Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport Requirements For Travel In North America

Passport Requirements For Travel In North America

Old Sep 15th 2006, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Passport Requirements For Travel In North America

Okay,

Here is a link to the US Government's latest rules, concerning travel between the USA, Canada & Mexico......along with a few other countries.

Read the page carefully!

Jim.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Last edited by Scouse Express; Sep 15th 2006 at 1:08 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Requirements For Travel In North America

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Okay,

Here is a link to the US Government's latest rules, concerning travel between the USA, Canada & Mexico......along with a few other countries.

Read the page carefully!

Jim.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Thanks for that. Looks like some yanks will be queuing up to get passports! I was always amazed that they could travel to the country north and those south without one.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

It's about time too ! .............. We Brits have always had to have passports to og to France ................ If anyone actually wants to go to France
Old Sep 15th 2006, 11:32 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
It's about time too ! .............. We Brits have always had to have passports to og to France ................ If anyone actually wants to go to France
Last time i went to paris, took the eurostar, never got asked for my passport once but that was some time ago...
Old Sep 16th 2006, 12:27 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
Thanks for that. Looks like some yanks will be queuing up to get passports! I was always amazed that they could travel to the country north and those south without one.
And the other way around, too ;-) Canucks and Mexicans can travel to the US without passports.

I agree with you and always show my passport when going to Canada.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 12:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

When the British ID card is introduced, the card issued to British citizens will be ok for travel in the EEA states (plus Switzerland,probably)
Old Sep 16th 2006, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
And the other way around, too ;-) Canucks and Mexicans can travel to the US without passports.

I agree with you and always show my passport when going to Canada.
Too right--thanks for correcting me.

I was thinking of the oft reported newspaper story about how only 20% of Americans have passports, and my other half told me that one reason is because they only need passports to go to another continent (Europe, Africa, Asia, etc) and not their neighbouring countries. I didn't believe him, but obviously he proved to be correct. His family often took lots of hols to Mexico and the Caribbean but many of them didn't have passports--always seemed a bit odd to me.

Glad it's changing--it seems only appropriate.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 1:43 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

That's not quite true. I went to Paris in the 80s on a school trip. I forgot to carry my passport but when I reached Dover, I found it was not needed to gain entry to France at the time.

NC Penguin
Old Sep 16th 2006, 1:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
That's not quite true. I went to Paris in the 80s on a school trip. I forgot to carry my passport but when I reached Dover, I found it was not needed to gain entry to France at the time.
You were probably just lucky - a passport or national ID card has always been required to go to France.

Although there was the old British Visitors Passport until 1995 or so.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 8:06 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
When the British ID card is introduced, the card issued to British citizens will be ok for travel in the EEA states (plus Switzerland,probably)
If
Old Sep 16th 2006, 11:38 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
You were probably just lucky - a passport or national ID card has always been required to go to France.

Although there was the old British Visitors Passport until 1995 or so.
I was going to remind you of those. The visitors passport could be obtained just before you got on the ferry (it was before 1995 though that this stopped. In fact I believe it was even before 1990) so there was no need for us Brits to have a full passport to leave the country.