Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Please help me choose b/w Irvine, CA & Richmond, VA

Please help me choose b/w Irvine, CA & Richmond, VA

Old Mar 25th 2011, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please help me choose b/w Irvine, CA & Richmond, VA

QUOTE=meauxna;9264531]So what will?
Seriously, all you have told us is that you don't have kids but you might in the future and the weather has no bearing on your choice.

"So all I'm worried is to choose the right location and I shouldn't have any regrets later with my decision!!"

But you give no information here as to what makes the 'right' location for you.

Flip a coin?[/QUOTE]

Old Mar 25th 2011, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
Are you going to be making regular trips back to the UK? A lot easier to do that from the east coast than the west.
I really think that is a myth - there are plenty of direct flights to the UK from the west coast and considering the total door to door travel time to get from the US to the UK the difference in flight times doesn't make much difference.

I think that how far you are from the airport is a lot more significant than whether you are on the east coast or the west coast.

Irvine, CA is only about 45 miles from LAX.

Richmond, VA is 120 miles from IAD.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 10:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065

I think I'd take 120 miles over dealing with LAX

I'd definitely take that over Logon, Boston
Old Mar 25th 2011, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Rentals along in Irvine will cost more than 4k more than in Richmond.

Even if you don't consider weather to make a difference, Irvine is dry and Richmond is wet and humid.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 3:20 pm
Banned

lunaUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mailkish
Hello,

I would like to get some advice over here.

I have an option of relocating either to Richmond, VA or Irvine, CA through my company.

Which one do you think I should choose?

- I'm married but no kids but my wife and I have planned to start a family soon.

- Also on the salary, I have been offered a package of 80,000 dollars in Richmond and 84,000 dollars in Irvine (both per annum).

I'm very well aware of the climatic conditions in both the locations and this will NOT play any part in our relocation.

Please help me choose! Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks!
If your Spanish isn't that great I'd choose VA. Plus there are lots of towns/cities named after UK towns/cities which helps when you are homesick!
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:19 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Richmond VA without a doubt I go to Irvine every month on business and its not very desirable I would not live there even if I was offered free housing, the plus side to VA is also you can get back to the UK quicker and cheaper rather then traveling from one side of the US to the other.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Infowarrior will become famous soon enough

I really think that is a myth - there are plenty of direct flights to the UK from the west coast and considering the total door to door travel time to get from the US to the UK the difference in flight times doesn't make much difference.
Not sure I agree there, I find 8 hours to be far more 'doable' than the 13 hours to SFO that I've done direct several times. I find I am crawling up the walls about the time you hit Canada on the way over. I'd never realised how large the USA is until the first time I flew over it.

PS: I notice you are in Santa Cruz, that's where we're moving to! Is there much of an expat community in SC?
Old Mar 26th 2011, 9:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Richmond VA without a doubt I go to Irvine every month on business and its not very desirable I would not live there even if I was offered free housing, the plus side to VA is also you can get back to the UK quicker and cheaper rather then traveling from one side of the US to the other.
Not sure about quicker because I'm pretty sure there is no direct flight between VA and the UK.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Infowarrior
Not sure I agree there, I find 8 hours to be far more 'doable' than the 13 hours to SFO that I've done direct several times.
Yes, it depends on your tolerance for long flights. For me the flight time doesn't matter as much as minimizing the hassles at the airports at either end.

I do agree that 13 hours is a bit much but LHR -> SFO is only 11 hours.

PS: I notice you are in Santa Cruz, that's where we're moving to! Is there much of an expat community in SC?
Not that I am aware of - I can think of 3 or 4 other Brits here but, like me, they have been here for a long time and don't really think of themselves as "expats" except, if at all, in the past tense ...

Send me a PM if you want to know more about the place.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 8:00 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Not sure about quicker because I'm pretty sure there is no direct flight between VA and the UK.
Virgin-Atlantic fly out of Dulles daily direct to LHR, its a 7hrs flight compared to 10-11hrs from the west coast.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 8:06 pm
Happy with my lot For now

anne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to all

Hello,

I have an option of relocating either to Richmond, VA or Irvine, CA through my company.

- I'm married but no kids but my wife and I have planned to start a family soon.

- Also on the salary, I have been offered a package of 80,000 dollars in Richmond and 84,000 dollars in Irvine (both per annum).

I'm very well aware of the climatic conditions in both the locations and this will NOT play any part in our relocation.

Thanks!
We live 24 miles south of Richmond and although it would work out more cost affective living in Virginia I think you should also consider your out of work social life. I have posted in another thread how I find Virginians an unfriendly lot. We have not found much to do here and envy our friends who live in warmer climates that offer year round outdoor activities, after all work is not everything!! This is just my personal opinion. I dont know anything about Irvine and hope you here from someone with more insight on that location. We are looking to be out of here as soon as possible GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CHOICE.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

http://www2.richmond.com/visit-richm...over-richmond/

My son visits friends in Richmond who went to/are going to VCU (Final Four VCU) and loves to go to Belle Isle. He also goes to lots of concerts in Richmond which are priced with the college students in mind. You're also fairly close to everything DC has to offer and the Outer Banks of NC. Virginia even has a few ski resorts and the mountains are beautiful.
http://www.thenationalva.com/index.php
http://richmond.citysearch.com/profi...wling_llc.html
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:15 pm
Saxon

TerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really nice

Richmond has its own airport, so you can get connecting flights to Charlotte, New York, or even Dulles, and that avoids the 2hr drive up to IAD.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

$80,000 in Richmond, VA will go much much much MUCH farther than in Irvine. We looked at Irvine, CA and Houston, TX - my husband's company offered a choice. And a salary more than double, and still Irvine, CA came in as not affordable due to housing. He did not want to commute hours to work so we could afford a home that wasn't on a postage stamp or attached in any way.

Virginia has a whole different laid back atmosphere and reasonable weather. I'd say quality of life is better! If we had Richmond, VA or Houston, TX to choose, I'd have picked Richmond.

As well, being on the east coast is an easier trek back to UK. Remember, LA to NYC is about 4 or more hours!
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Yorkie_in_SD is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Thanks!
I've been living in Irvine for eight years, first working at UC Irvine, now at UC San Diego. It is a master-planned community and as mentioned earlier, has a lot of parks, playgrounds, trails etc. all radiating around UC Irvine. Having had two kids here (both under 5-yo), it's quite kid-friendly. As places go, it's quite pretty but draws complaints of being on the dull side... Most apartment communities are owned by the Irvine Company and rent is very high (google median rent and Irvine)... You also need a car to get around as even though relatively bike-friendly, everything is broadly distributed and there is no "downtown" to speak of. Public transit is also very poor.

There is an Amtrak station but 20 mins drive from the central university district - trains to San Diego and LA are every hour. John Wayne (SNA) airport in Santa Ana is also only a 10 min or so drive from the university area while LAX is about a 45 min drive in fair traffic. The beaches (Newport and Laguna) are only a 15-20 min drive away and as mentioned, Disneyland in Anaheim is about 30 mins away.

If you'd like any more info, then please let me know!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.