Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

pension problems

pension problems

Old Oct 8th 2009, 9:19 am

Adelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant future
Default Re: pension problems

Originally Posted by alba1
is anyone having problems with the international pension service? I feel that I am on a merry-go-round. I have applied for a UK pension and have received so many different and incorrect answers from the pension service that my head is spinning.
When I initially inquired, I was told I was not eligible at all as I did not work for the required time. I accepted this. Then I found out that I could use my US contributions and/or pay voluntary contributions so determined to apply.
Now I find that the time span for voluntary contributions has expired. I am so mad because if I had been informed correctly I would have paid VC.
I have sent in documents which cannot be found even though the US Post office tracking system says delivered. I also sent a letter of complaint. Once again registered mail and delivered but no one can find it. This is all very discouraging. I am not looking for something for nothing.
These are not large amounts but as I am hoping to return to UK with few assets and do not plan on claiming extra benefits, every little bit will help.
Hi alba1,

It took the DWP 4 months to sort out my pension. I had to request 2 revisions as they got it wrong twice before finally arriving at the correct figure. I was in Australia so I can't help you with respect to your entitlements. Australia had a reciprocal agreement with the UK up until 2001 and I'm not sure what the situation is with the US.

I've heard of many peolple having problems with the DWP. I think they have a very poor system. You hardly ever communicate with the same person twice, and instead of writing and answering your questions, they often just send you a form. I think you have to be persistent.

All the best and don't give up,
Adelia
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

alba1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Adelia
Hi alba1,

It took the DWP 4 months to sort out my pension. I had to request 2 revisions as they got it wrong twice before finally arriving at the correct figure. I was in Australia so I can't help you with respect to your entitlements. Australia had a reciprocal agreement with the UK up until 2001 and I'm not sure what the situation is with the US.

I've heard of many peolple having problems with the DWP. I think they have a very poor system. You hardly ever communicate with the same person twice, and instead of writing and answering your questions, they often just send you a form. I think you have to be persistent.

Adelia
New Installment... called Pension Service today. 2 international calls...found out complaint has been opened and they are sending me a letter in reply.
I will update when received.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Adelia
Hi alba1,

Adelia
sorry forgot to reply...US and UK have agreement. US contributions can be used. I requested the formula so that i could check figures but woman told me it was too complicated. she rambled a bit. I figured it was prorata but cannot come up with the same answer as her so maybe she's right and it is too complicated.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Alba1, don't hold your breath waiting for a letter, I have just read, online, that the UK Postal Union has voted for an all out strike.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 5:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if a postal strike would necessarily delay things. DWP and Civil Service Pension letters have been arriving here via France or Sweden. They may use a courier rather than Royal Mail.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boodles
Alba1, don't hold your breath waiting for a letter, I have just read, online, that the UK Postal Union has voted for an all out strike.
this would be my luck.. You have to have a sense of humor about all this. It's like a never ending saga. Hopefully my documents get off prior to this.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Don't know if a postal strike would necessarily delay things. DWP and Civil Service Pension letters have been arriving here via France or Sweden. They may use a courier rather than Royal Mail.
I am sure that everything will be prioritized. Though I am not sure how important a complaint is. I have been told that my complaint is official now and that the decision will be made by an independent third party. I sure hope so. I would accept correspondence by email and/or phone( except the docs. of course) They are not set up for that but can fax. I no longer have my fax and do not want to have this go through my work. So now I wait.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 4:36 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

The closer I get to full retirement $80-$100 month looks like more and more. Yes, I will receive a US pension but who can live on pensions alone without substantial
private funds and/or savings. After the downturns of the last 3 years looks like I will not have any or much of these. As a single I have only myself to rely on.
Work in UK may be out of question even though I would be willing.
Have you though of using your small number of UK NI payments to top up you're US payments? That way you'd get some credit for them and a slightly larger US SS payment.

Look on the bright side US social security is a better benefit than the UK state pension anyway. How many years of US SS payments do you have? have you obtained a payment projection from the SS Administration.

There are a number of good booklets available on this subject and it's important to check up on the rules every so often. I've been in the US for over 20 years and have been doing Class3 and then Class 2 payments for all that time. In fact the pension service told be a few years ago that I will be able to stop payments when I get to 30 years worth, but won't be eligible for a UK pension until I'm 66.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nun
Have you though of using your small number of UK NI payments to top up you're US payments? That way you'd get some credit for them and a slightly larger US SS payment.

Look on the bright side US social security is a better benefit than the UK state pension anyway. How many years of US SS payments do you have? have you obtained a payment projection from the SS Administration.

There are a number of good booklets available on this subject and it's important to check up on the rules every so often. I've been in the US for over 20 years and have been doing Class3 and then Class 2 payments for all that time. In fact the pension service told be a few years ago that I will be able to stop payments when I get to 30 years worth, but won't be eligible for a UK pension until I'm 66.
yes, I checked into both ways.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 6:26 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

yes, I checked into both ways.
So use the UK payments to top up the US SS. The only thing you will have missed out on is paying UK voluntary contributions. Many people are glad that they don't have to continue NI when they leave the country. You'll get a pension that is probably more than most UK residents based on your US SS.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 6:39 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
So use the UK payments to top up the US SS. The only thing you will have missed out on is paying UK voluntary contributions. Many people are glad that they don't have to continue NI when they leave the country. You'll get a pension that is probably more than most UK residents based on your US SS.
Depending on exchange rates, it may not be such a great thing, or a wonderful thing
Old Oct 9th 2009, 6:49 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Depending on exchange rates, it may not be such a great thing, or a wonderful thing
The dollar would have to really collapse. Basic UK pension is now 95 pounds a week. I have 15 years of US SS contributions and my projected pension at 62 is already $250 a week. Using $1.6/pound that's 156 pounds/week. Of course my US SS is based on my earnings and I haven't included the UK supplementary pension as I don't get that.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
The dollar would have to really collapse.
Like the £ has against the $CAN you mean?
The £ was at $2.40 in 2004. It's $1.65 now.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 8:04 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
The dollar would have to really collapse. Basic UK pension is now 95 pounds a week. I have 15 years of US SS contributions and my projected pension at 62 is already $250 a week. Using $1.6/pound that's 156 pounds/week. Of course my US SS is based on my earnings and I haven't included the UK supplementary pension as I don't get that.
Are you sure you are reading that right.
I just pulled my forecast out, after close to 20 years (a few 0 income years in there having babies) I am forecast to receive $275 a MONTH.
I'm hoping to add my years to the UK pension just to make it up a bit.
We should be OK, Dh's US forecast is over $1,000 a month Plus his teamster pension.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 8:13 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Are you sure you are reading that right.
I just pulled my forecast out, after close to 20 years (a few 0 income years in there having babies) I am forecast to receive $275 a MONTH.
I'm hoping to add my years to the UK pension just to make it up a bit.
We should be OK, Dh's US forecast is over $1,000 a month Plus his teamster pension.
Yes I'm sure. The US SS calculation depends on the amount you earn as well as number of years you pay in so there can be a lot of variation. I haven't paid US SS for a few years as I work for state government and have a state retirement plan, but I still keep up my NI contributions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.