Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

please help-costs of living in usa

Wikiposts

please help-costs of living in usa

Old May 10th 2005, 4:03 am
Just Joined

clutzuk has a brilliant futureclutzuk has a brilliant futureclutzuk has a brilliant futureclutzuk has a brilliant futureclutzuk has a brilliant futureclutzuk has a brilliant futureclutzuk has a brilliant future
Default please help-costs of living in usa

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone can advise me roughly how much my utility bills could be in LA? I am moving there to study and would like a rough idea how much bills would be monthly in a 2 bedroom place-especially electricity with the air con!

Thank you so much for your help-all input is welcome!

Hannah
Old May 10th 2005, 4:44 am
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: please help-costs of living in usa

Get yourself a Punka Wallah, cheaper in the long term.
Old May 10th 2005, 4:53 am
Just Joined

jockf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clutzuk
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone can advise me roughly how much my utility bills could be in LA? I am moving there to study and would like a rough idea how much bills would be monthly in a 2 bedroom place-especially electricity with the air con!

Hannah

I pay around about $70 a month for my utilitys. You need to see whats included with your rent as well. My gas is included so I dont pay for hot water so that keeps the cost down!!
Old May 10th 2005, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clutzuk
Hi there,

Hannah

been in LA for almost a year, we live in a pretty big house but last year our electricity was outragous, from June to October, it was at least $250 a month, Septembers was $400 but I'm at home all day and we do have a pool filter on as well..we've just had a device fitted to our air conditioner that will turn it off for short periods of time during periods of heavy demand, the electricity company will give you a $200 a year discount for doing it, might be worth looking into..
Gas isn't too bad, avaerage about $60 a month so yours shouldn't be too bad, water is about $100 a month but again we have a pool and a fish pond to fill and 2 kids so yours should be much less..

Last edited by woodsey; May 10th 2005 at 6:32 am.
Old May 10th 2005, 8:29 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Just a point - you don't actually have to use air con, even if it's installed in your house (Shock! Horror!). I don't turn it on at all unless it gets extremely hot inside the house (which, in this area of Ca is quite rare - and yes, I did spend the whole of last summer here). I open windows instead.

Not only do you save a lot of money on the bills but you also do your bit towards helping save the environment, with the added bonuses of a) lots of fresh air in your house, b) your skin doesn't dry out and c) you don't wake up with dry, itchy eyes every morning.

I guess it depends on where you are moving to - obviously a lot of places are a lot hotter than San Francisco Bay area, but my advice would be only use it when you absolutely have to.
Old May 10th 2005, 9:13 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Just a point - you don't actually have to use air con, even if it's installed in your house (Shock! Horror!). I don't turn it on at all unless it gets extremely hot inside the house (which, in this area of Ca is quite rare - and yes, I did spend the whole of last summer here). I open windows instead.

Not only do you save a lot of money on the bills but you also do your bit towards helping save the environment, with the added bonuses of a) lots of fresh air in your house, b) your skin doesn't dry out and c) you don't wake up with dry, itchy eyes every morning.

I guess it depends on where you are moving to - obviously a lot of places are a lot hotter than San Francisco Bay area, but my advice would be only use it when you absolutely have to.
Which would be almost 24/7 down here.

Old May 10th 2005, 10:16 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Which would be almost 24/7 down here.
Where are you?
Old May 10th 2005, 10:23 am
ImHere

Where are you?
South Florida, about 40 miles north of Miami, the land that winter forgot....a Sub-tropical festival of heat, humidity, creepie-crawlies and Alligators. No AC means a stinking, sweating hell very quickly.

Old May 10th 2005, 10:31 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Originally Posted by ImHere
South Florida, about 40 miles north of Miami, the land that winter forgot....a Sub-tropical festival of heat, humidity, creepie-crawlies and Alligators. No AC means a stinking, sweating hell very quickly.
Lol, it was Florida I was thinking of when I said it depends where you're moving to.

I hate humidity
Old May 10th 2005, 10:38 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jockf
I pay around about $70 a month for my utilitys. You need to see whats included with your rent as well. My gas is included so I dont pay for hot water so that keeps the cost down!!
The date of construction of your apartment also will influence the bills as newer places will be more energy efficient. Avoid the top floor of a multi-storey apartment -- a middle storey is more ideal since it is less prone to break-in than a ground floor apartment.

In a place with low humidity, as LA has, you can use evaporative cooling and that may help, as will ceiling fans.

If your heat is all-electric as is common with newer apartments, that means that your heater, hot water and oven/range will all run on electricity -- this is less efficient than natural gas and will drive up your electrical bills.
Old May 10th 2005, 11:00 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you turn off the gas whilst turning the bacon over.??

Old May 10th 2005, 11:31 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Just a point - you don't actually have to use air con, even if it's installed in your house (Shock! Horror!).
:scared: If you live in the South the A/C is a MUST have from about May til possibly days in October!!

It's the heat and the humidity that kills ya...it's expensive but unfortunately....worth every penny!!!!
Old May 10th 2005, 11:41 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

a) lots of fresh air in your house
you are making the huge assumption that the air outside is fresh - we live in LA
Old May 10th 2005, 11:48 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Originally Posted by evoal2003
Do you turn off the gas whilst turning the bacon over.??

Do you take your life in your hands by eating the bacon over here?!!

Old May 10th 2005, 12:42 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Do you take your life in your hands by eating the bacon over here?!!

You get used to it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.