Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Photo Guide for Brits in Texas re: how to tip

Photo Guide for Brits in Texas re: how to tip

Old Oct 11th 2009, 1:19 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Photo Guide for Brits in Texas re: how to tip

Saw this today out on the net.

Old Oct 11th 2009, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Photo Guide for Brits in Texas re: how to tip

How about "Don't drink and drive!"
Old Oct 11th 2009, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I'll try to remember that!
Old Oct 11th 2009, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

Look both ways before crossing the road.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 6:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
I'll try to remember that!
lol, I'm trying to remember how long it took me to figure out that 'cheers' = 'thank you'!
Old Oct 11th 2009, 6:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You'll get a tip if you provide service
Old Oct 11th 2009, 8:23 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You'll get a tip if you provide service

Sometimes it's not enough to provide service, speaking as one who worked as a waitress, some people are just plain chintzy.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

knickerless girls should not climb trees
Old Oct 12th 2009, 12:41 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
knickerless girls should not climb trees
I disagree, except for my family of course.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Englishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud of

That's more about how not to tip. Positive information would be a more useful guide.

In the UK tipping is less common as a cultural norm, we tip waiters and waitresses, people who carry your bags to your hotel room (if you can't manage it yourself) and taxi drivers. If American tourists tip everybody, they're as likely to cause resentment (bloody Yanks flashing their money about) as get good service.

I understand in parts of the US you tip bar staff, for the fantastic job they did in serving you a cold drink, but it varies from state to state, as does the acceptable amount of the tip.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 3:38 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman in Eugene
That's more about how not to tip. Positive information would be a more useful guide.

In the UK tipping is less common as a cultural norm, we tip waiters and waitresses, people who carry your bags to your hotel room (if you can't manage it yourself) and taxi drivers. If American tourists tip everybody, they're as likely to cause resentment (bloody Yanks flashing their money about) as get good service.

I understand in parts of the US you tip bar staff, for the fantastic job they did in serving you a cold drink, but it varies from state to state, as does the acceptable amount of the tip.
There's more to it on tipping the bar staff- I've been told that in order to ensure a generous serving of the "good stuff" rather than a watered down version of it, you tip. That btw, is applicable to resorts in the Carib and Mexico, but I would think it's applicable elsewhere.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 3:49 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
There's more to it on tipping the bar staff- I've been told that in order to ensure a generous serving of the "good stuff" rather than a watered down version of it, you tip. That btw, is applicable to resorts in the Carib and Mexico, but I would think it's applicable elsewhere.
Well in the UK there are no generous measures just standard amounts and watering down booze is <cough> illegal if weights and measures get you.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Englishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Kind of feels like blackmail or bribery, doesn't it? Why should you have to pay more to ensure they don't tamper with the goods?
Old Oct 12th 2009, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

jewishgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishman in Eugene
Kind of feels like blackmail or bribery, doesn't it? Why should you have to pay more to ensure they don't tamper with the goods?
Tipping suxs here in Dallas, wait staff get $2.43 a hour, and have to rely on customers generosity.

Im against tipping and wanna see standard min wages paid across the board.

I dont get tipped as a head cashier at Home Depot, and besides if I did, i would hafta declare it and hand it in. That suxs.

You British folks, just 10% IF you wanna to tip, you dont have to, its YOUR choice. x.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 4:44 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by jewishgirl
Tipping suxs here in Dallas, wait staff get $2.43 a hour, and have to rely on customers generosity.

Im against tipping and wanna see standard min wages paid across the board.

I dont get tipped as a head cashier at Home Depot, and besides if I did, i would hafta declare it and hand it in. That suxs.

You British folks, just 10% IF you wanna to tip, you dont have to, its YOUR choice. x.
I'm confused here are you referring to Brits in the UK or Brits here? Do you mean that in the UK tip 10 percent or in the US if you're a Brit?

When I was waitressing back in the Dark Ages, 1.00 an hour was the normal wage, and 15 percent was the tip rate. Right or wrong that's the way it is so here it IS the custom of the country UNLESS it is included in the bill (usually for groups), so............

PS When I lived in Europe, we were told that service was included, BUT if we wished, we could round up the bill to the nearest whole figure as means of a tip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.