Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Using my US iPhone whilst in the UK?

Using my US iPhone whilst in the UK?

Old Feb 19th 2013, 1:57 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Using my US iPhone whilst in the UK?

I have an iphone 3gs that I would like use whilst I am in the UK.

It is my old phone, so is currently out-of-contract (no service at all).

It is unlocked (by AT&T / Apple) so is not tied to a carrier.

I THINK all I need to do to use this in the UK is drop in a Pay-As-You-Go SIM card?

If this is correct, any suggestions where I would go to get one of these? Is it something i can do ahead of time whilst I am still in the US?

I would like to be able to make local (UK) phone calls, and be able to recieve email. Calls to / from the US would be nice as well, but not absolutely required.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using my US iPhone whilst in the UK?

giffgaff.com might be your best bet.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 2:49 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainsensible
giffgaff.com might be your best bet.
Looks like the sort of thing, but they are telling me I need to have a UK address to activate the SIM.

They also want a UK registered Debit/Credit card.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, that seems a bit arse. Could a relative in the UK do it?
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:13 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
I THINK all I need to do to use this in the UK is drop in a Pay-As-You-Go SIM card?
You should be able to buy a SIM card with a UK number at a phone shop in the UK in just a few minutes.

There are many to choose from. I've had reasonable luck with Virgin Mobile (although I didn't use the smartphone features, so I have no comment about the data plan): http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/paygSimCardOnly.do

If you need to be reached at your US number, then that might complicate matters. If you have GSM service in the US, then you should be able to roam (at a high price.) If your current US carrier isn't GSM, then call your carrier to see whether this is an option for you.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:22 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't you just pick up a Pay-As-You-Go sim card at ASDA or other store?
http://direct.asda.com/on/demandware...how?q=sim+card

Back in 2005 you used to be able to buy them almost anywhere, has that changed?
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
You should be able to buy a SIM card with a UK number at a phone shop in the UK in just a few minutes.

There are many to choose from. I've had reasonable luck with Virgin Mobile (although I didn't use the smartphone features, so I have no comment about the data plan): http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/paygSimCardOnly.do

If you need to be reached at your US number, then that might complicate matters. If you have GSM service in the US, then you should be able to roam (at a high price.) If your current US carrier isn't GSM, then call your carrier to see whether this is an option for you.
Thats probably what I will do. Buying once I am there will be ok.. Just thought I could get a jump on it and do it from here. I was hoping to have service when I got off the plane at Heathrow.

There is no existing carrier for this phone, so no need to complicate it with anything US-related at least.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by thinbrit
Couldn't you just pick up a Pay-As-You-Go sim card at ASDA or other store?
http://direct.asda.com/on/demandware...how?q=sim+card

Back in 2005 you used to be able to buy them almost anywhere, has that changed?
No idea. If you could do it in 05 then I am sure you can now. It's not something I am familliar with, having left there in the mid-90's.

I am sure Asda (or similar) will be fine... i was just hoping to have it sorted for when the plane landed. No biggie really.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:44 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

I was hoping to have service when I got off the plane at Heathrow.
There's a Vodaphone shop in Terminal 5, if that helps.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/shop,...njoy/shops-a_z

There is no existing carrier for this phone, so no need to complicate it with anything US-related at least.
I was referring to your US number, not to the handset. A new SIM will obviously include a new UK phone number that nobody else will have, which makes that an awkward option for business travel, etc.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

MiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno if this is the case still, but when I was in the UK I asked the geezer at carphonewarehouse about buying a cheap pay as you go for when I'm in the UK. He said the only problem with this is that if you dont use it for 6 months the account or something gets deleted. I can't be sure that Im back in the UK that frequently do I didn't bother.
In the end I got one of those crappy 'mobal' phones that charges your credit card when you use it. expensive call costs but free for incoming calls and texts.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:07 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

On arrival visit any phone store - I like "Phones 4 U" as I hqve got good deals from them and ask which PAYG sim only deal would be best for your needs.

Many supermarkets sell SIM only packs for 99p or thereabouts. With Orange you can certainly choose whether you want a test heavy or calls heavy "bundle", data is probably extra rather than included, but getting cheaper all the time.

Lizzy - still in the UK but fingers crossed heading out to the US later in the year.....

Last edited by lizzyq; Feb 19th 2013 at 4:07 pm. Reason: spilling mistook
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
There's a Vodaphone shop in Terminal 5, if that helps.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/shop,...njoy/shops-a_z

I was referring to your US number, not to the handset. A new SIM will obviously include a new UK phone number that nobody else will have, which makes that an awkward option for business travel, etc.
That's interesting. I wonder if you can get to that from the incoming gate or if its after security for outgoing.
It's only for personal use, so no business needs really (except email would be handy).
Guess I will wait and see how things go. I never looked at this stuff before (I avoid phones wherever possible) and I'm a little suprised that i cant just go to Amazon or somewhere and buy one.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Lizzy - still in the UK but fingers crossed heading out to the US later in the year.....
Bring me a SIM

Thanks for the info.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That's interesting. I wonder if you can get to that from the incoming gate or if its after security for outgoing.
It's only for personal use, so no business needs really (except email would be handy).
Guess I will wait and see how things go. I never looked at this stuff before (I avoid phones wherever possible) and I'm a little suprised that i cant just go to Amazon or somewhere and buy one.
There's probably a Dixons or some such knocking around in the general area, well there's always some store or other selling travel plug adapters and the like. You'll be able to get a sim or cheap PAYG phone there.

Tbh, it'll probably be easier to find than the bogs.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

When I go back to the UK I get an O2 sim card for international calling.

Last time I went (August 2012) I got a free sim card and put £10 on the card in the store. This gave me 70 minutes of free calls to the US plus 100 free texts, UK calls were 2p per minute. All incoming calls were free. This was for a non smart phone though but i'm sure they do similar deals for iphones and smart phones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.