Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Paying tax on a UK private pesnion in USA

Paying tax on a UK private pesnion in USA

Old Sep 29th 2018, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

fiddle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paying tax on a UK private pesnion in USA

Hello, I would appreciate anybody's help on the subject of paying tax in the UK and USA on personal/private pensions. I have just arranged for two personal pension plans to be paid as a lump sum. I am a UK citizen and USA permanent resident. I have been in the USA since 2002. I do not pay any UK taxes. The British HMRC told me that these lump sums remain taxable in the UK, no exemption is available and they are taxable in full. I thought that I was able to reclaim the tax that had been stopped by the Insurance companies, but apparently not. I will be checking with my USA accountant on this, but does anybody know if I have to pay USA taxes on these lump sums, bearing in mind that I have already paid tax in the UK. I am aware of the double taxation treaty but I believe I did not fully understand the implications of taking your UK pension as a lump sum, as opposed to buying an annuity. I would appreciate anybody's advice on this. Many thanks indeed.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying tax on a UK private pesnion in USA

You will have already been reporting these each year on your FBAR; and - if required Form 8938. A lump sum is only UK taxable, but at graduated rates. If the PAYE is too high you can file a UK return and get a refund. If you elect to claim the treaty in the US there is no US tax (at the Federal level at least).
Old Oct 1st 2018, 3:18 am
Just Joined

fiddle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Paying tax on a UK private pesnion in USA

Many thanks indeed 'Cook County.' Your response is very much appreciated.