Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

POE = EWR - experiences?

POE = EWR - experiences?

Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default POE = EWR - experiences?

Ok so we fly in via Newark next week.

Can anyone who flew in on an IR1/CR1 visa via EWR tell me whether they asked/allowed your spouse to accompany you to secondary, or whether they just want you on your own?

We could have gone via Philly via US Airways as that was the cheapest flight, but I don't much like PHL, it was a bit dumpy last time and took ages to get through immigration. Plus MAN-EWR is a nice short transatlantic flight (as those go).
Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: POE = EWR - experiences?

No quite the same but on my trips in, my USC wife went and got the baggage whilst I went through secondary.

But they should let you go with her through the USC line prior to that.

This I think would be normal, I am sure there are the usual exceptions.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Skiboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Ok so we fly in via Newark next week.

Can anyone who flew in on an IR1/CR1 visa via EWR tell me whether they asked/allowed your spouse to accompany you to secondary, or whether they just want you on your own?
Not quite the same scenario, but I did get pulled into secondary once at EWR, and they were pretty firm in asking my USC spouse to 'stand to one side'. That said, they were perfectly polite once I was in there.

When I did my IR1 this time (at LAX), my wife was not allowed into secondary with me. She was told (nicely) to go and get the luggage, and then shown to seating outside secondary.

For what it's worth, I wasn't questioned at all in secondary at LAX. I had my fingerprint taken, waited around while they processed the paperwork, and was then handed my passport with stamped visa with the words "You're good to go".

And noting Boiler's reply, I was told at the Embassy specifically to go through the visitors line, not the citizens line. I've been going through the citz line for years on my UK passport but only when with with my wife. Never had a problem, but went through the visitors line when activating my visa.

Good luck

Paul
Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I presume they pulled you out of line when they saw your MBE?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Skiboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
I presume they pulled you out of line when they saw your MBE?
Something to do (I think) with a visa waiver that hadn't been taken out of my passport when leaving the country. But then they talked about a green card too, so who knows!
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I went through Secondary with the DH when he immigrated. YMMV, but operate under that assumption. Remember the Jesuit Prinicple!