Passports

Old Oct 11th 2006, 12:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passports

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
I would strongly recommend you use your U.S passport to enter and leave the U.K. You do want that little stamp in your passport. The U.S. grudgingly accepts dual with the U.K. and those delightful immigration officers can get quite testy and make things difficult. My experience, heading back to the U.S. after entering the U.K. with my British one, was asked by U.S. immigration officers why I travelled with two passports and which nationality do I consider myself to be. Had I said British, they would have confiscated my U.S. one. It it legal for them to do so, so please be warned.
The golden rule is to ALWAYS identify yourself as an American to U.S. officials. What passport you use overseas is none of their business.

Incidentally, Customs & Border Protection officials are part of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). U.S. citizenship law is the responsibility of the State Department, not the Department of Homeland Security and they are the only ones who can say who is or is not a U.S. citizen.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 12:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Just a little off topic. Recently when checking in for departure on a cruise, I was told the cruise company would keep my UK PP and GC until we returned to the US. I didn't know the legalities of keeping the GC but refused to hand over my UK PP...I told them it was the property of the UK Government and they had absolutely no right to keep it. They kept the GC only and it was returned when we docked in NJ.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 12:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
The golden rule is to ALWAYS identify yourself as an American to U.S. officials. What passport you use overseas is none of their business.

Incidentally, Customs & Border Protection officials are part of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). U.S. citizenship law is the responsibility of the State Department, not the Department of Homeland Security and they are the only ones who can say who is or is not a U.S. citizen.

I wouldn't want to point that out to the officer at the POE. Best to be polite and if they say jump you ask how high.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 12:28 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Just a little off topic. Recently when checking in for departure on a cruise, I was told the cruise company would keep my UK PP and GC until we returned to the US. I didn't know the legalities of keeping the GC but refused to hand over my UK PP...I told them it was the property of the UK Government and they had absolutely no right to keep it. They kept the GC only and it was returned when we docked in NJ.

Bloody cheek!!!
Old Oct 11th 2006, 1:01 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I wouldn't even hand over my GC. If they started to get stroppy, I'd demand a full refund.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 1:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
I wouldn't even hand over my GC. If they started to get stroppy, I'd demand a full refund.
I didn't know if they legally could keep the GC but knew they couldn't keep the PP. It threw them when I said my PP was the property of the crown...I half expected them to ask if I'd met the Queen.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 1:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't want to point that out to the officer at the POE. Best to be polite and if they say jump you ask how high.
Of course you should be polite! I wasn't suggesting otherwise.

But if you're a US citizen and the officer begins to question that, he has no basis on which to do so. If he starts trying to confiscate your passport or something like that, then it's time to speak to his supervisor.

Being polite doesn't mean allowing yourself to be intimidated. Know your rights.

Last edited by JAJ; Oct 11th 2006 at 1:13 am.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 1:12 am
JAJ
Retired

I didn't know if they legally could keep the GC but knew they couldn't keep the PP. It threw them when I said my PP was the property of the crown...I half expected them to ask if I'd met the Queen.
Most passports are the property of the issuing government. If a foreign government tried to "confiscate" a British or American passport, that's the kind of thing that could cause a diplomatic incident.

That said, it's fairly normal for cruise lines to hold the passports of passengers in order to speed immigration clearance at the various ports en route.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 1:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by JAJ
Of course you should be polite! I wasn't suggesting otherwise.

But if you're a US citizen and the officer begins to question that, he has no basis on which to do so. If he starts trying to confiscate your passport or something like that, then it's time to speak to his supervisor.
It was a joke.

I know you weren't suggesting otherwise.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 1:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by JAJ
Most passports are the property of the issuing government. If a foreign government tried to "confiscate" a British or American passport, that's the kind of thing that could cause a diplomatic incident.

That said, it's fairly normal for cruise lines to hold the passports of passengers in order to speed immigration clearance at the various ports en route.
What about the GC...can they legally keep hold of it? BTW it was the cruise line's check in staff not a government official.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the thing. I travelled countless time using both passports and last year I was stopped by U.S. immigration and asked why I do not have an entry stamp to the U.K.? I then had to declare my British passport.
Why didn't you just say "they didn't stamp it"? Which, if you think about it, would have been the truth even if you'd entered the UK on a British passport

Personally, I never use my US passport except to enter and exit the US.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 1:45 am
JAJ
Retired

What about the GC...can they legally keep hold of it? BTW it was the cruise line's check in staff not a government official.
I very much doubt they have any legal right to demand it. But it may be a condition of travel with them that you let them have your immigration documents.

They will give it back at the end of the trip. Or are you afraid they will lose it?
Old Oct 11th 2006, 3:20 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Why didn't you just say "they didn't stamp it"?
What can I tell you, when put on the spot, I just didn't think to lie. In fact I was not aware that it would have been an issue as I had been in and out of the U.S. on both passports for a few years. I recall during the citizenship thing, they had most folk surrender their foreign passports except the British ones.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 3:30 am
medusas peligrosas

mozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond repute

What can I tell you, when put on the spot, I just didn't think to lie. In fact I was not aware that it would have been an issue as I had been in and out of the U.S. on both passports for a few years. I recall during the citizenship thing, they had most folk surrender their foreign passports except the British ones.

Do you mean at the Oath ceremony, the new citizens had to give up their old passports?
Old Oct 11th 2006, 3:43 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mozoo
Do you mean at the Oath ceremony, the new citizens had to give up their old passports?
Yup, they were taken when they handed out the citizenship certificates. There were about 9 of us Brits and we were the only ones that were told we could keep our passports.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.