Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Possible move to Houston, Texas - please help!

Possible move to Houston, Texas - please help!

Old May 22nd 2012, 8:07 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Houston, Texas - please help!

Here's a hypothetical:

http://search.har.com/engine/2235-Ga...HAR5394778.htm

Has a neighbourhood pool. I walk my dog past the back of that house.

It will be very similar to the size of a UK house - not the kind of American uber-sized house you might imagine. It's a damn sight cheaper than the UK though. It really depends on what you want. As Weeze said, we wanted the pool, etc, so we pay an awful lot more than that. I wouldn't class that as a VERY nice house, but nothing wrong with it, either. The neighbourhood is a bit more variable - some of the houses don't look too well maintained, but it's not as if there are burnt out cars on bricks there!

Last edited by Mr Weeze; May 22nd 2012 at 8:09 pm.
Old May 22nd 2012, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Parisangel
It's a H1B Visa I believe!
Ah... you and the children will get H-4 visas. Just so you know, the H-4 is known as the "visa from hell" because of its restrictions.

Ian
Old May 23rd 2012, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

julie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nice

My husband had H1b visa and I had the H4. The main restriction is that you can't work on H4.

We lived in Houston for over a year and really enjoyed our experience there. Coming from Scotland, we loved the sunshine more than anything! We don't have children and lived an apartment complex. It was ideal for us as it gave us access to a pool. The temperatures do soar, so a dip in the pool was a very welcome break from the heat!

As previously mentioned, you have to be prepared to drive everywhere! They don't believe in walking to places and there are very few pavements, sorry... sidewalks!!

Houston has a huge range of activities on offer though, including lovely parks if you like being outdoors.

Something we weren't aware of/prepared for prior to our move was the fact you won't get credit straight away in Houston. It doesn't seem to matter how much savings you have in UK, unless you have a credit history in USA, then it is difficult to get credit. For us, that meant if we wanted to buy a car for example then we would have to pay upfront. When it came to utilities and getting Sky TV equivalent installed we had to pay an upfront fee of I think around $300 possibly. They called it a deposit, but to me a deposit is refundable or counts towards future payments. In reality it was a start up fee.

We were hoping to rent furnished accommodation, but this didn't appear to be an option. Nearly all properties come unfurnished, but you can rent furniture which is an additional expense.

I don't want to put you off with the above mentioned expense, that we found, just trying to give you a heads up. We really did love our time in Houston and were sorry to leave.
Old May 24th 2012, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Parisangel will become famous soon enough

Thanks again for the info, there is so much to consider...it's overwhelming!

Is it worth shipping furniture or is it cheaper to start again from scratch?

Apparently I may be able to work through my business in the ULK if I do Uk based work (eg I telephone interview people in the UK, which I can do via Skype from the US) and as long as it all runs through the UK, that might work. Can;t imagine sitting at home all day!

We won't be able to go out for a visit before moving, so I guess initially we may need a very short term rental while we get sorted, did any of you guys do that?

Also, the asking price for rent; is it then negotiable or is it fixed with no wiggle room?

Thanks again
Old May 24th 2012, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on who is paying for the shipping - if the company is paying, then ship it all, if not, it's more likely to be more cost effective to start from scratch.

Apparently I may be able to work through my business in the ULK if I do Uk based work (eg I telephone interview people in the UK, which I can do via Skype from the US) and as long as it all runs through the UK, that might work. Can;t imagine sitting at home all day!
Unfortunately, that is not correct - the fact that you are physically present in the US (rather than the 'work') is what precludes you from working.
Old May 24th 2012, 10:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We won't be able to go out for a visit before moving, so I guess initially we may need a very short term rental while we get sorted, did any of you guys do that?

Also, the asking price for rent; is it then negotiable or is it fixed with no wiggle room?

Thanks again
I think that would be classed as working and you would not have a visa allowing you to work.
Old May 24th 2012, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Yes but I would not be working to be paid in the USA or for a company in the USA ie not taking an American's job, it would all be in the UK and paid into a business in the Uk, it's only me physically who would be in the US....apparently it's common for people to run their businesses from abroad, but I guess I need to look into this further.
Old May 24th 2012, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but I would not be working to be paid in the USA or for a company in the USA ie not taking an American's job, it would all be in the UK and paid into a business in the Uk, it's only me physically who would be in the US....apparently it's common for people to run their businesses from abroad, but I guess I need to look into this further.
It may be common, and you may not get caught, but it's still not allowed on an H4 visa
Old May 24th 2012, 10:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Makes no difference...you would physically be in the US and would not have authorisation to work. It doesn't matter what country the business is located in or how or where you are paid.
Old May 24th 2012, 11:41 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Furniture - depends how much you have! My company shipped, and it was about 80% of a full sea container. When we went around doing the inventory, you get to a pretty scare cost of goods (replacement value) pretty quickly (Weeze likes her handbags!) so perhaps try to do an inventory first and estimate the value of the goods. Furniture isn't vastly cheaper here in my opinion, and in many cases seems a lot more expensive. On the plus side, they will deliver that day in some cases - no waiting 12 weeks for a sofa!

