Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Plasma TVs, what size transformer do I need?

Plasma TVs, what size transformer do I need?

Old Oct 25th 2011, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

jabs1888uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Plasma TVs, what size transformer do I need?

for 50 inch, 40 inch 37 inch, not sure the power consumption of each?
Old Oct 25th 2011, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plasma TVs, what size transformer do I need?

You need to know what the power consumption is in order to answer that question.

In general I would recommend buying a transformer that is rated for at least twice the maximum power that you ever intend to draw from it.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 5:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jabs1888uk View Post
for 50 inch, 40 inch 37 inch, not sure the power consumption of each?
Why...are you bringing 3 TVs over from the UK? Unless your company are paying for transit it's not worthing bringing them with you...even then I don't know whether it's worth it.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 25th 2011 at 5:17 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you have dual standard TVs - that will display both PAL and NTSC 2 signals, you'll won't be able to watch local TV, and potentially cable/satellite too... if you are bringing a UK DVD or BlueRay player and have an extensive collection of UK DVDs then OK, otherwise sell these and buy new when you get here - they tend to be a little cheaper too...

I paid $30 for a DVD player once I got here, and by entering a code on the remote control, it will now play DVDs from anywhere in the world, so UK DVD collection safe!

If you are bringing these UK TVs over, select transformers that are rated for double what you intend to draw, as suggested by md95065 - and you could pay for these 3 transformers, what a reasonable 37" TV costs here, once you've located a quality supplier and paid shipping etc... these things are heavy!

So for your 37 & 40 inch models you are looking at consumptions of around 120-150 Watts per hour, so you'd need at least a 240-300W rated transformer..

You'll need a 500W unit for the biggest screen.

Good luck in the move!

Cheers

Harry
Old Oct 25th 2011, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider View Post
Unless you have dual standard TVs - that will display both PAL and NTSC 2 signals, you'll won't be able to watch local TV, and potentially cable/satellite too... if you are bringing a UK DVD or BlueRay player and have an extensive collection of UK DVDs then OK, otherwise sell these and buy new when you get here - they tend to be a little cheaper too...

I paid $30 for a DVD player once I got here, and by entering a code on the remote control, it will now play DVDs from anywhere in the world, so UK DVD collection safe!

If you are bringing these UK TVs over, select transformers that are rated for double what you intend to draw, as suggested by md95065 - and you could pay for these 3 transformers, what a reasonable 37" TV costs here, once you've located a quality supplier and paid shipping etc... these things are heavy!

So for your 37 & 40 inch models you are looking at consumptions of around 120-150 Watts per hour, so you'd need at least a 240-300W rated transformer..

You'll need a 500W unit for the biggest screen.

Good luck in the move!

Cheers

Harry
They are all relatively new plasma tvs all capable of receiving HDMI signals (or component) and operating at 50/60hz) I will only ever have them hooked to satellite or media player or PSR/wii, no co ax input required, so I should be good right?
Old Oct 25th 2011, 6:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thought plasma TV's were crap.

Would definitely sell them there and rebuy in the US.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 7:02 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
Thought plasma TV's were crap.

Would definitely sell them there and rebuy in the US.
That's what my husband did. He sold his TV's before he came over. The shipping cost probably wouldn't be worth it even if they did work over her.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 7:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar View Post
That's what my husband did. He sold his TV's before he came over. The shipping cost probably wouldn't be worth it even if they did work over her.
Getting it repaired could be a problem too.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Getting it repaired could be a problem too.
Company relocation so no shipping costs. Why would I need it repaired? As long as they are powered properly they should work as I am only using HDMI inputs and they are 50/60hz capable, or am I missing something?
Old Oct 25th 2011, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Company relocation so no shipping costs. Why would I need it repaired? As long as they are powered properly they should work as I am only using HDMI inputs and they are 50/60hz capable, or am I missing something?
Yep, it's 99% likely made in China so even more likely go T/U, normally 2 days after the warranty expires. It's a conspiracy.... A lot of flat screens are universal voltage input (certainly my 50" Panasonic, 37" vizio and 32" vizio are all univerals according to the screen printing on the back of the TV's). Did you actually check on the back what the acceptable voltage range is, or even just google it?
Old Oct 25th 2011, 10:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Electronic items never go wrong and never have to be repaired?
Old Oct 25th 2011, 10:26 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

If it has 50/60 hz it probably may also be multi-voltage. See if there is a switch somewhere on the back. We have a 5 year old 42" plasma from Pioneer [no longer made] and it works fine. The 26" LCD "Dynex" [Best Buy House Brand] is not dual voltage.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TimFountain View Post
Yep, it's 99% likely made in China so even more likely go T/U, normally 2 days after the warranty expires. It's a conspiracy.... A lot of flat screens are universal voltage input (certainly my 50" Panasonic, 37" vizio and 32" vizio are all univerals according to the screen printing on the back of the TV's). Did you actually check on the back what the acceptable voltage range is, or even just google it?
Yes i looked, they said 240v 50/60hz
Old Oct 25th 2011, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a generic response to questions like this which ask:

"How do I do X?"

It is:

"What you seek to do is possible - however, if you need to ask on an internet forum whether or not it is possible or how to do it then you, personally, probably should not attempt to do it."

In this specific case, the question originally posed by the OP strongly suggests to me that the OP does not have the necessary knowledge and experience to do this correctly and safely.

Sorry if this appears "harsh" but I have seen too many botched and unsafe electrical installations done by well meaning amateurs - so, if the OP is confident that they really know what they are doing then by all means go ahead but otherwise just take the easy way out - sell the TVs in the UK and buy new ones in the US.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Make sure you buy a fire extinguisher too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.