British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Holiday to UK/immigration at Gatwick (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/holiday-uk-immigration-gatwick-430067/)

DDL Feb 24th 2007 5:12 am

Holiday to UK/immigration at Gatwick

I am American, married to a UKC. We lived in London for awhile, so I have a Limited Leave to Remain (spousal) visa in my passport that expires in Jul 07.

Next week, I will be traveling to London for 6-days as a "tour guide" with a small group of women. I'd like to go through immigration first - should I go through the UK Visa line or, to avoid any long explanation, just go through the Tourist line??? :confused:

Thanks,

Ray Feb 24th 2007 5:18 am

Re: Holiday to UK/immigration at Gatwick

If memory serves you have to thru the non EC line ...

DDL Feb 25th 2007 3:17 am

Holiday to UK/immigration at Gatwick

Thanks, Ray ;)

NC Penguin Feb 25th 2007 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by DDL (Post 4449111)
I am American, married to a UKC. We lived in London for awhile, so I have a Limited Leave to Remain (spousal) visa in my passport that expires in Jul 07.

Next week, I will be traveling to London for 6-days as a "tour guide" with a small group of women. I'd like to go through immigration first - should I go through the UK Visa line or, to avoid any long explanation, just go through the Tourist line??? :confused:

Thanks,

UK Immigration doesn't have the same signage as in the US so there's no line for UK permanent residents. Ray's probably right. However, you should prepare yourself for any questions regarding your Limited Leave to Remain because my spouse, a USC, got questioned a lot, because in the past he had "Indefinite Leave to Remain" for the UK (it had expired some time before he returned to visit the UK but UK Immigration did ask a lot of questions).

NC Penguin

Dan725 Feb 25th 2007 11:43 pm

In actual fact, you will likely have an easier time of it going through the non EU line!!!

I flew into Gatwick 2 weeks ago direct from Tampa - On arrival at immigration, I went through the non-EU line with my wife and daughter - we didn't queue at all, straight through! By contrast, the returning residents line was very slow moving due to the sheer volume of tourists returning to the UK after a 2 week beer n chips Orlando/St Petersburg all inclusive. I suppose it depends where you are flying from - obviously not many people from Florida visiting the UK in the middle of winter! :lol:

DDL Feb 26th 2007 3:49 am

Thanks for the feedback. We'll be arriving from Atlanta, on a Saturday. We'll all just make a bee-line for non EU-line and - as always - I'll be prepared for questions about my LLR. :blink: