Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Photo Guide for Brits in Texas re: how to tip

Photo Guide for Brits in Texas re: how to tip

Old Oct 12th 2009, 4:46 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Photo Guide for Brits in Texas re: how to tip

10% is shit. For good service go at least 15 - 20% unless you're a bastard.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 4:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
10% is shit. For good service go at least 15 - 20% unless you're a bastard.
Ditto. And 25+% if you've worked in the industry AND the service was good.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 5:08 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman in Eugene
Kind of feels like blackmail or bribery, doesn't it? Why should you have to pay more to ensure they don't tamper with the goods?
While I agree that they should be paid a decent wage to start with, the reality is that they are not. The tip is not to ensure that they don't tamper with the goods - it is simply an expectation in this country. Accept it and move on. As a former resident of Eugene, I saw many people served last simply because their lack of tipping was common knowledge among all the college kids.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 5:10 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Ditto. And 25+% if you've worked in the industry AND the service was good.
Actually, 20% is the minimum for me if the service is good. I've never really worked in the industry but have two sisters that put themselves through school that way so I've been made a believer.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Thydney
Well in the UK there are no generous measures just standard amounts and watering down booze is <cough> illegal if weights and measures get you.
Yep we take being served short measures in our drinks very seriously back home. We don't care if we're served crap food and wouldn't dream of complaining, but if we suspect we've been served a bad or short drink that's a different story.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 3:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman in Eugene

I understand in parts of the US you tip bar staff, for the fantastic job they did in serving you a cold drink, but it varies from state to state, as does the acceptable amount of the tip.
Hmmmm....depends.

15% minimum, easy to work out, knock last digit off, half and add to that number.

20% has to be superb service, usually just rounding up the change.

If it's included in the bill, usually not add extra unless the service was great.

Bar staff though....well if they bring drinks to you, no problem, but if your waiting for a drink to be pulled at a bar, I won't tip till the end of the night and just tip the bar rather than a person. Bit cheeky if it's bottles of beer though.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

An US native friend of ours dines out in good restaurants a lot, and spends an absolute fortune on wine.

He is of the opinion that the figure upon which the tip is based EXCLUDES alcohol.

Does anyone else do this? Can anyone point me to an etiquette guide please?
Old Oct 13th 2009, 10:02 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
An US native friend of ours dines out in good restaurants a lot, and spends an absolute fortune on wine.

He is of the opinion that the figure upon which the tip is based EXCLUDES alcohol.

Does anyone else do this? Can anyone point me to an etiquette guide please?
Not alcohol per se, but I've learned it that way too, you don't tip on the wine (bottle).
Old Oct 13th 2009, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Not alcohol per se, but I've learned it that way too, you don't tip on the wine (bottle).
Ah that's interesting.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 10:11 pm

ok, this post needs qualifying. A little reading offers situations where I agree (and have done) that you should tip on the wine bottle purchase.
Cheapskate me hates to order wine in a restaurant unless my folks are buying.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

depends...if you eat out at Chilies and have a pint or a glass of house, you include it for tip....if your eating at a place that has $100 wines, then you don't tip that in the meal...worth tipping the chap who comes around with the bottle though so you don't get some skanky cheap shit as a substitute which most people wouldn't notice.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

jewishgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I'm confused here are you referring to Brits in the UK or Brits here? Do you mean that in the UK tip 10 percent or in the US if you're a Brit?

When I was waitressing back in the Dark Ages, 1.00 an hour was the normal wage, and 15 percent was the tip rate. Right or wrong that's the way it is so here it IS the custom of the country UNLESS it is included in the bill (usually for groups), so............

PS When I lived in Europe, we were told that service was included, BUT if we wished, we could round up the bill to the nearest whole figure as means of a tip.
I live in Dallas, so my bf when he lived here, tipped 10%
Old Oct 17th 2009, 5:11 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jewishgirl
I see.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by jewishgirl
What is the connection? I don't get it... Are Americans in Dallas more tightfisted tippers than the rest of us? You kicked in part of the tip on your BF's tabs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.