Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Possible move to Houston from Aberdeen

Possible move to Houston from Aberdeen

Old May 4th 2012, 7:04 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to Houston from Aberdeen

It's so funny isn't it. Your grass can't be uneven, but the gators in the lake are fine!
Old May 4th 2012, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

PaulineB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bink
Can't help with the schooling yet as mine is too young at the moment to give any practical advice.

We live out towards Cypress (Barker @ West) and I commute to the Galleria (my office is also just off San Felipe @ 610). The commute is okay pre 6am or post 8.30 it's only 25 mins for me but it can be an hour in traffic. I used to commute 1.5 hours each way into London every day so compared to that it's a breeze.

Katy is also nice and has the benefit that I-10 has been completed and is a much nicer drive into the center than 290. There are plenty of nice areas on the West side from Katy up towards Spring it just depends where you want to be and how much you want to spend.

We bought our house last year. You can get a lot for your money if you buy, but renting is much more difficult. There is far less choice. It all depends on what your priorities are. Ours were nice area, decent schools, being able to have a decent sized yard for our son to play in and to have the sized house that we wanted (circa 3,600 sqft). We live in the Copper Lakes area and absolutely love it. All of our neighbours are really nice and friendly and we really like the area. There are chain restuarants all over Houston, this isn't isolated to just Katy and there are non-chain restaurants around too.

The beauty of being outside the city is that there is a lot of family stuff to do. A lot of the sports activities take place further out. Having lived downtown myself, I wouldn't recommend it with Children and actually although there are a few nice bars/restaurants in the midtown/downtown area, it's not somewhere I'd want to live now.
Thank you!!
Old May 4th 2012, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
Ahh - no offense on being in LOEN. Only one particular group of ladies seems to be Stepfordish, and I'm not a part of that group.... but we moved here not knowing that our neighbors most likely would not be Texan or American by birth. In our cul de sac of 8 houses, one is of a Texan couple who moved from Memorial with their 4 kids. They home school. The others are Pakistani, Indian, English, Scot, Chinese, Thai and the other is Japanese. Lets just say our block party has great food!

The communities out in Cypress are quite nice too, and I have friends at Copper Lakes. The only problem is they are far from downtown, if you like the eating and theater places around Montrose, Rice Village, etc.

As for private schools, and other areas of Houston, look into City-data.com. Just recently another thread went up about private schools. Here is that one: http://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...s-houston.html I realize those are high schools, but you can post the question for private elementary schools.

We chose Lakes on Eldridge North because we travel so much that the house is vacant often. The idea of a monitored, gated community with sheriff patrol attracted us. Along with the lakes and amenities - the second biggest draw was the 7 mile drive to hubby's work. Our first plan was to live in Memorial, but the stock of housing was quite aged and we weren't ready to do renovations along with our move here.

What is so important is to get a good feel of the neighborhoods first, esp if you cannot rent. We also went with a local Houston realtor (she was exceptional - I'm happy to recommend her) instead of the realtor the company offered (a Brit who had only lived here about 4 years and insisted Katy was the only place for us...) - and we did Katy for rush hours, school let out times, etc. After a few days, we knew Katy wasn't for us (which means for US, not for everyone else! Many people love it out there, especially those with kids!) We then spent time in Cypress - loved it out there but decided that closer was better for us, as my husband did not want to get up at 5 AM to get ready for work.

We lived on the south part of Aberdeen and often had 30 minutes wait at the Brig o Dee. After Houston, that wait won't affect us in the least!

I've lived in Dallas, Fort Worth and Las Vegas before, and Houston traffic is some of the worst I've seen in the USA. Even locals will tell you - try to live close to where you work.

Above all, get a good feel for the neighborhood by spending time in them. One Aberdonian insisted they were moving to Fairfield, sight unseen, because so many other Brits told them how great it was. They got here, rented in there, and hated it because it was far from work and other activities. They had a home built in Bridgeland. I'm giving you these names so you can google them for location.

My husband's company is British, and mostly expats in his department. The single folk tend to go toward Galleria, Rice V and Montrose. The married and young folk without kids tend to be in the Heights, Montrose, Rice. The married with kids seem to be Bellaire, Copperfield, Cypress and Katy. The Lakes of Eldridge crowds tend to be older marrieds with teens or empty nests. The Twin Lakes crowd is definitely family as those houses are rarely under 4000 sq ft. Shell and BP stock these last communities. Everyone in our cul de sac of 8 is in the oil and gas sector except the two homes with retirees, and one of those is retired oil folk. So I can see Katy having more of a melting pot of people from all over the world (including many more natives) than some of these neighborhoods so close to Shell, BP, etc.

The families I know that moved to Katy are quite happy there. Is this a permanent move? We were offered 3 months rental by the company first and we chose the Memorial Area. They let us choose the area, which was really helpful. This gave us time to look around, see places and decide.

