Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Please wipe your feet!

Please wipe your feet!

Old Jun 10th 2003, 2:25 pm
ScarlettHill

Default Please wipe your feet!

Better still, take them off at the door and come on in

Not put off by the fact I began a thread about Dallas and inadvertently started World War III, I'm gonna have another go. Ner!

Just waffling really - spending the summer surrounded by kiddies so it's nice to talk to the odd grown-up in and among...

The postie brought our green cards yesterday - YAAAY! I still believe, against all evidence, that one day I'll also have a social security number. Meanwhile, I'm spending the summer looking after other people's children.

The summer holiday is such a huge thing here if you have kids. Three months off school. How to keep them from being bored silly. And the prices of even the day camps are huge.

So it's a summer of swimming and hamster-feeding and crafts for me. NOt my first choice of occupation but then I seem to be in about a minority of one, judging from the threads recently, in that I didn't become better off by being here, get three cars (in fact I lost the one I had), a barby by the beach and a million-dollar job. I sold everything I had - as did my fiance - just to make this happen. I don't regret it though I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss my dog (my sister adopted her) and the walks down to the river from our mosquito-less village (no joke I currently have more than 30 bites). I find some things hard to get used to - like carrying ID everywhere, living in a city - but mainly I'm so bloody grateful that we're all together.

I love curling up in bed eating ice cream while Garth reads me the latest obscure book he's picked out of his library. I like all the sunshine most of the time. I love that my kids are so happy. Mostly what I like is the incredible feeling that, starting so far away, and finding each other against all the odds, we somehow managed to get through to today, make our dreams come true.

Sound like slush? I don't mean everything is rose-tinted (it's a @@@@@ long walk from the shops in the heat sometimes and the lack of SSN makes it tough), I just mean that what's happened to us - for us - is so huge it overwhelms me sometimes.

....well, in between starting this and now, I've been organising glitter-glue etc and I have no idea where I was going. Also, I guess I'm hesitating a bit in case what I say is taken the wrong way.... I came away from reading some of the recent posts feeling almost physically bruised. Should I delete that bit.... I dunno...

I'd love to hear some stories that aren't about who has the biggest car, highest salary, and how that's really what it's all about. Real stories about real people? Anyone?

Be gentle with me - I'm feeling kinda fragile today

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Old Jun 10th 2003, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please wipe your feet!

[i]

Real stories about real people? Anyone?

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

I think that whatever you put in a thread it ends up as World War Three, so don't worry.

Well I too gave up just about all to be here, if you class a big salary company car, expenses, world travel etc etc as being a good thing, 80 hour weeks wore thin and being permanently grouchy with the kids was a pain. I had a nice house by the sea lots of material things, and I don’t miss any of them.

We live in a beautiful part of Maryland in a modest house on a 5 acre lot, a small above ground pool, we have cars yes and other nice things but above all we have a quality that money can’t buy, I often walk down to the river which is 100 yards away and fish, catching trout is easy there. The solitude, the sun, the seasons in general all add to the quality of life, the people around here are great, I have quickly made dear friends who genuinely look out for you. In the evenings I can watch deer in the garden (yard), watch the chipmunks play and squeak, enjoy the company of Humming Birds at the nectar feeder while I sip a cool beer on the deck, but avoid the rabid Raccoons that you occasionally get around here.

Sadly my kids are back in England, all at A level and University stages, but holidays and Christmas will be special, they have a home here and in the UK, their options are vast now when they are older, not restricted to living and working in the UK and Europe, they can now come and live here in the USA once I have citizenship ( earlier I guess). The internet gives me communication with them each day, they miss me like I miss them, but also see this as a wonderful opening for them. Hell boyfriends and Girlfriends all take up their time at that age, parents become kinda redundant, except for interest free loans that never need repaying lol.

So moving here has had its downside and its upside, but now I have no hesitation in saying this is where I want to be, I just want my EAD and i'm away to work ( I have my SS#). I have a job lined up, the salary isn’t close to what I had in the UK, no company car, no expenses, but I don’t give a toss, I had the opportunity of taking a job with an associate company I worked with in the UK here in the USA with a far bigger salary, but chose not to go there. Who knows what the future holds, ultimately I would love to work for myself and be my own master, but right now I have what I want.

One evening while sitting reflectively on the deck recently, I asked myself why it was good, and my answer…………….because I am happy with the company and love of Christine, and probably more relaxed than at any time in my life……simple.

