Reload this Page >

Pension reporting to IRS, help!

Pension reporting to IRS, help!

Old Jan 27th 2020, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

ca2020 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pension reporting to IRS, help!

I am completely confused!

I have a UK pension - no distribution - it's just sitting there accruing, has been for many years. It recently passed the $10,000 threshold for filing an FBAR... in fact, I think I need to retroactively file a couple of FBARs. I know that I don't need to file any 8938s because I'm way under the threshold.

This, I can deal with. But this year's tax return and any amended tax returns to go with the old FBARs? I'm totally stumped. Where do I report this pension? I usually file with Turbo Tax. But obviously if I need to file a 1040X, I'll have to do that on paper. I looked it over, and I have no idea where my pension goes, if anywhere. I've tried reading IRS instructions and I can't make head nor tail of it.

In other words, I have a ~$12,000 pension pot, from which I take no income. Where do I report this on the 1040? (and by extension, any 1040X that I must file).

Can anyone help me understand? I'd really appreciate it.

EDITED TO ADD: I should have mentioned that when I follow Turbo Tax to "uncommon tax situations", it tells me that since I'm under $100,000/$150,000 I don't need to report. Does that really mean nothing goes on my 1040? And if so, nothing goes on the 1040X?

Last edited by ca2020; Jan 27th 2020 at 5:15 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 7:16 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pension reporting to IRS, help!

Where do you report it on the 1040? Nowhere - there’s no income to report. 1040 is just for income. You are not required to report pensions and other assets that you’re not taking a distribution from.

So, the only new thing is the FBAR.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pension reporting to IRS, help!

You will already be completing Schedule B, Part III of the 1040 each year. If you are not, additional comments may be sensible.