Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Holiday to UK/immigration at Gatwick

Holiday to UK/immigration at Gatwick

Old Feb 24th 2007, 5:12 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Holiday to UK/immigration at Gatwick

I am American, married to a UKC. We lived in London for awhile, so I have a Limited Leave to Remain (spousal) visa in my passport that expires in Jul 07.

Next week, I will be traveling to London for 6-days as a "tour guide" with a small group of women. I'd like to go through immigration first - should I go through the UK Visa line or, to avoid any long explanation, just go through the Tourist line???

Thanks,
Old Feb 24th 2007, 5:18 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday to UK/immigration at Gatwick

If memory serves you have to thru the non EC line ...
Old Feb 25th 2007, 3:17 am
DDL

Default Holiday to UK/immigration at Gatwick

Thanks, Ray
Old Feb 25th 2007, 3:44 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
I am American, married to a UKC. We lived in London for awhile, so I have a Limited Leave to Remain (spousal) visa in my passport that expires in Jul 07.

Next week, I will be traveling to London for 6-days as a "tour guide" with a small group of women. I'd like to go through immigration first - should I go through the UK Visa line or, to avoid any long explanation, just go through the Tourist line???

Thanks,
UK Immigration doesn't have the same signage as in the US so there's no line for UK permanent residents. Ray's probably right. However, you should prepare yourself for any questions regarding your Limited Leave to Remain because my spouse, a USC, got questioned a lot, because in the past he had "Indefinite Leave to Remain" for the UK (it had expired some time before he returned to visit the UK but UK Immigration did ask a lot of questions).

NC Penguin
Old Feb 25th 2007, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

In actual fact, you will likely have an easier time of it going through the non EU line!!!

I flew into Gatwick 2 weeks ago direct from Tampa - On arrival at immigration, I went through the non-EU line with my wife and daughter - we didn't queue at all, straight through! By contrast, the returning residents line was very slow moving due to the sheer volume of tourists returning to the UK after a 2 week beer n chips Orlando/St Petersburg all inclusive. I suppose it depends where you are flying from - obviously not many people from Florida visiting the UK in the middle of winter!
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:49 am
DDL

Thanks for the feedback. We'll be arriving from Atlanta, on a Saturday. We'll all just make a bee-line for non EU-line and - as always - I'll be prepared for questions about my LLR.