Rob

PS: ok, yes I do have a warm side to me, as hard as that might be to believe.
Old Jun 10th 2003, 5:42 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Scarlett, I am glad things have worked out for you. It must be amazing to live through this and actually come out with your dream. I am hoping to get where you are someday soon. I've been waiting for 2 and a half years to be with my partner and I have just had it with waiting. All I want is for us to be together but this long-distance thing is so hard. I'm nearly there...hope to move over in September, but I am at my wits end, especially with the paperwork. I just want to be at home...together...in the US, and to start my new job over there. I am very anxious at the whole process of tearing up ones roots and replanting somewhere else, but I have faith. I think it is for the best but this waiting is soul-destroying. I hope you get your SSN very soon! Enjoy the weather. It's grey and gloomy over here as usual!
Old Jun 10th 2003, 6:35 pm
ScarlettHill

Originally posted by robclews
I think that whatever you put in a thread it ends up as World War Three, so don't worry.

Well I too gave up just about all to be here, if you class a big salary company car, expenses, world travel etc etc as being a good thing, 80 hour weeks wore thin and being permanently grouchy with the kids was a pain. I had a nice house by the sea lots of material things, and I don’t miss any of them.

We live in a beautiful part of Maryland in a modest house on a 5 acre lot, a small above ground pool, we have cars yes and other nice things but above all we have a quality that money can’t buy, I often walk down to the river which is 100 yards away and fish, catching trout is easy there. The solitude, the sun, the seasons in general all add to the quality of life, the people around here are great, I have quickly made dear friends who genuinely look out for you. In the evenings I can watch deer in the garden (yard), watch the chipmunks play and squeak, enjoy the company of Humming Birds at the nectar feeder while I sip a cool beer on the deck, but avoid the rabid Raccoons that you occasionally get around here.

Sadly my kids are back in England, all at A level and University stages, but holidays and Christmas will be special, they have a home here and in the UK, their options are vast now when they are older, not restricted to living and working in the UK and Europe, they can now come and live here in the USA once I have citizenship ( earlier I guess). The internet gives me communication with them each day, they miss me like I miss them, but also see this as a wonderful opening for them. Hell boyfriends and Girlfriends all take up their time at that age, parents become kinda redundant, except for interest free loans that never need repaying lol.

So moving here has had its downside and its upside, but now I have no hesitation in saying this is where I want to be, I just want my EAD and i'm away to work ( I have my SS#). I have a job lined up, the salary isn’t close to what I had in the UK, no company car, no expenses, but I don’t give a toss, I had the opportunity of taking a job with an associate company I worked with in the UK here in the USA with a far bigger salary, but chose not to go there. Who knows what the future holds, ultimately I would love to work for myself and be my own master, but right now I have what I want.

One evening while sitting reflectively on the deck recently, I asked myself why it was good, and my answer…………….because I am happy with the company and love of Christine, and probably more relaxed than at any time in my life……simple.

Rob

PS: ok, yes I do have a warm side to me, as hard as that might be to believe.
Ha! I don't find that hard to believe so ner!
I really enjoyed reading your post - trout mmmmmm

I think you're right about the kids. I have an older nephew who loves the fact he can come over here - it's opened up possibilities for him. He's been once already and is planning another trip. At Christmas a niece is coming over for a visit.

I envy you your fish and the SSN LOL.

Thanks for posting

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Old Jun 10th 2003, 6:37 pm
ScarlettHill

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Scarlett, I am glad things have worked out for you. It must be amazing to live through this and actually come out with your dream. I am hoping to get where you are someday soon. I've been waiting for 2 and a half years to be with my partner and I have just had it with waiting. All I want is for us to be together but this long-distance thing is so hard. I'm nearly there...hope to move over in September, but I am at my wits end, especially with the paperwork. I just want to be at home...together...in the US, and to start my new job over there. I am very anxious at the whole process of tearing up ones roots and replanting somewhere else, but I have faith. I think it is for the best but this waiting is soul-destroying. I hope you get your SSN very soon! Enjoy the weather. It's grey and gloomy over here as usual!
Wishing you a speedy process! I think the last bit of waiting is the hardest but it WILL pass

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Old Jun 11th 2003, 11:25 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ScarlettHill
Better still, take them off at the door and come on in

Not put off by the fact I began a thread about Dallas and inadvertently started World War III, I'm gonna have another go. Ner!

Just waffling really - spending the summer surrounded by kiddies so it's nice to talk to the odd grown-up in and among...

The postie brought our green cards yesterday - YAAAY! I still believe, against all evidence, that one day I'll also have a social security number. Meanwhile, I'm spending the summer looking after other people's children.

The summer holiday is such a huge thing here if you have kids. Three months off school. How to keep them from being bored silly. And the prices of even the day camps are huge.

So it's a summer of swimming and hamster-feeding and crafts for me. NOt my first choice of occupation but then I seem to be in about a minority of one, judging from the threads recently, in that I didn't become better off by being here, get three cars (in fact I lost the one I had), a barby by the beach and a million-dollar job. I sold everything I had - as did my fiance - just to make this happen. I don't regret it though I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss my dog (my sister adopted her) and the walks down to the river from our mosquito-less village (no joke I currently have more than 30 bites). I find some things hard to get used to - like carrying ID everywhere, living in a city - but mainly I'm so bloody grateful that we're all together.

