Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Personalised License Plate in PA, USA

Personalised License Plate in PA, USA

Old Feb 20th 2007, 11:53 pm
joycey

joyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud of
Default Personalised License Plate in PA, USA

Anyone know the how's and wherefore's about obtaining a personalised Licence plate for a car in the US? Is it the same as in the UK? I am about to buy a car from a private individual and would like a plate that reflects my background e.g. being a Brit..etc.. any info or ideas appreciated..
Old Feb 21st 2007, 12:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Personalised License Plate in PA, USA

Depends on your state, but the DMV would be the place to get it, up in maine, it cost $20 to get a standard plate punched, $20 to register it, and then $20 a year.

In Mass, it's $40 to get one punched, $70 to register a plate, and then $70 a year, on top of the usual cost of keeping a plate.

If you want a non standard plate, like a football team or college etc, those would be extra.

- http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/forms/ind...special_plates
Old Feb 21st 2007, 2:18 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by joyceygreen
Anyone know the how's and wherefore's about obtaining a personalised Licence plate for a car in the US? Is it the same as in the UK? I am about to buy a car from a private individual and would like a plate that reflects my background e.g. being a Brit..etc.. any info or ideas appreciated..
If your buying the car from a friend get them to say you paid half what you actually paid....as you will have to pay tax on the sale when you go register it.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 3:20 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

See if they have something like we have
where you can check to see what you want is available
everything I try is already gone ...
https://www6.hsmv.state.fl.us/mvchec...check/main.jsp
Old Feb 21st 2007, 3:21 am
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

When I change mine I just take a list down to the Courthouse and they check availability. One of my Brit friends here has BRIT10. Anything goes provided it is not offensive. I am changing mine in March and looking for some ideas too. Seven letters if standard unless you have a special plate then I think it's 5 or 6.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 3:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
If your buying the car from a friend get them to say you paid half what you actually paid....as you will have to pay tax on the sale when you go register it.
If your paying cash at a dealer, bung 'em a few bob and they'll do the same, if it's some dodgy garage
Old Feb 21st 2007, 3:55 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lynne
When I change mine I just take a list down to the Courthouse and they check availability. One of my Brit friends here has BRIT10. Anything goes provided it is not offensive. I am changing mine in March and looking for some ideas too. Seven letters if standard unless you have a special plate then I think it's 5 or 6.
Wanna bet?
Attached Thumbnails Personalised License Plate in PA, USA-bmw-licence-plate.jpg  
Old Feb 21st 2007, 1:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Rushman
Wanna bet?
until someone cottons on
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 9:08 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dmv.org/pa-pennsylvania/license-plates.php
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

I passed a 3 Series Beamer yesterday with a plate that said "Nailme", proving that even some Americans have a sense of humo(u)r. Mind you, it could have been Snowbunny of course ...
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 9:19 pm
joycey

joyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Personalised License Plate in PA, USA

Thankyou everyone for your hints and tips, which I will utilise, it will be fun to have some personalised plates as they were sooo expensive in the UK for me to consider.

I paid a deposit for the car today, so if you see a little Silver Miata (gears at last!!) with a Brit plate buzzing around PA...it's meeeeeeee!

Job well done ....Thanks Again!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 1:45 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joyceygreen
Thankyou everyone for your hints and tips, which I will utilise, it will be fun to have some personalised plates as they were sooo expensive in the UK for me to consider.

I paid a deposit for the car today, so if you see a little Silver Miata (gears at last!!) with a Brit plate buzzing around PA...it's meeeeeeee!

Job well done ....Thanks Again!
Just noticed where you live. You could be at Wegmans before the engine warms up, but don't tell JG.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 7:37 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Personal plates are so sad.