Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Please excuse my Noobiness.....

Please excuse my Noobiness.....

Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:56 am
LAL
Mad Geordie Spaniard

LAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Please excuse my Noobiness.....

Thank you all very much
Old Mar 28th 2008, 8:40 am
An Unknown Yank Fraction

Phychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please excuse my Noobiness.....

Originally Posted by LAL
Hello,
I normally lurk in the background but I missed this post completely until now due to work commitments.

I hope you all had a wonderful easter!!!
Too many cadbury's eggs for me !! And I'm already a bit lardy!!!

Any way, your situation is very similar to that of my husbands, hubby - born in 1974 to US Serviceman abroad and foreign mother, he is a US Citizen he has never lived in US just visited for extended periods infact has a geordie accent!!

Fat Brit got it spot on, you need your birth certificate, your parents marriage certificate and your dad's birthcertificate (this is not essential but does prove US Citienship and can come in handy - you can order this online from Vital Statistics Illinois - Hubby's father was born in Illinois and we ordered a copy of his birth certificate it took about 3 weeks), proof / affidavit of physical presence in US ie that your dad resided in US for 10 years (5years after 14) I think that's correct for your DOB, I think it was around 1985 when it changed to 5 years..Also any time spent abroad in the US Armed forces counts as physical presence in US.

You cannot use the VWP because you are a US Citizen by birth...
If you were born abroad AND do not have a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certificate of Birth on file, you will need:

1. If you claim citizenship through birth abroad to one U.S. citizen parent:

* Foreign birth certificate,
* Proof of citizenship of your U.S. citizen parent, AND
* An affidavit of your U.S. citizen parent showing all periods and places of residence or physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth.
info taken from here http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...first_830.html

You should be able to apply in London .

Your children may be eligible for Expeditious US Citizensip also via your dad's physical presence - 5 years for them 2 years after age 14. for your kids you would use the N-600k form, for yourself you should just apply for a US passport you will need a US Citizen or permanent US resident to sign your application someone who has known you more than 2 years (like your dad , uncle, cousin, etc), you shouldn't have too many problems and if you apply now you should have your US Passport in time for going to US in June.

Hope this helps and lucky you if not you would have had to apply for waiver.

LAL
Lal, Thanks for the info it's always better to here these things from someone who has been though the process themselves

Meauxua, I have nothing against working immigrants, in fact, I actively encourage it. BUT when you see people who come across sometimes 5 countries to claim asylum in the UK and your own countrymen are living in squalor, it kinda annoys you when you see the tax bill every month:curse:

Without wanting to cause a mass political debate I just feel that the UK is far too generous when it comes to giving handouts to enemployed families that could have settled in their neighbouring country, or the one over from that, or the one over.....you get the idea. On the flip side we were more than happy to send a Ghanian woman with cancer home because she'd outstayed her visa, knowing that her home country could not give her the treatment she needed meaning that she would die (In fact it would seem the BBC don't care either as the story has dissappeared from their pages!)
Old Mar 28th 2008, 8:41 am
An Unknown Yank Fraction

Phychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I forgave him as he neither expressed a wish to reside in Florida nor mentioned the Poles stealing the fish out of the canals.
Seems the Swan population turn a hit aswell!
Old Mar 28th 2008, 9:15 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

And if you search the forums, there's plenty of advice from dual cits on how to flip passports mid pond.
Do you have the Cliff Notes for this?

I forgave him as he neither expressed a wish to reside in Florida nor mentioned the Poles stealing the fish out of the canals.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 2:18 pm
An Unknown Yank Fraction

Okay.....on a quick look through you only get the passport off the Consulate. You can order a Certificate of Citizenship off USCIS later......but only if you're resident in the States. However, a passport should suffice provided you keep it current. It's ten years like the UK one -- don't let it expire for more than 5 years (i.e. a total of fifteen years old), otherwise you may have to go through the proof again without the Certificate of Citizenship.
This would appear to mean the whole process could be expedited somewhat.
I have asked my Dad to obtain his birth certificate via the info given by Lal (Thanks) and he has booked an appointment for Monday to provide an affidavit stating his US residency as the other forms of evidence may well be difficult to get hold of due to the time that has lapsed, although his service records will be obtainable if required. I already have the Marriage certificate and my Birth Certificate so I shall go to the Consulate as soon as I have his Birth Certificate and see what happens
Old Mar 28th 2008, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phychlone
I have asked my Dad to obtain his birth certificate via the info given by Lal (Thanks) and he has booked an appointment for Monday to provide an affidavit stating his US residency as the other forms of evidence may well be difficult to get hold of due to the time that has lapsed, although his service records will be obtainable if required. I already have the Marriage certificate and my Birth Certificate so I shall go to the Consulate as soon as I have his Birth Certificate and see what happens
This is all excellent news.