I love curling up in bed eating ice cream while Garth reads me the latest obscure book he's picked out of his library. I like all the sunshine most of the time. I love that my kids are so happy. Mostly what I like is the incredible feeling that, starting so far away, and finding each other against all the odds, we somehow managed to get through to today, make our dreams come true.

Sound like slush? I don't mean everything is rose-tinted (it's a @@@@@ long walk from the shops in the heat sometimes and the lack of SSN makes it tough), I just mean that what's happened to us - for us - is so huge it overwhelms me sometimes.

....well, in between starting this and now, I've been organising glitter-glue etc and I have no idea where I was going. Also, I guess I'm hesitating a bit in case what I say is taken the wrong way.... I came away from reading some of the recent posts feeling almost physically bruised. Should I delete that bit.... I dunno...

I'd love to hear some stories that aren't about who has the biggest car, highest salary, and how that's really what it's all about. Real stories about real people? Anyone?

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Hi

I will be flying over to the US on 10th July to be with my husband with my K3 visa. I am excited but my excitement is tinged with much sadness and emotion. I have two children 21yrs and nearly 19yrs who will be staying in the UK. My kids and me have been on our own for many years as a single parent family unit until I met my husband. I have so many mixed emotions about leaving them here in the UK but also want to have a life for myself after the last 14 years of single parent hood. I am going to miss them terribly but I know they are independant grown young adults with their own lives ahead of them. I wish they were little again so I could just decide for them that they should come with me, but maybe sometime in the future ... I hope!

I have a well paid nursing job here in UK and have absolutely no idea what I am going to do in the US. The prospect of taking two big exms to be able to practice nursing fills me with dread...I am no longer the young thing that can read something and remember it well enough for exams!! Anyway, after years of hard work in the NHS (27yrs) it might be nice to work in a shop!! I am taking my dog with me...she can't argue about it!!

I'd better stop here ...any more and I'll have to reach for the tissues!!

Maggie
Old Jun 12th 2003, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Real life stories ..hmm

OK here goes, met and fell in love (makes me sound like a dreamy teenager eh?) with a wonderful guy from Michigan USA, for me fate doing this wasnt even a shock, after 2 bad marriages and 5 (yes 5) children nothing shocks me now .... however the logistics of a long distance relationship did throw me a bit. After all the usual visits to Michigan, him visiting me in wonderful Barrow-in-Furness-by-the-sea reality hit, he's primary carer for his elderly mother plus he has a criminal record which meant he couldnt move to the UK.
Family conference time, looks like mums moving to the USA who's coming ?? Now the hard bit, ex (GrrR) is adamant 2 youngest arent moving with me, blah blah blah ... they end up in boarding school This as it turns out is a blessing my son Alex is severely dyslexic and is in a year with only 6 children so gets all the extra help he needs, my daughter Maddie is bright as a button and top of the class and so busy doing after school sports she rarely knows what day it is. Next is James (18) nope not coming either, "but i love my girlfriend and i'm at college" okie dokie that leaves 16yr old Liam and 20yr old Shaun, yep theyre coming (or as it is now are here with me)
Sent in K1 petition, got approved (9/11 happened a month after we sent our petition in the INS were in yearly audit and everything ground to a terrible halt. 9 months later had interviews in London and came home with 3 visas. A week before we were due to move 16 yr old decides he doesnt want to go *sigh* he doesnt want to leave his g/f (0f 2 weeks) and best mate, sorry fella youre coming you'll love it honest.

So here I am 1 year later, done the SSN, done the AOS, got our greencards. Great eh ?? wellll umm yes except for 16yr old who cant keep out of trouble, and nothing small either, drugs, stealing (as part of a peer team effort) and last but not least minor in possession of alcohol. He's managed to accrue $500 in fines so far, next week we go to court (very interesting experience by the way) again and sit and watch as he gets fined/given probation who knows? Meanwhile back at the ranch (well small farmhouse actually) Shaun is still without a job, it would seem he's intimidated by Americans *another sigh* whats to do ???

So thats me, living in the US with 2 out of 5 of my children with a guy I love to bits, both of us working our butts off to keep us in our home and fed fun... ! fun! fun !
Would i choose anything different ? NO .. well maybe that Liam steers clear of the police for a long long while but otherwise nothing ... i work on a farm/equestrian centre as gardener, i have more of a (farmer) tan now than i've had in whole English summers, I'm totally knackered every evening but hey look who's waiting for me .... weee my lubbly hubbly

See it does all turn out in the end

Happy happy Jan

Oh p.s i didnt mention a car ..... yep i've got one ... its in the shop having $400 worth of brakes installed right now so :PP