British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Please help me choose b/w Irvine, CA & Richmond, VA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/please-help-me-choose-b-w-irvine-ca-richmond-va-710795/)

mailkish Mar 25th 2011 7:22 am

Please help me choose b/w Irvine, CA & Richmond, VA

Hello,

I would like to get some advice over here.

I have an option of relocating either to Richmond, VA or Irvine, CA through my company.

Which one do you think I should choose?

- I'm married but no kids but my wife and I have planned to start a family soon.

- Also on the salary, I have been offered a package of 80,000 dollars in Richmond and 84,000 dollars in Irvine (both per annum).

I'm very well aware of the climatic conditions in both the locations and this will NOT play any part in our relocation.

Please help me choose! Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

tonrob Mar 25th 2011 11:08 am

Re: Please help me choose b/w Irvine, CA & Richmond, VA

Originally Posted by mailkish (Post 9263667)
Hello,

I have an option of relocating either to Richmond, VA or Irvine, CA through my company.

- I'm married but no kids but my wife and I have planned to start a family soon.

- Also on the salary, I have been offered a package of 80,000 dollars in Richmond and 84,000 dollars in Irvine (both per annum).

I'm very well aware of the climatic conditions in both the locations and this will NOT play any part in our relocation.

Thanks!

Never been to Irvine, but have stopped in Richmond for an afternoon/evening twice while on road trips. Get the impression that it's trying to regain some former glory. I stayed right downtown both times, and would say that it looks nice enough but dead and soul-less in the evening and just a tad scary through it's dark corners and emptiness (and I don't scare easily in cities). Nice brewpub though.

No idea what the burbs are like, or what there is to do in the surrounding countryside. Not a deeply-researched opinion but one I have nonetheless so thought I'd share.

bibliobabe Mar 25th 2011 11:57 am

my aunt has lived in Irvine for 20 + years, and it's a great place! it's one of the largest planned communities in the US (or it was at the time constructed) so it's very walkable, outdoorsy, lots of bike paths and parks, lakes and walking to shops. there's a university there, there are people of all ages. especially if you wouldn't have to commute to LA i would recommend it! from what i have seen over the years, a very international community and a cool vibe. close enough to LA you can go if you want, but everything you need is there in Orange County.

and did I mention DISNEYLAND!?! I know no kids yet, but we just took our kids and wanted to stay late for us! Keep us posted... :thumbsup:

ian-mstm Mar 25th 2011 1:03 pm

Also on the salary, I have been offered a package of 80,000 dollars in Richmond and 84,000 dollars in Irvine (both per annum).

As a practical matter, $80k in Richmond will go farther than $84K in Irvine.

Ian

bibliobabe Mar 25th 2011 1:18 pm

yes, i do agree that cost of living in CA is more than just $4k increase. however - with no kids, ?? Could you maybe ask you employer if you could chat w/ an employee in a similar position in each location? plus that would give you a feel of the corporate culture in each office; a big factor.

Jerseygirl Mar 25th 2011 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by bibliobabe (Post 9263986)
yes, i do agree that cost of living in CA is more than just $4k increase. however - with no kids, ?? Could you maybe ask you employer if you could chat w/ an employee in a similar position in each location? plus that would give you a feel of the corporate culture in each office; a big factor.

The OP said 'my wife and I have planned to start a family soon'. So that would be costly...I won't even go into the cost of giving birth here.

bibliobabe Mar 25th 2011 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9264013)
The OP said 'my wife and I have planned to start a family soon'. So that would be costly...I won't even go into the cost of giving birth here.

Truly depends on the health insurance plan - I have had 2 kids here, BCBS or Humana are cadillac policies and my cost was virtually nil out of pocket for the whole pregnancy & birth. Just one office visit copay for all prenatal Cigna- the less great policy was ~1200 total. still expensive vs. UK, but that's not what we're comparing! Sunk cost as it were if OP is committed to moving stateside.

besides, cost would probably be similar for the medical in both places. if it's a national comapny w/ locations in multiple states, hopefully they have a good plan.

ottotheboar Mar 25th 2011 4:06 pm

We have lived about 55 miles west of Richmond for the last 18 years, most of the growth has been to to the west of the city. Not many people live downtown, there a lots of areas such as Glen Allen, Woodlake, Short Pump to name but a few which are are short drive into the city. We had four children born here had no issues with the treatment from the insurance companies or hospitals. Not sure if there is a huge Brit community in Richmond over the last 18 years I have probably met 6 Brits locally. If you are planning a long term stay check the schools as they do vary in standard, our local schools are amongst the worst in the State. If you are an outdoors person lots to do within an hours drive. The area does not seem as congested as other places, my wife is from Milford Ct and I would much prefer living in Va to there.

Sally Redux Mar 25th 2011 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9263963)
As a practical matter, $80k in Richmond will go farther than $84K in Irvine.

Ian

This should certainly be a consideration. It appears the OP is currently in St Louis on $72,000, so a pay rise is being offered, but it is pricey in southern California. Sorry I don't know Irvine though.

sean3636 Mar 25th 2011 6:11 pm

Hello,

Thanks!

CA is going bankrupt so unless you enjoy giving a ton of your hard earned cash to the people who know best how to spend your money(NOT), I would live in VA

mailkish Mar 25th 2011 6:20 pm

Thanks a lot to every one for all that information you have provided. Yes I'm currently in St Louis and if I relocate there is a definite pay hike I'm gonna get. My company has even offered me to help with the movement of goods. So this move is going to cost me next to nothing. They even gonna pay me the lease breakage allowance to break the current lease for my apt in St Louis.

So all I'm worried is to choose the right location and I shouldn't have any regrets later with my decision!!

Thanks!!

Sally Redux Mar 25th 2011 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by mailkish (Post 9264464)
Thanks a lot to every one for all that information you have provided. Yes I'm currently in St Louis and if I relocate there is a definite pay hike I'm gonna get. My company has even offered me to help with the movement of goods. So this move is going to cost me next to nothing. They even gonna pay me the lease breakage allowance to break the current lease for my apt in St Louis.

So all I'm worried is to choose the right location and I shouldn't have any regrets later with my decision!!

Thanks!!

Have you visited the two locations? Some of it will be a gut feeling about what suits you.

meauxna Mar 25th 2011 7:06 pm

So what will?
Seriously, all you have told us is that you don't have kids but you might in the future and the weather has no bearing on your choice.

"So all I'm worried is to choose the right location and I shouldn't have any regrets later with my decision!!"

But you give no information here as to what makes the 'right' location for you.

Flip a coin?

Bob Mar 25th 2011 8:39 pm

city-data.com and visit both places...

But you don't really say much for anyone to give informed info...what kind of life style are you looking for? Do you like eating out, theatre, sports, other recreational stuff?

Is the other half about to work? What other costs are the company covering?

Just based on the salary alone, I'd probably not look to CA, especially if there's only one salary earner and a family on the horizon.

avanutria Mar 25th 2011 8:41 pm

Are you going to be making regular trips back to the UK? A lot easier to do that from the east coast than the west.