There is an Ikea, so you can get functional + cheap stuff there. Star furniture & gallery furniture are two of the biggies, and the likes of Macy's also sell furniture. After that, there is also the dump on I45, which can have some good deals. There are plenty of more individual stores too.

One thing to consider is the style of your furniture - in my opinion the status quo for furniture is more ornamental less modern, if you know what I mean. Depends on your taste entirely, and there are a lot of independent stores that do cater to other tastes, but I'm talking mass market here. If your furniture at home is very sleek/modern/clean lines etc. you may struggle to find something you like here quickly.

With rents, you can negotiate, but don't expect a whole lot of movement - maybe a couple of hundred dollars. You may be able to get a service thrown in like grass cutting or yard maintenance. We had a realtor assigned to work with us by our company, and they will guide you through it. They specialized in working with expats.

There are plenty of short term lets out there (serviced, fully furnished apartments). My work provided us with a 3 bedroom one in the Galleria area for the first 70 days. It was either $210 or $270 a night - I can't remember which. As I work for an oil company, and it was the Galleria, I imagine that is the high end of the spectrum.
Old May 24th 2012, 12:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure it is, and in some countries you wouldn't have a problem with this, or require a visa to do so. The US is different though, if you're on a H4 you cannot work at all, regardless of where the business is based or how you get paid. Even volunteer work can be iffy, unless it's true volunteer work (i.e. you don't get anything in compensation at all, not even a meal).

The people that run their business from abroad are either (a) not in the US; (b) in the US but with visa or status that allows them to work; or (c) working illegally.

Unless you can head north of the border and work from Canada maybe, it would be allowed there!
Old May 24th 2012, 12:31 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Furniture - depends how much you have! My company shipped, and it was about 80% of a full sea container. When we went around doing the inventory, you get to a pretty scare cost of goods (replacement value) pretty quickly (Weeze likes her handbags!) so perhaps try to do an inventory first and estimate the value of the goods. Furniture isn't vastly cheaper here in my opinion, and in many cases seems a lot more expensive. On the plus side, they will deliver that day in some cases - no waiting 12 weeks for a sofa!

There is an Ikea, so you can get functional + cheap stuff there. Star furniture & gallery furniture are two of the biggies, and the likes of Macy's also sell furniture. After that, there is also the dump on I45, which can have some good deals. There are plenty of more individual stores too.

One thing to consider is the style of your furniture - in my opinion the status quo for furniture is more ornamental less modern, if you know what I mean. Depends on your taste entirely, and there are a lot of independent stores that do cater to other tastes, but I'm talking mass market here. If your furniture at home is very sleek/modern/clean lines etc. you may struggle to find something you like here quickly.

With rents, you can negotiate, but don't expect a whole lot of movement - maybe a couple of hundred dollars. You may be able to get a service thrown in like grass cutting or yard maintenance. We had a realtor assigned to work with us by our company, and they will guide you through it. They specialized in working with expats.

There are plenty of short term lets out there (serviced, fully furnished apartments). My work provided us with a 3 bedroom one in the Galleria area for the first 70 days. It was either $210 or $270 a night - I can't remember which. As I work for an oil company, and it was the Galleria, I imagine that is the high end of the spectrum.
Or cheaply...! Modern furniture carries a premium here as it's not in as much demand and you have to look fairly carefully for it.

I also think furniture in general is no cheaper, possibly more expensive, it just depends what you're looking for. There are plenty of options and as Mr Weeze stated, there's an Ikea which is great for getting enough stuff to get up and running. My tastes are on the modern side, okay well they're flat out modern and it has taken me some time to find stores I like and slowly build up my furniture.

If the company is paying for shipping (pretty normal for a relocation) then ship as much as you can. I regret not shipping more.

Bear in mind that electricity bills may be high in the summer (depends on your useage and the size of house, efficiency of AC etc), possibly up to $300/month.

You will also both need cars. Houston and public transport are not two words that sit nicely with each other.
Old May 24th 2012, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but I would not be working to be paid in the USA or for a company in the USA...
You seem to think that matters! It doesn't. If you are physically in the US, you can't work without permission. Additionally, on an H-4, you can't work for yourself, and you can't "work for free".

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; May 24th 2012 at 2:39 pm.
Old May 24th 2012, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, OK! Not planning to work illegally! I was advised otherwise, jeez.

Old May 24th 2012, 3:08 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again
My hubby's company paid for our move (including shipping) so we shipped the lot. We got a container that arrived about 6 weeks after we did plus an air freight allowance that arrived in about 2 weeks.

Luckily my hubby was traveling back and forth before we moved so he sorted out a place to rent and we rented furniture until ours arrived. Furnished rentals are a bit hard to find over here. You could stay at an Extended Stay hotel until you find an apartment or home to rent - basically a hotel room with a living area and kitchenette. Because my hubby was here I arrived to an apartment, fully furnished, beds made, flowers on the table and a stocked fridge - he is a !

You can get deals on rent (first month free etc) but unfortunately as you will be 'just off the boat' with no credit history the apartment management company may use that as an excuse not to give you a good deal. I think someone else mentioned having to put down deposits to start up utilities, cable tv etc. We had to as well but got them back after a few months of making regular payments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.