Passports

Old Oct 10th 2006, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

bettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Passports

I have my citizenship interview next week so I was wondering, once I get an american passport, obviously i still would have to use that to get back into America when I go home, but can i still use my british passport to get into England or so i have to use the american one for that as well.
I didnt know if they tracked things and would wonder why i was leaving america and not actually arriving anywhere if that makes sense?
Old Oct 10th 2006, 3:16 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passports

Originally Posted by bettyboop80
I have my citizenship interview next week so I was wondering, once I get an american passport, obviously i still would have to use that to get back into America when I go home, but can i still use my british passport to get into England or so i have to use the american one for that as well.
I didnt know if they tracked things and would wonder why i was leaving america and not actually arriving anywhere if that makes sense?
general rule of thumb.

Use your American one in America
Use your British one in Britain.
(but I'd use the american one in the EU for all the lovely stamps ya get)
Old Oct 10th 2006, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

I leave the US on my UK passport and return to the US on my US passport - not had any problems so far!
Old Oct 10th 2006, 5:41 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

I would strongly recommend you use your U.S passport to enter and leave the U.K. You do want that little stamp in your passport. The U.S. grudgingly accepts dual with the U.K. and those delightful immigration officers can get quite testy and make things difficult. My experience, heading back to the U.S. after entering the U.K. with my British one, was asked by U.S. immigration officers why I travelled with two passports and which nationality do I consider myself to be. Had I said British, they would have confiscated my U.S. one. It it legal for them to do so, so please be warned.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 5:55 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
I would strongly recommend you use your U.S passport to enter and leave the U.K. You do want that little stamp in your passport. The U.S. grudgingly accepts dual with the U.K. and those delightful immigration officers can get quite testy and make things difficult. My experience, heading back to the U.S. after entering the U.K. with my British one, was asked by U.S. immigration officers why I travelled with two passports and which nationality do I consider myself to be. Had I said British, they would have confiscated my U.S. one. It it legal for them to do so, so please be warned.
I don't think I could disagree more.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:26 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Crap!

Answer: when presenting myself to US officials such as yourselves, I'm a US citizen. When presenting myself to anybody else for any reason whatsoever, it's none of your effing business.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

In all the years that I travelled with my green card, I never had my passport stamped when travelling between US/UK!

Can you explain a little more why it is legal for them to confiscate a US passport, I don't remember reading anywhere that they have a right to do that if you are not breaking any laws!

I'd certainly appreciate more info on this!

Thanks!
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:04 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Are you nuts?

Before posting such nonsense, and potentially worrying a lot of dual citizens, you had better check your facts!
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by limeynus
In all the years that I travelled with my green card, I never had my passport stamped when travelling between US/UK!

Can you explain a little more why it is legal for them to confiscate a US passport, I don't remember reading anywhere that they have a right to do that if you are not breaking any laws!

Thanks!
We have travelled on our UK PP's and GC's for over 8 yrs and have always had them stamped when travelling between the US and UK.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 10th 2006 at 8:29 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:37 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Crap!
Yes !! that would summarize the statement .....
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Why does US immigration even know you have two nationalities's passports in your possession when entering the US? You should not let the UK passport be seen. You only create problems for yourself!
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

I have dual citizenship and I have travelled regularly (two or three times a year for the last 6 years) between the UK and the US using both passports. It has never been a problem. Check out the state dept website. There is a section on dual citizenship.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 7:47 pm
Northern git

Wiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to all

I'm not a US citizen, just a GC holder, but can't for the life of me understand why using the British PP to enter Britain (EU) and the US PP to enter the US would be an issue at all, otherwise why would they even allow one to have dual citizenship ?
Old Oct 10th 2006, 8:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by limeynus

Thanks!
It isn't.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 12:01 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
It isn't.
Here's the thing. I travelled countless time using both passports and last year I was stopped by U.S. immigration and asked why I do not have an entry stamp to the U.K.? I then had to declare my British passport. It was then that I was pulled aside, questioned and then asked to declare my nationality. Had I stated British or dual I would have had some serious problems. On returning back to the my home state my hubs and I had an appointment with an immigration officer to get more information on this issue. We were once again told that it was legal as the U.S. does not recognize dual even if the U.K. does. I consulted with an immigration lawyer to get verification of this. He confirmed what we had been told. Believe me, the sh*t my husband and I went through in JFK with this crap was mind boggling. He too has stopped using his British passport when travelling back to the U.K. When we travel anywhere outside of the U.S. we use our British passports.

Hey, this is what we experienced and what we learned from it. Take it as you may.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.