Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Please Help!!

Please Help!!

Old Dec 10th 2003, 3:16 am
Just Joined

nikkik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please Help!!

I have a British fiance and have been trying to get over there, without much luck. I've been deported twice, and can no longer go to England without some kind of visa. So I am now working on getting my fiance over here. I need some kind of visa that will allow him to work here, but he has no degree or special qualifications. We arent planning on getting married in 90 days, so the fiance visa isn't the right way to go. If anyone out there has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!! thanks a lot
~nikki~
Old Dec 10th 2003, 3:25 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please Help!!

Ask Santa to bring you a visa, otherwise you are screwed!

Truely the only way to get him here is to marry him (K1 visa) I think every other avenue is closed to you right now.

Patrick

Originally posted by nikkik
I have a British fiance and have been trying to get over there, without much luck. I've been deported twice, and can no longer go to England without some kind of visa. So I am now working on getting my fiance over here. I need some kind of visa that will allow him to work here, but he has no degree or special qualifications. We arent planning on getting married in 90 days, so the fiance visa isn't the right way to go. If anyone out there has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!! thanks a lot
~nikki~
Old Dec 10th 2003, 3:54 am
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Yup wedding bells it is - Patrick and I will come.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 1:04 pm
ScarlettHill

Originally posted by scotch03
Yup wedding bells it is - Patrick and I will come.
The more I read this, the more worried I become about both of you!!!

Old Dec 10th 2003, 8:58 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ScarlettHill
The more I read this, the more worried I become about both of you!!!

Cafe Mochachino latte with whipped cream please
Old Dec 10th 2003, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Get him over on a K1.. have a quicky 'court house' wedding within the 90 days then have an offical ceremony (blessing) later. That is the quickest way you will likely be able to do it.

Ash
Old Dec 11th 2003, 12:02 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please Help!!

Originally posted by nikkik ..... If anyone out there has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!! thanks a lot.
Like Patrick said, in his own unique way, there aren't really any alternatives for your fiancé. Here is my usual advice, giving the options, but none, so far as I can see fit your fiancé's situation.

========================================

There are basically six ways (seven if you have a close relative who is a USC and is willing to sponsor you) that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

(i) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.
(ii) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. IT, scientific or medical training. (The list of qualifying occupations is actually quite long, but visas are very limited for 2004 going forward, making it a difficult route to follow, and you have to have the backing of an employer, which isn't easy as employers are likely to take a local employee before going to the trouble and expense of helping an immigrant obtain a visa.)
(iii) You have an employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (ii), above.
(iv) get a green card in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland are not eligible)
(v) You own a business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no green card, likely minimum investment $100,000)
(vi) You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US$1m in assets to bring with you.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 12th 2003 at 2:32 am.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 1:01 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Ash UK/US
Get him over on a K1.. have a quicky 'court house' wedding within the 90 days then have an offical ceremony (blessing) later. That is the quickest way you will likely be able to do it.

Ash

Yeah Ash.... then 40 weeks later you'll be begging to be induced! :::giggle:::
Old Dec 12th 2003, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I were in a similar situation to you guys...

My Wife, a New Yorker, was in England on a student visa. I have no degree and nothing that would be regarded as special circumstances existed (as listed by Pulaski)...

We had intended to get married about two years later, but when we found out that Megan (the wife) would not be able to stay with me (in UK or USA) without her being a doctor/professor or me being similar I bit the bullet and asked her to marry me that night... Crisis brings out the best in a person!!

We had done the long distance relationship during years at University (failed)... But having lived together for six months it is a bit difficult to go back to the long distance thing!!!

My best advise (having been in the similar situation)... Get married or get used to seeing each other for two weeks once every six months and having large phone bills (£600 a quarter was my record)!!... Simple as that!!
Old Dec 12th 2003, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
Yeah Ash.... then 40 weeks later you'll be begging to be induced! :::giggle:::
it was a little longer than 40 weeks... but still sooner than we wanted.

Ash
Old Dec 13th 2003, 2:18 am
Just Joined

nikkik is an unknown quantity at this point

well we have been "together" for 3 years now...actually only being in the same country as each other for one year of that. i've got you beat on the phone bill...$4,000.00!! i think we are going to try to get him over here on a student visa, as he wants to finish school, and then get married after that...fingers crossed! thanks to everyone for all the replies!!
~nikki~