Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

please help-costs of living in usa

please help-costs of living in usa

Old May 12th 2005, 1:21 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: please help-costs of living in usa

Originally Posted by Wintersong
But it is new! Maybe it was just the cheapest one my husband could find! Are you telling me this isn't normal for humidifiers?
maybe it broke when it fell off the back of that lorry............

Old May 12th 2005, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

clutzuk has a brilliant futureclutzuk has a brilliant futureclutzuk has a brilliant futureclutzuk has a brilliant futureclutzuk has a brilliant futureclutzuk has a brilliant futureclutzuk has a brilliant future

hehe-you guys all make me laugh- honey mommy-very useful and funny tips hehe!

THank you to all of you for replying. I am going to be studying-and I can not work so every penny I have has to be well spent! I guess unfortunately being Scottish means I am not used to heat so I will probably melt instantly so looks like AC is a neccessity!

But I will keep in mind all the tips about which floor to live on, humidifiers etc.

Seriously- nearly only 6 wks to go and I am freaking-i have done a lot of research but still don't know everything so if you guys dont mind I might be back with more questions?!

have a nice day everyone
Hannah

ps did you here about the apparent "heatwave"hitting the uk in July/August! At least in America there is the option of air con huh!!!!
Old May 12th 2005, 2:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clutzuk
h

ps did you here about the apparent "heatwave"hitting the uk in July/August! At least in America there is the option of air con huh!!!!
that's what shopping centres are for...do your exercise in a nice cooled environment, and you ain't paying the bill
Old May 12th 2005, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

only 6 wks to go and I am freaking
where ya gonna be staying exactly?.. and studying what?
Old May 12th 2005, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

hehe-you guys all make me laugh- honey mommy-very useful and funny tips hehe!

THank you to all of you for replying. I am going to be studying-and I can not work so every penny I have has to be well spent! I guess unfortunately being Scottish means I am not used to heat so I will probably melt instantly so looks like AC is a neccessity!

But I will keep in mind all the tips about which floor to live on, humidifiers etc.

Seriously- nearly only 6 wks to go and I am freaking-i have done a lot of research but still don't know everything so if you guys dont mind I might be back with more questions?!

have a nice day everyone
Hannah

Oh you have it made then....... If you are studying, just hit the campus library. Nice and cool, and a quiet atmostphere to study. If you fancy chatting with friends then it's the local coffee shop and their A/C or anywhere cool around campus. The evening is the mall, and maybe a movie if you can afford it.
Soooooo... Other than that, naked at home with a spray bottle of cold water, and the curtains closed.....

I must say I am hoping for a heat wave here. I am as white a a ghost, I am allways cold, and haven't had feeling in my feet since last July at LAX airport..... Plus I am having a fashion crisis.... Is there a fashion here in the UK????
Old May 13th 2005, 9:28 am
Just Joined

clutzuk has a brilliant futureclutzuk has a brilliant futureclutzuk has a brilliant futureclutzuk has a brilliant futureclutzuk has a brilliant futureclutzuk has a brilliant futureclutzuk has a brilliant future

Hi ,

I am going to study acting at the Strasberg Institute- and before you all roll your eyes - don't worry I am not a drama queen or wannabe hehe!!!!

Honeymommy-yeah it's a small school I don't know what they have in way of library etc but il be living anywhere in that place that's cool hehe! And as for fashion in the UK-yeah well- I kind of gave up paying attention a long time when I realised there was no hope for us! Got to hand it to the US-the clothes are fab- and cheaper!!!!

And there lies catch 22-spend all day in a shopping centre coz it's not expensive to run it at home then end up spending money on nice clothes hehe!

but I am excited to get there and face all the challenges. and of course to walk around my aprtmnet naked !!!!!
Old May 13th 2005, 2:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...I kind of gave up paying attention a long time when I realised there was no hope for us! Got to hand it to the US-the clothes are fab- and cheaper!!!!
you say that...but a lot of the clothes are shite, and anything half decent isn't that cheap....nothing in the middle like River Island, Next, ****, Top Shop, Oasis....It's either real cheap and poorly made, or pretty expensive and poorly made, or expensive designer gear...maybe they just send all the shite made stuff to maine, but Gap, Abercrombie...there all mostly shite.
Old May 13th 2005, 10:06 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
you say that...but a lot of the clothes are shite, and anything half decent isn't that cheap....nothing in the middle like River Island, Next, ****, Top Shop, Oasis....It's either real cheap and poorly made, or pretty expensive and poorly made, or expensive designer gear...maybe they just send all the shite made stuff to maine, but Gap, Abercrombie...there all mostly shite.
Hear hear.

Hate the clothes in US. Hate them, hate them, hate them.

Allow me to worship at the feet of the Next God. Bring Next over here. They gave us Gap, after all
Old May 15th 2005, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

I must have been an American in a past life because I just adore the people and the places I have been there and the clothes-well I think the clothes are fab- TJMAXX_ the uk one being TKMAX rocks big time-good clothes and cheap prices AND- the clothes sizes go down in america so it is always a confidence swing to be wearing clothes that "say " they are smaller than the UK hehe

Six weeks minus one day to go woo hoo!!!!!!!
Old May 15th 2005, 7:52 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I must have been an American in a past life because I just adore the people AND- the clothes sizes go down in america so it is always a confidence swing to be wearing clothes that "say " they are smaller than the UK hehe
Yeah, we found we had to size them that way because most Americans can't count past 14....