It'll be a nice adventure for you all, and you'll find many friendly folk here.
Thank you!!
Old May 4th 2012, 9:04 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
It's so funny isn't it. Your grass can't be uneven, but the gators in the lake are fine!
What really got me is that the lot next to ours hasn't been built yet (we're in a new section of the subdivision). I don't see them cutting their grass!
Old May 4th 2012, 9:15 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Just to put a little context on that rather bizarre post about Katy earlier in the thread....not looking to start a "my grass is greener than yours" spat, but there is a lot of misleading and incorrect stuff in there that isn't really fair to someone trying to get a feel for the area.

We've lived in Katy for 10 years - I wouldn't say I'm in love with it, but it sort of works. We came here because the kids' grandparents/aunts/uncles/cousins are here, and for no other reason. Otherwise, if we had to be in Houston, I'd probably look at Sugarland or The Woodlands (latter is not a good idea if working in the Galleria!). The Heights is a great area, but with a family? Really, I find that an odd suggestion.

I do tend to agree on the restaurants - Katy is not best served with high class restaurants - its more the "family dining" ie kids menu, nuggets, burgers, mac cheese. Bu its not much of a drive to get to some pretty reasonable restaurant areas.

The public schools are supposed to be good, but as we have only experienced this school district, it' hard for me to compare from personal point of view. Friends/Neighbours who have moved in from elsewhere (US, UK, Scandinavia, Asia) have all compared KISD favorably, and few use the non-American system unless they are planning a short stay. We have friends here on 2-3 year contracts who go to the British School - most say its not as good as the private schools they moved from in the UK, and all bemoan the fact that the kids have very different holiday schedules to the majority of the kids in their neighborhoods, which hasn't made for an easy transition socially for the kids. Obviously this may be different if you lived in an expat area where a large percentage stick to the overseas schools, but not many people in Katy seem to do that.

Now for the Bizarre stuff -
House prices are cheap in Katy? Katy is huge, and has a huge variation, so not sure how that statement comes about. Quick look on HAR.com can pull up 3 bed townhouses for a little over 100k or 6 beds for 1.5 mill. It depends what you want. Houses for sale on Lakes on Eldridge curently range from 300k to 1mill.

Katy looks like a housing estate? If you were plonked in the middle of LOE or the middle of a Cinco subdivision of similarly priced houses, the feel would be pretty much the same. You'll notice more difference once you get out of the subdivisions - as mentioned above, LOE is close to some not particularly nice areas.

1 hour from katy to the Galleria? Depends where you are in Katy. We're in the south (Fry/99), my wife has been commuting to San Felipe for 3.5 years on Westpark and it takes 25-30 minutes in rush hour. No need to get anywhere near I-10. South Katy is a very viable option for Galleria commuting

Why all the Brits run to Katy is beyond me. Maybe its because its good for families?

The restaurants are all chain, Can't argue with that in the main, although there are some nice options out in the country (which is a lot easier to access from Katy) and the drive to say Memorial city is only 20 minutes.

Its very family-oriented, Isn't that a plus for a family?

but it remains 17 miles from downtown Why would that be an issue for someone with a job in the Galleria?

Like I say, not looking to get in a pi$$ing match, just trying to put some context on some statements from someone who obviously has a downer on Katy for whatever reason.
Old May 5th 2012, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
You can't escape the HOA's!! We got a letter from them 3 weeks after we moved in as we hadn't cut our lawn and apparently the tiny little spurt of grass in one place was bothering them! I think most places have similar regs to be honest it's just that some enforce them a little more forceably than others! We, for example, have to have at least 2 trees in our front yard at all times, keep everything looking neat (mow the lawn etc reguarly) and I think we can only use certain colors on the outside of the house.
Yeah...you can't avoid the HOAs for the most part, but then again HOAs here aren't as crazy as those in Vegas. Plus, HOA boards are elected yearly so bad ones come and go. We've had no problem at all in LOEN, but I know neighbors being asked to remove temporary basketball nets, for example. Certain colors on houses is a common reg, and the regs and covenants we got from Cinco in Katy were actually longer than at LOEN. We agree to the HOA regs as property values hold where we are, and the reserve for the maintenance is healthy for roads, etc. in the community. The yearly rate is reasonable for what we get.

The thread isn't to knock Katy or any place. Each all have their pluses and minuses! Best for OP and family to decide what is most important and what can be compromised. THEN experience the places themselves, including the grocery stores! If we had a family of school age, we too probably would have looked longer at Katy.
Old May 5th 2012, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Just to put a little context on that rather bizarre post about Katy earlier in the thread....not looking to start a "my grass is greener than yours" spat, but there is a lot of misleading and incorrect stuff in there that isn't really fair to someone trying to get a feel for the area.