Does your girlfriend know about any of this, or are you just going to appear at the airport with her, and check in as an American?
Old Mar 28th 2008, 2:51 pm
LAL
Mad Geordie Spaniard

LAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud ofLAL has much to be proud of

He should be able to get his high school records and there's normally a year book with some dodgy photos in, that if for nothing else would be very entertaining for you to look at!!!!
Old Mar 28th 2008, 3:08 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Like LAL said, I'd try to give them more proof of his required residence in the US. You can quickly find the school on the web and see if you can procure copies of his school records. Old photos that are obviously American will help, too.

Also, while you're at it and the family's catching up on paperwork, it's about time your old man sorted his out as well. He needs a U.S. passport and to apply for British citizenship as well. This site will help him out.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 5:55 pm
An Unknown Yank Fraction

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
This is all excellent news.

Does your girlfriend know about any of this, or are you just going to appear at the airport with her, and check in as an American?
She does know about the applying for citizenship as I have been on the phone loads, but she doesn't know the reason for it

I have been led to believe that when we do go though customs I will be "fast tracked" to the US citizen queue! I'll be sipping on a cool beer before she's even through

The Birth Certificate application HAS to be done via snail mail as the online applications can only be made for records after 1960, this is a bit of a bummer but unfortunately unavoidable. i should give me more time to get some other info anyway.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 9:48 pm
LAL
Mad Geordie Spaniard

Post Re: Please excuse my Noobiness.....

She does know about the applying for citizenship as I have been on the phone loads, but she doesn't know the reason for it

I have been led to believe that when we do go though customs I will be "fast tracked" to the US citizen queue! I'll be sipping on a cool beer before she's even through
That's the bain of my life, my other half always cackles at the size of the "alien" queue, but at least he has no excuse for not collecting all the luggage!!!! So there is one plus!!! Sometimes I make him stand in line with me

Are you looking at the correct site for the Birth Certificate? Cos the one I'm looking at goes back to 1799 even though they only started recording Births in Illinois in 1916

http://www.vitalchek.com/agency_loca...roviderid=3639

Hope this helps.

LAL
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:22 am
An Unknown Yank Fraction

Originally Posted by LAL
That's the bain of my life, my other half always cackles at the size of the "alien" queue, but at least he has no excuse for not collecting all the luggage!!!! So there is one plus!!! Sometimes I make him stand in line with me

Are you looking at the correct site for the Birth Certificate? Cos the one I'm looking at goes back to 1799 even though they only started recording Births in Illinois in 1916

http://www.vitalchek.com/agency_loca...roviderid=3639

Hope this helps.

LAL
It keeps coming up that we have exceeded the maximum number of attempts to confirm identity using the ssn so we have sent off the old fashioned way
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:39 am
LAL
Mad Geordie Spaniard

Post Re: Please excuse my Noobiness.....

Aha we never input a SSN, we don't have one for my hubby's father...

His parents divorced when he was 5. Hence the UK move, (his mom remarried), my hubby was born in Japan...very long story...

So our situation was probably a tad more complicated than yours...

Have you tried faxing them the info or giving them a ring to expedite things ?

As someone said before they are only too happy to help US Citizens.

Regards,

LAL
Old Mar 29th 2008, 2:10 am
An Unknown Yank Fraction

Originally Posted by LAL
Aha we never input a SSN, we don't have one for my hubby's father...

His parents divorced when he was 5. Hence the UK move, (his mom remarried), my hubby was born in Japan...very long story...

So our situation was probably a tad more complicated than yours...

Have you tried faxing them the info or giving them a ring to expedite things ?

As someone said before they are only too happy to help US Citizens.

Regards,

LAL
My Dad tried phoning the local courthouse but they said that it has to be done in writing (suprisingly not e-mail) so he's done it now but I'm sure he could have faxed the document provided when the online application fails. Oh well who am I to argue? I still feel confident that I will be able to get a US passport before the end of June, I just hope that I can still book something nice in New York for 3-7 July Thanks again Lal
Old Mar 29th 2008, 2:13 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

My Dad tried phoning the local courthouse but they said that it has to be done in writing (suprisingly not e-mail) so he's done it now but I'm sure he could have faxed the document provided when the online application fails. Oh well who am I to argue? I still feel confident that I will be able to get a US passport before the end of June, I just hope that I can still book something nice in New York for 3-7 July Thanks again Lal
Hey if you come then at least you'd get to see some fireworks
Old Mar 29th 2008, 2:20 am
LAL
Mad Geordie Spaniard

LOL yeah I had thought about that and then thought OMG he's looking for cheap flights around July 4th...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.