Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Plasma TVs, what size transformer do I need?

Plasma TVs, what size transformer do I need?

Old Oct 25th 2011, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plasma TVs, what size transformer do I need?

Originally Posted by jabs1888uk
They are all relatively new plasma tvs all capable of receiving HDMI signals (or component) and operating at 50/60hz) I will only ever have them hooked to satellite or media player or PSR/wii, no co ax input required, so I should be good right?
Doesn't matter. Will cost a fortune to ship them since they are so heavy. Then have to mess with transformers, have no warranty etc. Then if you ever do need to use the tuners on any of them you are stuffed.

Just sell them and get new LCDs when you get here.

It's the only sensible course of action.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 1:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Sell or chuck them.

Seriously...they weigh a ton, so even if you aren't paying shipping, they're a ball ache to move about and transformers, good ones are expensive and they still tend to run warm if you're using them on a daily basis....plus they tend to be large and take up a lot of space, plus for venting.

TV's are cheap as chips here anyway, so get the company to stump for cost of white good replacements instead of the shipping of those white goods and you'd be much better off.

And insurance might be voided if your place burns down and they realise you've been running goods off a transformer.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
transformers, good ones are expensive and they still tend to run warm if you're using them on a daily basis
Key point. If you ignore the price you originally paid for them you would probably save money in the long run by selling them and buying new in the US, especially if you want a plasma.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

We moved from Uk to US in February this year. We had only recently purchased a top quality 3D LED tv in the UK when we discovered we would be moving, the tv was just 4 months old. Only doing some research we were advised to do as many people have said on here - to sell the items in the UK and repurchase here (even though the company relocation meant we were not personally forking out for the cost of shipping our domestic goods).

We managed the sell the TV, HD blu-ray player and the 3D glasses (the expensive "active" type) on Ebay for only a little less than we had paid 4 months previously and over here we were able to buy the same TV, blu ray and glasses etc except for the next series up and a 55" instead of the 48" for the money we sold the UK ones for! We did buy a variety of transformers for other items we took however and the transformers are surprisingly expensive for decent ones and to get the correct wattage to allow for 1.5-2 times the stated output of the various items.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

jabs1888uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Phoodilicious
We moved from Uk to US in February this year. We had only recently purchased a top quality 3D LED tv in the UK when we discovered we would be moving, the tv was just 4 months old. Only doing some research we were advised to do as many people have said on here - to sell the items in the UK and repurchase here (even though the company relocation meant we were not personally forking out for the cost of shipping our domestic goods).

We managed the sell the TV, HD blu-ray player and the 3D glasses (the expensive "active" type) on Ebay for only a little less than we had paid 4 months previously and over here we were able to buy the same TV, blu ray and glasses etc except for the next series up and a 55" instead of the 48" for the money we sold the UK ones for! We did buy a variety of transformers for other items we took however and the transformers are surprisingly expensive for decent ones and to get the correct wattage to allow for 1.5-2 times the stated output of the various items.

Thanks for that, im thinking to bring one 50 plasma here and sell the other 50 and 40. Where did you get the transformer from? I think we will use the 50 just as a game monitor for ps3 and wii, people on here have said there is issues with heat build up on transformers if you use for long periods fire risk even?
Old Oct 27th 2011, 12:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jabs1888uk
Thanks for that, im thinking to bring one 50 plasma here and sell the other 50 and 40. Where did you get the transformer from? I think we will use the 50 just as a game monitor for ps3 and wii, people on here have said there is issues with heat build up on transformers if you use for long periods fire risk even?
Transformers get very hot...they are bulky and heavy.

You can buy a 50" Panasonic Plasma TV for under $600 from Costco...and the prices are falling.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 12:02 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Amazon has good prices as well.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 12:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Amazon has good prices as well.
Do they offer an extra 1 yr warranty on electronics? If you buy at Costco you get 2 yrs warranty...3 yrs if you use a Costco AMEX card. On two occasions our laptops have died just before the 3 year mark...got a full refund.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 12:25 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure. Ours came with a 1 year warranty and my Amex extended it for another year.Our TV works great. I do love Costco though. Costco does have a 2year warranty on TV's but they recently changed their return policy on all electronics to 90 days. I had bought a blue ray player from Costco that stopped working after two months. They took it back without a receipt. I did have to have all the packing materials though.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 12:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I'm not sure. Ours came with a 1 year warranty and my Amex extended it for another year.Our TV works great. I do love Costco though. Costco does have a 2year warranty on TV's but they recently changed their return policy on all electronics to 90 days. I had bought a blue ray player from Costco that stopped working after two months. They took it back without a receipt. I did have to have all the packing materials though.
It's 90 days for a refund on electronic items but 2 yr warranty.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It's 90 days for a refund on electronic items but 2 yr warranty.
Right. That's why I said return policy
Old Oct 27th 2011, 12:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Right. That's why I said return policy
They've had the 90 return policy for several years.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

We bought the transformers on Amazon. We have several ranging from 500w to 3,000w but we don't have anything plugged into them that are working constantly or for long periods of time and we turn them off when we are done using them. They are mainly for my desktop pc (I tend to use my laptop rather than the PC for any long periods of work) and various kitchen appliances (blenders, electric wok, slow cookers, ice-cream/bread machine etc) so nothing that is left plugged in and running for hours on end.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
They've had the 90 return policy for several years.
I thought it was fairly recent since I had just read something about it. My mom's friend was actually able to return a washing machine that she had gotten at Costco over 5 years later and got a full refund!
Old Oct 27th 2011, 3:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoodilicious
...They are mainly for my desktop pc (I tend to use my laptop rather than the PC for any long periods of work)
Most desktops are duel voltage, some might have a red tab that's on the power supply at the tab that you flip over to 110v and then a case of getting a $2 power cable to plug in. A lot of newish PSU's are auto switching anyway these days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.