We've lived in Katy for 10 years - I wouldn't say I'm in love with it, but it sort of works. We came here because the kids' grandparents/aunts/uncles/cousins are here, and for no other reason. Otherwise, if we had to be in Houston, I'd probably look at Sugarland or The Woodlands (latter is not a good idea if working in the Galleria!). The Heights is a great area, but with a family? Really, I find that an odd suggestion.

I do tend to agree on the restaurants - Katy is not best served with high class restaurants - its more the "family dining" ie kids menu, nuggets, burgers, mac cheese. Bu its not much of a drive to get to some pretty reasonable restaurant areas.

The public schools are supposed to be good, but as we have only experienced this school district, it' hard for me to compare from personal point of view. Friends/Neighbours who have moved in from elsewhere (US, UK, Scandinavia, Asia) have all compared KISD favorably, and few use the non-American system unless they are planning a short stay. We have friends here on 2-3 year contracts who go to the British School - most say its not as good as the private schools they moved from in the UK, and all bemoan the fact that the kids have very different holiday schedules to the majority of the kids in their neighborhoods, which hasn't made for an easy transition socially for the kids. Obviously this may be different if you lived in an expat area where a large percentage stick to the overseas schools, but not many people in Katy seem to do that.

Now for the Bizarre stuff -
House prices are cheap in Katy? Katy is huge, and has a huge variation, so not sure how that statement comes about. Quick look on HAR.com can pull up 3 bed townhouses for a little over 100k or 6 beds for 1.5 mill. It depends what you want. Houses for sale on Lakes on Eldridge curently range from 300k to 1mill.

Katy looks like a housing estate? If you were plonked in the middle of LOE or the middle of a Cinco subdivision of similarly priced houses, the feel would be pretty much the same. You'll notice more difference once you get out of the subdivisions - as mentioned above, LOE is close to some not particularly nice areas.

1 hour from katy to the Galleria? Depends where you are in Katy. We're in the south (Fry/99), my wife has been commuting to San Felipe for 3.5 years on Westpark and it takes 25-30 minutes in rush hour. No need to get anywhere near I-10. South Katy is a very viable option for Galleria commuting

Why all the Brits run to Katy is beyond me. Maybe its because its good for families?

The restaurants are all chain, Can't argue with that in the main, although there are some nice options out in the country (which is a lot easier to access from Katy) and the drive to say Memorial city is only 20 minutes.

Its very family-oriented, Isn't that a plus for a family?

but it remains 17 miles from downtown Why would that be an issue for someone with a job in the Galleria?

Like I say, not looking to get in a pi$$ing match, just trying to put some context on some statements from someone who obviously has a downer on Katy for whatever reason.
Thanx for the info and advice. It goes without saying, the nicer the neighbourhood i.e Bellaire for example the higher the cost of houses. I can imagine Katy being a huge housing estate and I can't see the commute being too much hassle now that the I-10 has been redone.
Old May 15th 2012, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

DeveronD is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pauline,

Can't add too much to the above posts. All good advice.

We moved over in February and are currently renting an apartment on Eldridge (energy corridor). We like the area and it's central for everything.

We're looking to move into a rental home with a pool in the next couple of months. and are considering Katy, Cypress areas as my work is out 290. We have friends who have stayed in Katy / Cinco for 15 years and they love it.

We have used HAR website and there's plenty of choice, unless you're real picky, like my wife . We didn't have a pool in Dyce, but apparently it's a must over here. Would be good to get up every morning and go for a swim mind you.

Have you heard of any other sites who do rentals?

Good luck with the move.

Dave
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Steelo27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PaulineB
Hi,
My husband has been offered a job in Houston. We currently live in Aberdeen and have two children aged 7 and 5. I have never been to Houston and have heard many negative comments about the place. I do feel that 'Katy' would be the best place for us to live with the children but they would be going to the British School of Houston if we decide to go. Are there any other 'nice' areas nearer to the school or is the commute possible from Katy? My husbands office is in San Felipe. I also believe there are good schools in Katy but they don't follow the 'British' curriculum and have been told they are 'big' schools which would scare my daughter as she is currently attending a small village school.

Any information/advise would be greatly appreciated.
Hi there - Houston is a big city. But I have lived here for many many years and I can tell you the best area to raise a family with the best public and private schools is in Sugar Land (a very nice suburb 15 to 30 minutes from everywhere you need to go in Houston). It is about 15 minutes from the Galleria area (with no traffic) and about 25 minutes from Downtown Houston.

If Sugar Land doesnt work for you, then I suggest the gated community of Lakes On Eldridge North (LOEN) in northwest Houston - I would guess that a quarter of the 1081 homes in LOEN are British Expats and the British School has a bus pick up at the community center in the community. Address to the community center is 12115 Catalina Shores Dr. Houston, TX. 77041 - so you can plug it into your GPS. This place is leaps and bounds ahead of Katy (not that Katy is bad.. its just "lack luster" and has a few bad areas).