British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Please excuse my Noobiness..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/please-excuse-my-noobiness-524643/)

Phychlone Mar 26th 2008 7:04 pm

Please excuse my Noobiness.....

I am a 30 year old male who is hoping to take his missus to NYC and propose for her 30th Birthday, but......At the age of 17 I was sentenced to 6 months imprisonment for ABH. Since leaving prison I have been gainfully employer as an Insurance Broker and have never got into trouble since not even a speeding ticket (See, the criminal reform system DOES work...:rofl:).

I have read that the VWP does not apply if you have been arrested but does this still apply if I was a minor at the time?

If I am not eligible under the VWP then how do I go about applying for a visa via the cheapest method? And do the US authorities check juvenile records?;)

I thank you all in advance for any advice given.

PS: My Dad was a US serviceman that emmigrated to the U.K in 1970 but has not returned back since. Does this have any baring?

Ray Mar 26th 2008 7:24 pm

Re: Please excuse my Noobiness.....

Originally Posted by Phychlone (Post 6115264)
I am a 30 year old male who is hoping to take his missus to NYC and propose for her 30th Birthday, but......At the age of 17 I was sentenced to 6 months imprisonment for ABH. Since leaving prison I have been gainfully employer as an Insurance Broker and have never got into trouble since not even a speeding ticket (See, the criminal reform system DOES work...:rofl:).

I have read that the VWP does not apply if you have been arrested but does this still apply if I was a minor at the time?

If I am not eligible under the VWP then how do I go about applying for a visa via the cheapest method? And do the US authorities check juvenile records?;)

I thank you all in advance for any advice given.

PS: My Dad was a US serviceman that emmigrated to the U.K in 1970 but has not returned back since. Does this have any baring?

Assault Occasioning Actual Bodily Harm is probably a CIMT
the max sentence being 5 years ....7 if a racial attack

May be best to apply for a b-2 visa ...
do not book anything until you have it

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new...niv/apply.html

hobbes79 Mar 26th 2008 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Phychlone (Post 6115264)

Is your dad actually an American then? If so, you could perhaps get US citizenship through that... then won't have to worry about visas to go to the US... ever...

EDIT: Heck, you could LIVE there and get a greencard for your future wife!

Ray Mar 26th 2008 7:27 pm

Re dual nationality ..have a read of this site ..

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

Phychlone Mar 26th 2008 8:05 pm

OK so.......I have to apply for the Visa as opposed to entering under the VWP. Is this process quite labourious? I only have until Jun to get this sorted. I hadn't even thought about the convictions until I came to book the flights and the site (thankfully) redirected me to the US Embassy site, but little assistance was offered in connection with any queries (unless I wanted to call a premium rate number @ £1.20 per minute!):curse:

I was wondering what would would have happened had I have travelled under the VWP without reading the details and they had picked up on my convictions? A friend travelled to Australia without a visa and they just made her buy one at immigration.:thumbsup:

My father was a US citizen but has lost his passport (or rather the DVLA did:mad:) but he has not been back to the US since 1970 and he has never registered my birth there, I thought that I couldn't obtain dual nationality if I was over 18 years and had not been registered.

TBH I'm just looking for the cheapest and quickest way of entering the US to see the sights for 4 DAYS:eek: and it seems that some stupid incidents in my younger, wilder days will make this a complete nightmare of a process.

Ozzidoc Mar 26th 2008 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Phychlone (Post 6115514)
OK so.......I have to apply for the Visa as opposed to entering under the VWP. Is this process quite labourious? I only have until Jun to get this sorted. I hadn't even thought about the convictions until I came to book the flights and the site (thankfully) redirected me to the US Embassy site, but little assistance was offered in connection with any queries (unless I wanted to call a premium rate number @ £1.20 per minute!):curse:

I was wondering what would would have happened had I have travelled under the VWP without reading the details and they had picked up on my convictions? A friend travelled to Australia without a visa and they just made her buy one at immigration.:thumbsup:

My father was a US citizen but has lost his passport (or rather the DVLA did:mad:) but he has not been back to the US since 1970 and he has never registered my birth there, I thought that I couldn't obtain dual nationality if I was over 18 years and had not been registered.

