against my wifes wishes.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:46 pm

Same here - but I'm working on the basis that as long as you don't tell anyone you don't have guns, they assume you do have them so they're nice to you!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Parisangel will become famous soon enough

Ok guys you are freaking me out, I hate guns...move's off!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:36 pm
Rootbeeraholic

There are no guns in Houston...
Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Parisangel will become famous soon enough

Jeez, better change my name to Annie Oakley....
Old Jul 12th 2012, 6:30 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
There are no guns in Houston...
Or any animals that want to kill you
Old Jul 12th 2012, 6:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Parisangel
Hi Bink, thanks for the heads up - we had gathered the credit issues would be a consideration at first. We would be keen to build a credit history up quickly though so we can think about buying a house in a year or so if all goes well. Any hints on that much appreciated!
There are millions of threads, but also a decent wiki on building up credit history. There's no real short cut though as it is the history that counts when it comes to house mortgages.

Good plan not to buy for a year or two though, but be better to wait till a greencard is in the works or been grants.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 6:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
...After a year, I did a couple of credit checks and my average score was about 725. I have no loans over here or anything else like that. Just got lucky, I guess.
Unfortunately, the score alone is pretty meaningless. It's the combination, variety and type of credit that is more important to the important stuff like mortgages.

Having a high score helps with finding a rental or job application and with utilities, but not much else on its own.

The AmEx, definitely the best jump start though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.