Reload this Page >

Nursing in the USA

Nursing in the USA

Old Jun 11th 2003, 8:25 pm
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nursing in the USA

We are moving to the US this summer with my husbands job, so I don't need to nurse to obtain a visa but I would be interested to know if anyone knows what the rules about nursing are.

I am a fully qualified RGN with 10 years experience and further qualifications in Intensive Care. However I have not been nursing whilst I have been living in Sweden, so have been out of the field for 3 years.

If I do want to nurse in the US does anyone know what I need to do and how long it takes? I vaguelly know something about 'State boards' and on my husbands visa can apply for a work permit, which takes approx 90 days. Other than that I'm pretty vague.

Any help in this area would be appreciated,
Thanks Emm.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Trinity is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello! My mom's been a nurse for the last 25 years, but I dont have any true link to it. I'm an accountant.

But I did find these links. The first one lists the foreign requirements by state, and both link to the state nursing board websites.

http://ilw.com/lawyers/colum_article...3-siskind.shtm

http://www.ssbinc.com/medway/map_nur...ard_of_Nursing

Hope they help!
Old Jun 11th 2003, 8:53 pm
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Trinity
Hello! My mom's been a nurse for the last 25 years, but I dont have any true link to it. I'm an accountant.

But I did find these links. The first one lists the foreign requirements by state, and both link to the state nursing board websites.

http://ilw.com/lawyers/colum_article...3-siskind.shtm

http://www.ssbinc.com/medway/map_nur...ard_of_Nursing

Hope they help!
Thanks Trinity,

I shall take a look.

Emm.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

SueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Emm,

I am in the process of sorting out things myself to nurse in FLorida.
You will have to do 2 exams (depending on which state you will be in) - CGFNS and the NCLEX.

Look on this web-site

https://www.cgfns.org

YOu wont be able to nurse out in the USA until you get your License. Apparently it takes about 12-18 months to sort everything out.

I am 10 months down the line and still waiting to hear when i can do the NCLEX! (and i am with an agency too - www.usbritishnurse.com)

Another web-site is : www.caring4you.net/nclex

If you need any further help - pm me

Sue

Old Jun 11th 2003, 11:02 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Emm,

I am going from the UK to the USA to nurse too. I took only the NCLEX State Boards exam, and not the CGFNS, and I went through an agency specializing in getting nurses over to the States. You also have to be in current employment as a nurse for at least a year while you are applying. I was also out of nursing for a while, but went back in order to do this. I started my new job and simultaneously applied for my green card, as it takes about 18 months to process, in which time you can get the years experience you need. You need a licence before you can take the exam, and then again for whichever state you wish to work in, but the agency should sort that out.

Some agencies do things differently. Mine got me through my NCLEX first and applied for my green card before finding me a job, and others find you the job first and then make you do the exam. I'm also in ICU and am currently being placed in a job, and should have my embassy interview in August. Good luck!
Old Jun 12th 2003, 6:25 am
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, it is very useful. I think I will wait until I have moved over there and then look into it further as we are now in the final stages of moving ( packers come next week:scared: ).

Good luck to you both, I hope it doesn't take too long for you to get to where you want to be.

Emm.
Old Jun 12th 2003, 1:58 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing in the USA

Originally posted by Emm
We are moving to the US this summer with my husbands job, so I don't need to nurse to obtain a visa but I would be interested to know if anyone knows what the rules about nursing are.

I am a fully qualified RGN with 10 years experience and further qualifications in Intensive Care. However I have not been nursing whilst I have been living in Sweden, so have been out of the field for 3 years.

If I do want to nurse in the US does anyone know what I need to do and how long it takes? I vaguelly know something about 'State boards' and on my husbands visa can apply for a work permit, which takes approx 90 days. Other than that I'm pretty vague.

Any help in this area would be appreciated,
Thanks Emm.
I'm not a nurse but I think you may need to get national certification and also state certification to work as an RGN in NC.

As you probably already know, there's a short of qualified and experienced nurses in the US and NC is no different.

If you search on the web for certification boards for NC, I'm sure you'll find relevant info.

Best of luck,

NC Penguin