TBH I'm just looking for the cheapest and quickest way of entering the US to see the sights for 4 DAYS:eek: and it seems that some stupid incidents in my younger, wilder days will make this a complete nightmare of a process.

PLEASE pretty please - look into the situation regarding getting a US passport!

Ray Mar 26th 2008 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 6115524)
PLEASE pretty please - look into the situation regarding getting a US passport!

But that may take years ...

Ray Mar 26th 2008 8:11 pm

If they knew of the conviction and you did not declare it on the visa waiver ... you would not be allowed to enter ..

and bang goes your chance for anything else ...

hobbes79 Mar 26th 2008 8:42 pm

Nit picking (and potenitally of little interest!), but your father is STILL American, no matter how long he's been away.

Oh, and not your fault at all... but you're going to make some people on this forum very jealous :D While you potentially have little to no interest in moving to the states, many who read this forum would exchange various body parts to have a have a legitimate claim to US citizenship :eek:

Good luck with the proposal... hope she says yes after all this effort ;)

Phychlone Mar 26th 2008 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by hobbes79 (Post 6115700)
Nit picking (and potenitally of little interest!), but your father is STILL American, no matter how long he's been away.

Oh, and not your fault at all... but you're going to make some people on this forum very jealous :D While you potentially have little to no interest in moving to the states, many who read this forum would exchange various body parts to have a have a legitimate claim to US citizenship :eek:

Good luck with the proposal... hope she says yes after all this effort ;)

I would look into the possiblity of emmigrating in the future but I'm rather more intrested in the here and now and getting a ring on the finger of my beloved at the top of the ESB (Cheesy I know:wub:)

The Holiday visa application (B1?) asks where I will be staying but I have not booked anything an I am extremely reluctant to do this until I know I will not be refused a visa.

Also, could anyone give an indication of the difficulties they have faced when making an application with previous convictions and the expected timeline for the process.

Thanks again to you all:thumbup:

Noorah101 Mar 26th 2008 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Phychlone (Post 6116123)
I would look into the possiblity of emmigrating in the future but I'm rather more intrested in the here and now and getting a ring on the finger of my beloved at the top of the ESB (Cheesy I know:wub:)

The Holiday visa application (B1?) asks where I will be staying but I have not booked anything an I am extremely reluctant to do this until I know I will not be refused a visa.

Also, could anyone give an indication of the difficulties they have faced when making an application with previous convictions and the expected timeline for the process.

Just wondering....is your girlfriend a US citizen, or is she coming with you from the UK?

Rene

fatbrit Mar 26th 2008 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Phychlone (Post 6116123)

I think you maybe a US citizen. And, of course, citizens can't apply for visas. Interesting dilemma for you.

hobbes79 Mar 26th 2008 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 6116162)
I think you maybe a US citizen. And, of course, citizens can't apply for visas. Interesting dilemma for you.

Also interesting... a US citizen has the RIGHT to enter the US, pretty much regardless of anything... hmm :blink:

Might be worth making an Infopass appt (or an appt for US citizens??) with the US Embassy in London, especially if you are reasonably close by anyway. Your situation is a tad unique...

Phychlone Mar 26th 2008 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 6116162)

Sorry?:confused: Surely not! Reading the linky provided by Ray (Thanks Ray) I see that until I REQUEST dual citizenship then I am classed as a UK national? If not sign me up for a passport so that I can go "Home" for a visit:eek:

fatbrit Mar 26th 2008 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Phychlone (Post 6116220)
Sorry?:confused: Surely not! Reading the linky provided by Ray (Thanks Ray) I see that until I REQUEST dual citizenship then I am classed as a UK national? If not sign me up for a passport so that I can go "Home" for a visit:eek:

Mostly will revolve whether him and your mam had tied the knot beforehand, I believe. So are you a bastard or not? I'm assuming from your age that you were born somewhere between December 24, 1952 and November 13, 1986.