Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting first UK passports for kids

Getting first UK passports for kids

Old Jan 29th 2020, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

NatVHW is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Getting first UK passports for kids

Passport photo help! I'm a Brit, living in the US with my US born kids. I am applying for the kids to have UK passports which can be done online, however, the usual passport photo places do not seem to provide digital photos with the necessary code required for the passport application. Has anybody found anywhere in the US that provides this service?
Old Jan 29th 2020, 5:57 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting first UK passports for kids

You don't need a digital code. You can even take the photo yourself.

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/photo/digital-photo

How to get a digital passport photo

Photo taken at home

Get someone to take your photo using a digital camera, smartphone or tablet.

Photo taken in a booth or shop

You can go to a:
  • photo booth or shop and get a code to add the photo to your application
  • photo shop and get a digital photo
Old Jan 29th 2020, 6:07 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you’re starting in the right place: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

As lansbury says, you can just take a digital photo yourself at home and upload it to the application.
Old Jan 29th 2020, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

NatVHW is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys. I did see that, I guess I just would prefer to avoid the potential back and forth if their requirements are not met exactly and have somebody else do it. But it looks like I'll be giving it a whirl! Thanks!
Old Jan 29th 2020, 8:06 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatVHW
Thanks guys. I did see that, I guess I just would prefer to avoid the potential back and forth if their requirements are not met exactly and have somebody else do it. But it looks like I'll be giving it a whirl! Thanks!
The system should automatically assess the photos as soon as you upload them.
Old Jan 29th 2020, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The system should automatically assess the photos as soon as you upload them.

Agree.... so if the photos are not suitable you get to know immediately and can take them again.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 2:06 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Agree.... so if the photos are not suitable you get to know immediately and can take them again.
Or override the "objection" and submit them anyway, which is what I did for my son's passport and it was issued just fine with the "non-compliant" photo. As far as we could tell it was fine though the automated system didn't like it, so it must have been borderline on something that was okayed later on in the process.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 2:22 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatVHW
Passport photo help! I'm a Brit, living in the US with my US born kids. I am applying for the kids to have UK passports which can be done online, however, the usual passport photo places do not seem to provide digital photos with the necessary code required for the passport application. Has anybody found anywhere in the US that provides this service?
Where I am (Chicago area) both Walgreens and CVS drug stores have computerized systems where they can just plug in the correct dimensions for a UK passport, and then they take and print the photos for you. Dirt cheap, instant, and easy, used it many times. You just have to be aware of what the government wants, as in no smiling, face forward, no face coverings, etc.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 2:46 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Walgreens recommendation. Almost all stores do it. Its fast and easy.