Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question for you girls

Question for you girls

Old Dec 10th 2003, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question for you girls

Any tips for triggering labour? I am now 40 weeks and tired of being pregant... it time for baby to see the world... only thing is it seems very comfy in there and is not showing any signs of wanting out.

Any advice?

Ash
Old Dec 10th 2003, 8:56 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Cool

Sex.

Apparently semen can trigger off labour....but you might want to have a bath before turning up at the hospital! LOL

What worked for me was taking a few sips of castor oil (with orange juice).

Not sure if raspberry tea has the same effect but I'm sure I heard somewhere that it can start off labour.

Good luck!
Old Dec 10th 2003, 8:56 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for you girls

Originally posted by Ash UK/US
Any tips for triggering labour? I am now 40 weeks and tired of being pregant... it time for baby to see the world... only thing is it seems very comfy in there and is not showing any signs of wanting out.

Any advice?

Ash
1. Eat Mexican (or other spicy) food
2. Have sex
Old Dec 10th 2003, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for you girls

Originally posted by Patrick
1. Eat Mexican (or other spicy) food
2. Have sex
I can't eat real spicy food (mild curry is my limit) but I am eating it as hot as I dare.

Well as for the sex we have tried that and are still trying it

Ash
Old Dec 10th 2003, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Englishmum
Sex.

Apparently semen can trigger off labour....but you might want to have a bath before turning up at the hospital! LOL

What worked for me was taking a few sips of castor oil (with orange juice).

Not sure if raspberry tea has the same effect but I'm sure I heard somewhere that it can start off labour.

Good luck!
Castor Oil is one of the things that doctors really advice against because it can cause the baby to have a bowel movement during labour which is not good.

Ash
Old Dec 10th 2003, 9:19 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

I remember being told Raspberry leaf tea is good (if you can get hold of the stuff) I was advised the only time it is safe to have the stuff is at term due to it's potency to induce labour. Never tried it myself though. The thing which did it for me was a trip to the hospital for a check up. Both pregnancies, I ended up back at the hospital the same evening after my check up.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Well, three of our four did not want to make an appearance. Our first was three weeks late, back when they let you go that far. Number two had no intentions of coming out so in sheer desperation nine days late I mixed up the oil and orange juice.

I have to warn you it was hideous, you have to mix it and swallow it down really quickly because it seperates. I had to hold my nose and just drink, it was foul.

It makes you burp, and every time you do you have to stop yourself from being sick. However, and I have no proof that it actually worked, I did go into labour that night. The thing is, it works by stimulating your bowel which in turn irritates your womb, so you could just end up on the loo all night

Our third came out all of his own accord on his due date - I took raspberry leaf tea in tablet form for the last few weeks of pregnancy as it is supposed to tone your uterus. Again no proof this had anything to do with it.

Number four was 9 days late again, I did take the raspberry tea, I did lots of yoga squatting positions etc to try and encourage him to shift but he just came when he was ready

We tried the sex, repeatedly, it didn't work, I mean we pretty much tried every old wives tale we heard about - massaging your nipples is supposed to trigger it as well. (in theory triggering the release of hormones)

I would say, bumpy car rides, squatting positions, walking, anything that enables your babies head to get into the right position, at the end of the day, he or she will come out when they feel like it

Good Luck though, it's a pretty exciting time, waiting to meet your baby. Let us know how it goes
Old Dec 10th 2003, 10:40 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is 38 1/2 weeks just now and we're trying similar methods to the above. Another thing you might try is eating eggplant (aka aubergine), a friend's mother swears by this for inducing labour. I had some of my wife's eggplant pasta the other night and I was swearing too, it's disgusting! Hmm, not much of a recommendation for you there.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 11:16 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Friends of mine had me bump down the stairs on me bum.... and that did nothing, same effect with jumping up and down!

My doctor told me this cpuld have been dangerous because it can detach the placenta or something.

Put your feet up and sleep... you'll wish you had any day now!
Old Dec 11th 2003, 12:03 am
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all

Castor Oil definitely does work, but, as mentioned before, there are some concerns about bowel movements
Old Dec 11th 2003, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the suggestions... I feel like I am destined to be pregnant forever

Maybe a good long trek around the mall tomorrow will help

Ash
Old Dec 11th 2003, 12:36 pm
ScarlettHill

My first was 2 weeks late and I thought she was never coming out. When I did finally go into labor it went on for a day and a half! Wasn't having that nonsense for my second - I walked the hills for hours, went into labor, went to the pictures (12 Monkeys) and got to the hospital 8cm dilated and out of my mind. She was out in 50 minutes. I remember my then husband and the midwife hauling me onto a bed and he was yelling, 'get her knickers off!!' All I could think was, 'For god's sake, man, not NOW!' Too far gone with pain at the time to realise he was worried Lizzy was going to be shoot into my undies and then boomerang back inside!!!

I am pleased to report that despite all the balderdash about nothing more than sips of water during labor, it is actually possible to eat popcorn between contractions. Those cinema seats are not too comfortable, though, and there's a distinct lack of gas and air in those places. Never did really understand that film, either.....

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Old Dec 11th 2003, 12:44 pm

Originally posted by Ash UK/US
Thanks for the suggestions... I feel like I am destined to be pregnant forever

Maybe a good long trek around the mall tomorrow will help

Ash

That should do it... I had contractions in the lift after bringing my daughter to get her ears pierced at the mall. She screamed so loud I think everyone in the mall that day felt them too!

(they only did one ear and I had to take it back out immediatly) Her idea not mine!

Ash, plan the day really well and get al;l excited about going shopping and you'll be sure to have the baby before you can get your coat on.... sod's law it is!
Old Dec 11th 2003, 12:52 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I am surprised no one mentioned a c-section. Worked a treat from my sister. she was having twins, the little bleeders came out sharpish and no mistake.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 12:59 pm

Originally posted by manc1976
I am surprised no one mentioned a c-section. Worked a treat from my sister. she was having twins, the little bleeders came out sharpish and no mistake.

You don't get to opt for a C-Section unless medically necessary!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.